GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 09:27

LIVE NOW:

Tips for Your Best Possible Application - Live Chat with Tuck Admissions | Click Here to JOIN!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Current feminist theory, in validating women’s own stories of their

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Current feminist theory, in validating women’s own stories of their [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 18:16
Hi Experts,
My query is for Q#35, in which OA is E and I selected A.
Reason for choosing A:Since women's oral narratives are biased by traditional historic events, so scholars should refrain . . . . (as per Q stem)
Reason for eliminating E: In very first line, it follows that oral narratives follows next in line after use of written autobiographies. Then how is this option correct?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Current feminist theory, in validating women’s own stories of their [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 14:59
Quote:
35. According to the passage, scholars of women's history should refrain from doing which of the following?
(A) Relying on traditional historical sources when women's oral narratives are unavailable
(B) Focusing on the influence of political rhetoric on women's perceptions to the exclusion of other equally important factors
(C) Attempting to discover the cultural and historical factors that influence the stories women tell
(D) Assuming that the conventions of women's written autobiographies are similar to the conventions of women's oral narratives
(E) Accepting women's oral narratives less critically than they accept women's written histories

adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts,
Reason for choosing A:Since women's oral narratives are biased by traditional historic events, so scholars should refrain . . . . (as per Q stem)
Reason for eliminating E: In very first line, it follows that oral narratives follows next in line after use of written autobiographies. Then how is this option correct?

First, the passage does not state that women's oral narratives are always biased but rather that oral narratives (in general) are no more likely than are written narratives to provide a disinterested commentary on events or people. This implies that written narratives and oral narratives are equally likely to be biased.

Regardless, choice (A) does not state that scholars should refrain from using women's oral narratives; rather, it states that scholars should refrain from relying on traditional historical sources when women's oral narratives are unavailable. There is nothing in the passage implying what scholars should or should not do when women's oral narratives are unavailable, so choice (A) can be eliminated.

As for choice (E), the passage states that scholars of women’s history should use women’s oral narratives next to the use of women’s written autobiography. Regardless of which source is given a higher priority, the passage suggests that BOTH need to be examined critically because BOTH might be biased. According to the passage, scholars must "be as cautious about accepting oral narratives at face value as they already are about written memories" and thus should refrain from "accepting women's oral narratives less critically than they accept women's written histories." Choice (E) is correct.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

1 KUDOS received
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 04:30
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
35. According to the passage, scholars of women's history should refrain from doing which of the following?
(A) Relying on traditional historical sources when women's oral narratives are unavailable
(B) Focusing on the influence of political rhetoric on women's perceptions to the exclusion of other equally important factors
(C) Attempting to discover the cultural and historical factors that influence the stories women tell
(D) Assuming that the conventions of women's written autobiographies are similar to the conventions of women's oral narratives
(E) Accepting women's oral narratives less critically than they accept women's written histories

adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts,

First, the passage does not state that women's oral narratives are always biased but rather that oral narratives (in general) are no more likely than are written narratives to provide a disinterested commentary on events or people. This implies that written narratives and oral narratives are equally likely to be biased.

Regardless, choice (A) does not state that scholars should refrain from using women's oral narratives; rather, it states that scholars should refrain from relying on traditional historical sources when women's oral narratives are unavailable. There is nothing in the passage implying what scholars should or should not do when women's oral narratives are unavailable, so choice (A) can be eliminated.

As for choice (E), the passage states that scholars of women’s history should use women’s oral narratives next to the use of women’s written autobiography. Regardless of which source is given a higher priority, the passage suggests that BOTH need to be examined critically because BOTH might be biased. According to the passage, scholars must "be as cautious about accepting oral narratives at face value as they already are about written memories" and thus should refrain from "accepting women's oral narratives less critically than they accept women's written histories." Choice (E) is correct.

I hope this helps!

Thanks a lot Gmatninja.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 01:18
JarvisR - Could you please help me with the primary purpose of this passage?

Additionally even if i score 70% accuracy in RC, i mess up in the PP - Can you please guide me through!

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 20:14
Please explain me the answer for Q33?
Thanks in Advance.
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 01:33
Scholars of women’s history should, however, be
as cautious about accepting oral narratives at face
value as they already are about written memories.

Can youu explain meaning of above sentence which is first line of 2nd para.

my understanding is:

1.scholars need to catious about accepting oral narratives as accepting written memories

2.scholars need to catious about accepting oral narratives as already written memories are accepted

--If you like my post pls give kudos

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 01:43
It took for me 20min to read and answer questions as I am used to writing notes small summaries without which I am unable to concentrate or involve. Any suggestions how to reduce my time on rc. Tia

Posted from my mobile device

--If you like my post pls give kudos

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Current feminist theory, in validating women’s own stories of their [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 00:29
It took me 8:41 overall,including 4:05 mins to read. All correct. Is it too bad? Any suggestions on how can I improve timing?

If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......

Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 17:17
12:03 min 2nd last wrong ..... got mixed up between D and E. anyways good passage.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Re: Current feminist theory, in validating women’s own stories of their   [#permalink] 13 May 2018, 17:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Current feminist theory, in validating women’s own stories of their

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap