GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 22:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Community representative: Paper bags are substantially less expe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Community representative: Paper bags are substantially less expe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 10:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:36) correct 40% (01:42) wrong based on 150 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Community representative: Paper bags are substantially less expensive than plastic bags. And plastic is not biodegradable, which means that using plastic bags clutters up landfills and pollutes the environment. Customers can preserve the environment by making exclusive use of paper bags, and we can encourage them to do so by informing them that this is the case. Thus, we can save money on shopping bags by drawing attention to this advantage paper bags have over plastic.

Which of the following, if true, would most indicate a vulnerability of the community representative's argument?

A. It take multiple paper bags to carry securely the same amount of groceries that could hit into a plastic bag
B. Plastic bags are only a portion of the litter that makes its at to landfills
C. Paper bags have already become more popular than plastic bags
D.Biodegradable plastic bags are increasingly available
E. Paper and plastic prices are volatile and subject to change in the future.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Re: Community representative: Paper bags are substantially less expe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 10:20
My confusion in this question is that:
The representative is considering effect on the environment (biodegradable) as one of the most important factor of luring people to use paper bags.
Hence I feel D is the option that can weaken the argument as the customers would no longer be lured by "effect on nature" argument.
However, there is also the case, that the price of biodegradable plastic bags has not been discussed. We can also counter this options by saying that these bags could be actually cheaper.

Can experts please help me understand where I am going wrong?
Manager
Manager
G
Re: Community representative: Paper bags are substantially less expe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 11:08
aniket16c wrote:
My confusion in this question is that:
The representative is considering effect on the environment (biodegradable) as one of the most important factor of luring people to use paper bags.
Hence I feel D is the option that can weaken the argument as the customers would no longer be lured by "effect on nature" argument.
However, there is also the case, that the price of biodegradable plastic bags has not been discussed. We can also counter this options by saying that these bags could be actually cheaper.

Can experts please help me understand where I am going wrong?

Just see the conclusion once again....conclusion is that we could save money on shopping bags....

Therefore we have to see the weakness in the author's reasoning to draw this conclusions from the reasoning in argument.
Option A clearly states that if we buy more paper bags than plastic bags for the same stuffs .. it weakens

Option D is concerned with the premise and it does not address the conclusion in hand

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 07:02
aniket16c wrote:
Community representative: Paper bags are substantially less expensive than plastic bags. And plastic is not biodegradable, which means that using plastic bags clutters up landfills and pollutes the environment. Customers can preserve the environment by making exclusive use of paper bags, and we can encourage them to do so by informing them that this is the case. Thus, we can save money on shopping bags by drawing attention to this advantage paper bags have over plastic.

Which of the following, if true, would most indicate a vulnerability of the community representative's argument?

A. It take multiple paper bags to carry securely the same amount of groceries that could hit into a plastic bag
B. Plastic bags are only a portion of the litter that makes its at to landfills
D.Biodegradable plastic bags are increasingly available

Here, we have to demolish the conclusion - "we can save money on shopping bags by drawing attention....."
We have to present a situation in which either it is equally expensive in both cases or that paper bags would cost more than plastic bags.
A presents this case by showing that for the same amount of groceries more paper bags would be required. This may lead to an increase in the expenses. Therefore, A is correct.
B, C, D and E are completely irrelevant.
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 21:40
Why cant it be E? Wouldn't price change also impact how much money you save

Manager
Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2019, 02:54
swatato wrote:
Why cant it be E? Wouldn't price change also impact how much money you save

Conclusion:
    Thus, we can SAVE money on shopping bags by drawing attention to this advantage paper bags have over plastic.

Pre-Think:
    During a shopping venture, the overall cost of Paper bags MUST be less than that of the plastics bags.

The Q's aim is to find a flaw( vulnerability ) in the argument -
    If we can show a decisive disadvantage of Paper bags over Plastic bags, we will be able to answer the Q conclusively.
      -, i.e., why even after being told to the customers the environment-friendly prospect of paper bags, the consumers would NOT use Paper bags over Plastic bags?

Answer choice analysis:
    A. It takes multiple paper bags to carry securely the same amount of groceries that could hit into a plastic bag
      Aha!
      As compared to the plastic bags, if multiple paper bags need to be carried for the same amount of groceries.
      We may NOT have savings on cost. - A flaw

B. Plastic bags are only a portion of the litter that makes it at to landfills
      Even if the Plastic bags are ONLY a portion of the litter, let's say - a mere 5%, the plastic bags DO affect the environment.
      Moreover, B does NOT address the conclusion - savings in cost.

Great! So ideally, we MUST see some savings. C answers the Q in the opposite direction.
      We need to find a flaw. Why savings won't happen on switching from Plastic bags to Paper bags?

D. Biodegradable plastic bags are increasingly available
      We are worried about the COST. The environment is NOT the decisive criteria.

Nice! E states both the prices are volatile.
      However, it fails to address whether the prices of plastic bags are more volatile than Paper bags.

Moreover, volatility ----implies----> a rampant change in price.
      A change can sway in both the direction either upward or downward.
      We CANNOT be sure that the OVERALL cost of Paper bags is necessarily less than that of plastic bags.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Community representative: Paper bags are substantially less expe   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2019, 02:54

Community representative: Paper bags are substantially less expe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics