GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

D01-40

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
D01-40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (00:46) correct 29% (01:16) wrong based on 180 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Math Expert
V
Re D01-40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:13
Official Solution:

How many triangles and quadrilaterals altogether can be formed using the vertices of a 7-sided regular polygon?

A. 35
B. 40
C. 50
D. 65
E. 70

Any 3 vertices from 7 can form a triangle and any 4 vertices from 7 can form a quadrilateral, so total of \(C^3_7+C^4_7=35+35=70\) different triangles and quadrilaterals can be formed.

Answer: E

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
D01-40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2015, 20:03
I think it is very hard to understand what this question is asking. I never would have been able to understand this premise regardless of time spent on it.
Is the seven sided regular polygon a regular star or a heptagon? You cannot form any triangles or quadrilaterals using only the angle of the heptagon.
Finally, triangles and quadrilaterals aren't made from vertices, but from vertices and sides. There could be infinitely many side lengths, therefore infinitely many triangles and quadrilaterals.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: D01-40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 20:09
mcolbert wrote:
I think it is very hard to understand what this question is asking. I never would have been able to understand this premise regardless of time spent on it.
Is the seven sided regular polygon a regular star or a heptagon? You cannot form any triangles or quadrilaterals using only the angle of the heptagon.
Finally, triangles and quadrilaterals aren't made from vertices, but from vertices and sides. There could be infinitely many side lengths, therefore infinitely many triangles and quadrilaterals.

it is a regular polygon with 7 sides. Regular polygons have equal sides, and equal angles.

for the sake of understanding, draw a 7 sides polygon and start drawing triangles and quadrilaterals.
we clearly see that from one angle, we can draw lines and form 4 triangles. How many triangles can be? well, we have 7 sides, and from 7 sides, we can have 4 triangles
4C7 = 7!/4!3! = 5*6*7/1*2*3 = 35
now, draw quadrilaterals. From each angle, we can draw lines and form 3 quadrilaterals. How many quadrilaterals can be drawn? 7 sides, 3 quadrilaterals...
3C7 = which is equal to 4C7
now we have 35+35 = 70.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge
Re D01-40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 15:47
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.

Appreciate any KUDOS given ! :)

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 530 Q46 V19
GPA: 3.45
WE: Asset Management (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 20:18
mvictor wrote:
mcolbert wrote:
How many triangles can be? well, we have 7 sides, and from 7 sides, we can have 4 triangles

now, draw quadrilaterals. From each angle, we can draw lines and form 3 quadrilaterals. How many quadrilaterals can be drawn? 7 sides, 3 quadrilaterals...

I drew the lines and ended up with 5 triangles (not 4) and 4 quadrilaterals (not 3): Red, Purple, Green, and Blue.
Check the images that I drew.
Please, point out, where is the mistake.

Thank you.
>> !!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 02:45
AndreiGMAT wrote:
mvictor wrote:
mcolbert wrote:
How many triangles can be? well, we have 7 sides, and from 7 sides, we can have 4 triangles

I drew the lines and ended up with 5 triangles (not 4) and 4 quadrilaterals (not 3): Red, Purple, Green, and Blue.
Check the images that I drew.
Please, point out, where is the mistake.

Thank you.

As an example I'll show you 2 triangles that you missed:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
You are missing triangles and quadrilaterals that can be formed from other vertices.
>> !!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 03:15
I think you missing 1 triangle and 1 quadrilateral, Please, see your quote:

Bunuel wrote:
Any 3 vertices from 7 can form a triangle and any 4 vertices from 7 can form a quadrilateral, so total of C37+C47=35+35=70C73+C74=35+35=70 different triangles and quadrilaterals can be formed.

In my images I stated that you can form 5 triangles from one angle, and 4 quadrilaterals from one angle. While You formed 4 triangles and 3 quadrilaterals.

So shouldn't be the solution:

7C5+7C4=21+35=56 different triangles and quadrilaterals can be formed

Math Expert
V
D01-40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 03:26
AndreiGMAT wrote:
I think you missing 1 triangle and 1 quadrilateral, Please, see your quote:

Bunuel wrote:
Any 3 vertices from 7 can form a triangle and any 4 vertices from 7 can form a quadrilateral, so total of C37+C47=35+35=70C73+C74=35+35=70 different triangles and quadrilaterals can be formed.

In my images I stated that you can form 5 triangles from one angle, and 4 quadrilaterals from one angle. While You formed 4 triangles and 3 quadrilaterals.

So shouldn't be the solution:

7C5+7C4=21+35=56 different triangles and quadrilaterals can be formed

Sorry I cannot draw all 35 triangles and 35 quadrilaterals but the logic in my solution explains why it is so. Any 3 distinct points from 7 will form a triangle and any 4 distinct points from 7 will form a quadrilateral.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 05:50
Bunuel wrote:

Sorry I cannot draw all 35 triangles and 35 quadrilaterals but the logic in my solution explains why it is so. Any 3 distinct points from 7 will form a triangle and any 4 distinct points from 7 will form a quadrilateral.

Bunuel, if you could explain this method just algebraically for square and pentagon (how many triangles can be formed), so I could better understand your logic.

Thanks

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 08:36
AndreiGMAT wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Bunuel, if you could explain this method just algebraically for square and pentagon (how many triangles can be formed), so I could better understand your logic.

Thanks

Below are cases for square. We can make only 1 (4C4 = 1) quadrilateral using the vertices of a square and we can make 4 triangles (4C3 = 4).

Attachment:
Untitled.png

>> !!!

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 09:43
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

How many triangles and quadrilaterals altogether can be formed using the vertices of a 7-sided regular polygon?

A. 35
B. 40
C. 50
D. 65
E. 70

Any 3 vertices from 7 can form a triangle and any 4 vertices from 7 can form a quadrilateral, so total of \(C^3_7+C^4_7=35+35=70\) different triangles and quadrilaterals can be formed.

would the answer be same even if it was not a regular polygon
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 09:58
KARISHMA315 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

A. 35
B. 40
C. 50
D. 65
E. 70

would the answer be same even if it was not a regular polygon

The fact that the polygon is regular guarantees that no 3 of the vertices are not collinear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE: Other (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 07:00
Hello Everyone,
What would happen if question would be formulated as below?
How many Distinct triangles and Distinct quadrilaterals altogether can be formed using the vertices of a 7-sided regular polygon?
What approach we need to keep in mind for solving such question.
Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 08:39
For triangle it's 7c3-7 and for quadrilateral it's 7c4-7 . Adding both gives 70. Hence E.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
CEO
CEO
D

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 05:42
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

A. 35
B. 40
C. 50
D. 65
E. 70

TRIANGLES
If you choose any 3 of the 7 vertices, you can connect them with lines to create a unique triangle.
So, the question becomes "In how many different ways can we select 3 vertices from 7 vertices?"
Since the order in which we select the 3 vertices does not matter, we can use COMBINATIONS.
We can select 3 vertices from 7 vertices in 7C3 ways.
7C3 = 35

ASIDE: we have a video on calculating combinations (like 7C3 and 7C4) in your head - see below

QUADRILATERALS
If you choose any 4 of the 7 vertices, you can connect them with lines to create a unique quadrilateral.
So, in how many different ways can we select 4 vertices from 7 vertices?
Since the order in which we select the 4 vertices does not matter, we can use COMBINATIONS.
We can select 4 vertices from 7 vertices in 7C4 ways.
7C4 = 35

So, the TOTAL number of triangles and quadrilaterals possible = 35 + 35 = 70

Cheers,
Brent

RELATED VIDEO

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 10:21
Hello?
Thanks for the question and the explanation however i think this is a very tricky question.
Usually in combinatorics (i have read it several times) when asked an AND as for this question (triangles And quadrilaterals), we should multiply the result and when it is an OR we should add.
Why did we add in this case? Why the previous rule doesn't work here?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Date: 06-13-2017
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 21:06
The question should ask "How many triangles OR (not and) quadrilaterals altogether can be formed using the vertices of a 7-sided regular polygon?" Please help where my thought process going wrong.

Hope it's clear.

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 18:33
I think the wording is not correct here. It should be triangles OR quadrilaterals.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: D01-40 &nbs [#permalink] 28 Oct 2018, 18:33

D01-40

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap