GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 00:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Cornell ($) vs Darden (WL) vs Reapply

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 46% [7]
  • 20% [3]
  • 33% [5]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V36
GRE 1: Q155 V160
GPA: 3.65
Cornell ($) vs Darden (WL) vs Reapply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 08:08
Was fortunate enough to be admitted to Johnson with a small scholarship despite low GMAT (620 cold). I was WLd at Darden and dinged by other schools - Tuck is offering feedback if I choose to reapply. My question is should I attend Johnson/try to get off the WL at Darden or reapply to M7+Tuck next year. I'd probably target GSB/HBS/Sloan, Haas, Kellogg, Tuck, and SOM.

My hesitation with Johnson and even Darden is that I decided relatively late to apply, didn't study for the GMAT at all, and am nervous that I may have some regret in not applying myself properly with the GMAT. Are the career outcomes that different from Johnson/Darden versus the schools that I listed. Ultimately I want a career in the tech/start up space - thinking VC long term. Also open to RE, but realize that this is more niche. Have no desire for MBB. If I went the consulting route, would probably just go back to my Big 4 firm.

Here is my background as of April 2018:
White LGBT male
4 years WE in Big 4 consulting
3.7 GPA from 20-25 undergrad
620 GMAT w/o studying
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V36
GRE 1: Q155 V160
GPA: 3.65
Re: Cornell ($) vs Darden (WL) vs Reapply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 09:05
Bumping

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 09:12
The fact that you got into Cornell with a 620 shows the rest of your application is insanely strong. If I were you, I'd take the time to score a better GMAT and reapply next year. Just my 2 cents.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Cornell ($) vs Darden (WL) vs Reapply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 09:25
Hey rdc2020 ,

Congratulations for the two great admits. :)

I think you should try to push your GMAT score more towards 700 and then reapply. Getting scholarship and waitlist from the great schools despite a low GMAT score clearly shows that you have something very strong in your profile. This strength along with a. High GMAT score can really help you get into M7 schools.

So, wait for a few months, prepare well for GMAT and then apply in early rounds to secure a higher chance of getting admitted.

All the best. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 10:46
with a 720+ i think non H/S M7 is possible for you. if you believe you can achieve that, i'd retake and apply next year
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 15:34
Personally, I would take the money from Cornell and start this year. Timing is particularly important for MBAs and I would be inclined to start, graduate, and have an offer lined up before the next economic downturn (not that anyone can predict this with any certainty, but we have had an incredibly long expansion cycle while the yield curve is very close to inverting, potentially signaling recession in the next ~2 years).

Neither Cornell nor Darden are renowned tech MBA programs, but they each send a decent number of grads and interns into tech (24% of Darden's class of 2018 did a tech internship). Johnson seems to be more finance-focused, but 12% of the class of 2017 did go into tech (Amazon was a top destination) AND the Cornell Tech MBA program is seeing good success in placing grads into tech as well - you might be able to leverage those resources for your career goals.

I think compared to GSB / HBS / Sloan / Haas, you should have relatively the same amount of access to big tech companies (i.e. Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc), though startups might be a bit tougher due to Cornell's location.

Regarding working in VC, HBS and GSB are the two best programs for VC associate roles. Anything past that (i.e. partner) for a non-finance person who wants to work in tech is going to depend on your professional track record of building and operating tech companies.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.

rdc2020 wrote:
Was fortunate enough to be admitted to Johnson with a small scholarship despite low GMAT (620 cold). I was WLd at Darden and dinged by other schools - Tuck is offering feedback if I choose to reapply. My question is should I attend Johnson/try to get off the WL at Darden or reapply to M7+Tuck next year. I'd probably target GSB/HBS/Sloan, Haas, Kellogg, Tuck, and SOM.

My hesitation with Johnson and even Darden is that I decided relatively late to apply, didn't study for the GMAT at all, and am nervous that I may have some regret in not applying myself properly with the GMAT. Are the career outcomes that different from Johnson/Darden versus the schools that I listed. Ultimately I want a career in the tech/start up space - thinking VC long term. Also open to RE, but realize that this is more niche. Have no desire for MBB. If I went the consulting route, would probably just go back to my Big 4 firm.

Here is my background as of April 2018:
White LGBT male
4 years WE in Big 4 consulting
3.7 GPA from 20-25 undergrad
620 GMAT w/o studying
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Cornell ($) vs Darden (WL) vs Reapply &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jul 2018, 15:34

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, swbluedevil, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap