GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jan 2019, 04:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     January 19, 2019

     January 19, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     January 20, 2019

     January 20, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     07:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 273
Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Sep 2018, 22:20
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:08) correct 39% (01:17) wrong based on 325 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been the recent unexpected failure of the gene therapy treatment, the cancer therapy research team applied for additional government funding to further research the treatment.


A. their more challenging hurdles has been the recent

B. their more challenging hurdles has been the recently

C. its more challenging hurdles is the recent

D. its more challenging hurdles had been the recent

E. its more challenging hurdles had been the recently

Originally posted by TomB on 25 Jul 2011, 12:51.
Last edited by Bunuel on 18 Sep 2018, 22:20, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 375
Location: United States (MA)
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2011, 14:00
1
Simplyfying given sentence,

Citing the fact that, their challenging hurdle has been the recent unexpected failure <some> treatment, the team applied for additional funding

1st error : their. Its used for 'team', so should be 'its'. Options A n B are out.
2nd error : has been. Need to use past perfect to indicate that this happened before they applied for funding. So C is also out.
3rd error : the recent. recently is right.

So answer is E.

More on recent vs recently

- “recent” is an adjective, and “recently” is an adverb.

Ex
The recent advances in technology have combined block level and file level storage systems together.
This situation has more recently been reversed, and there is now a wide availability of reasonably priced expert system


Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2011
Posts: 58
Location: India
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2011, 04:08
1
Shouldnt recent be modifying failure instead of unexpected, and hence be in the adjective form?
_________________

My debrief - http://gmatclub.com/forum/770-q50-v44-on-my-first-attempt-debrief-118007.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 173
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2011, 08:56
2
rish2jain wrote:
Shouldnt recent be modifying failure instead of unexpected, and hence be in the adjective form?


I agree with you.

In the sentence "...has been the recent [unexpected] failure of...", if you omit 'unexpected', "the recently failure of" doesn't make sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 373
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2011, 08:36
OA is D

http://answers.knewton.com/entries/2003 ... hat-one-of
_________________

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2011
Posts: 216
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2011, 09:41
two questions,

1. why "its" vs "their"? the subject is "team" correct? do we consider team singular, like one team, or plural as consisting of many members?
2. why had been vs has been, aren't both in the past tense?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Posts: 23
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 23:09
D looks correct to me, can someone explain when past perfect is used, i tend to get confused with it...thx!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 477
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2011, 01:51
D is the clear winner here.

We need an adjective before a noun to modify the Noun.

Crick
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 73
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2011, 17:06
Crick, Can you please explain why we need past perfect here. Why C would be wrong?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2011, 18:35
Can you please explain why we need past perfect here. Why C would be wrong?


When 2 events happen in the past, we use past perfect to refer to event that happened first and simple past to refer to subsequent event.

For example:
Simple Past: I called him at 8pm (Event in the past happening at a specific time)
Present Perfect: I have called him previously (Event at unspecified time in the past)
Past Perfect: He had called me twice before I called him.
(He had called me twice - Past Perfect - First Event
I called him - Simple Past - Second Event)

Here the "Unexpected Failure" is the first event and
"Applied for the funding" is the second event
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2011
Posts: 137
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2011, 19:40
I disagree with the OA. Check out this post. It's an official gmat question.

dr-tonegawa-won-the-nobel-prize-for-discovering-how-the-51882.html

The question in the post above reflects the correct usage of adverb/adjective. Likewise, in this question we need an adverb to modify the adjective unexpected, hence E should be the answer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 12:56
What is "recent" modifying -- is it unexpected or the failure? It makes more sense for the failure to be recent, than for the unexpectedness to be recent.

Recent should be the correct answer here.
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 466
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 13:01
bharatsanthanam wrote:
What is "recent" modifying -- is it unexpected or the failure? It makes more sense for the failure to be recent, than for the unexpectedness to be recent.

Recent should be the correct answer here.


Recent(adj) and unexpected (adj) both modify failures (nouns)
_________________

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 170
Location: United States
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 19:05
what is the correct answer? does an adverb always modify adjective?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2911
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 09:45
2
dina98 wrote:
what is the correct answer? does an adverb always modify adjective?


The intended meaning is that the failure is recent not that the expectation is recent. The adverb "recently" wrongly modifies "unexpected", whereas the adjective "recent" correctly modifies the noun "failure".

A. 2 errors
1. The plural pronoun "their" does not agree with singular "team".
2. Present perfect "has been" is wrong - past perfect needs to be used since the verb occurs within a statement ("citing") that occurred in past - occurred before "citing".

B. 3 errors
1. The plural pronoun "their" does not agree with singular "team".
2. Present perfect "has been" is wrong - past perfect needs to be used since the verb occurs within a statement ("citing") that occurred in past - occurred before "citing".
3. Adverb "recently" is wrong as described above.

C. 1 error
1. Simple present tense " is" is wrong as described above.

D. CORRECT. Eliminates all the 3 errors described above.

E. 1 error
1. Adverb "recently" is wrong as described above.

To answer your question about adverb usage...... adverbs can be used to modify an adjective or a verb, but never a noun.
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Oct 2011
Posts: 14
Location: United Kingdom
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 12:09
I suspect the answer is D. I have checked the same question on other websites and D is the answer.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2599
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 14:30
sayantanc2k wrote:
dina98 wrote:
what is the correct answer? does an adverb always modify adjective?


The intended meaning is that the failure is recent not that the expectation is recent. The adverb "recently" wrongly modifies "unexpected", whereas the adjective "recent" correctly modifies the noun "failure".

A. 2 errors
1. The plural pronoun "their" does not agree with singular "team".
2. Present perfect "has been" is wrong - past perfect needs to be used since the verb occurs within a statement ("citing") that occurred in past - occurred before "citing".

B. 3 errors
1. The plural pronoun "their" does not agree with singular "team".
2. Present perfect "has been" is wrong - past perfect needs to be used since the verb occurs within a statement ("citing") that occurred in past - occurred before "citing".
3. Adverb "recently" is wrong as described above.

C. 1 error
1. Simple present tense " is" is wrong as described above.

D. CORRECT. Eliminates all the 3 errors described above.

E. 1 error
1. Adverb "recently" is wrong as described above.

To answer your question about adverb usage...... adverbs can be used to modify an adjective or a verb, but never a noun.


agree with the above mentioned...looking at the low % rate of correct answers, I thought that it might be a trap for "their", modifying the compound noun "team", but it is not the case...fewh!
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 3574
Premium Member
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 10:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th &nbs [#permalink] 18 Sep 2018, 10:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Citing the fact that one of their more challenging hurdles has been th

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.