Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:20 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619861 [5]
Given Kudos: 81626
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1451 [3]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
GPA: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Re: Deep tillage is even more deleterious to the world's topsoil supply [#permalink]
MartyMurray wrote:
­Deep tillage is even more deleterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed. For example, farmers who till deeply are ten times more likely to lose topsoil to erosion than are farmers who use no-till methods. Results like these make it clear that farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead.

The main conclusion of the argument is the following:

farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead

The main conclusion is supported by the following intermediate conclusion:

­Deep tillage is even more deleterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed.

which is suppported by the following example:

For example, farmers who till deeply are ten times more likely to lose topsoil to erosion than are farmers who use no-till methods.

We see that the author of the argument has observed a correlation between deep tillage and increased topsoli erosion, "farmers who till deeply are ten times more likely to lose topsoil," and concluded, essentially, that deep tillage causes increased topsoil erosion and therefore should be replaced with no-till methods.

The argument depends on assuming which one of the following?

This is an Assumption question, and the correct answer will state an assumption necessary for the premise to support the conclusion.

(A) Topsoil erosion does not make farmers want to till more deeply.

This choice is interesting.

After all, if this choice is not true, then the following is the case:

Topsoil erosion makes farmers want to till more deeply.

In that case, it could be that the reason why there's more topsoil erosion where farmers till deeply is not that tilling deeply causes erosion but rather that erosion causes tilling deeply.

Of course, in that case, the support the evidence provides for the conclusion is severely weakened because it could be that, even though the evidence is true, the conclusion is not. In other words, if this choice is not true, the argument doesn't work.

So, the argument depends on assuming that this choice is true.

Keep.

(B) In deep-tillage farming, the deeper one tills, the greater the susceptibility to topsoil erosion.

The argument does not involve any claims about the effects of tillling deeper.

Also, regardless of whether this choice is true, it remains the case that more soil erosion occurred when deep tilling was done, and that evidence supports the conclusion.

So, this argument doesn't depend on this choice.

Eliminate.

(C) Tilling by any method other than deep tillage is not a viable option.

Regardless of whether this choice is true, farmers can prevent soil erosion by using no-till methods. In other words, even if there is another viable tilling method, it could still be the case that using no-till methods is the best option and thus the one farmers "should strive ... to incorporate."

So, the argument works regardless of whether this choice is true.

Eliminate.

(D) The most expensive farming methods employ topsoil aeration techniques other than deep tillage.

If anything, this choice is a reason to use deep tillage to minimize expense.

Since the author is arguing for ceasing to use deep tillage, if anything, this choice goes against the argument.

Eliminate.

(E) On average, topsoil that is no-tilled is more aerated than topsoil that is tilled deeply.­

The conclusion of the argument is not about using no-till methods to achieve more aeration. It's about using no-till methods to prevent erosion.

So, regardless of whether this choice is true, the argument works.

Eliminate.

Correct answer: A

­I also marked A, why OA given is C?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Re: Deep tillage is even more deleterious to the world's topsoil supply [#permalink]
Can someone please explain how assuming Option C makes sense here?­
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1451 [2]
Send PM
Deep tillage is even more deleterious to the world's topsoil supply [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

PRAGATIOSTWAL wrote:

­I changed my explanation. See what it says for (C) now.

You have to be so careful answering LSAT questions. They often work differently from GMAT questions.

In this case, (A) might be correct if this were a GMAT question, but in a LSAT question, the slight difference between "deep tillage" and "more deeply" is enough to make (A) incorrect, with the result that (C), in which the meaning of "viable" is not 100 percent clear and which is thus barely correct, is the best answer.

Originally posted by MartyMurray on 14 Mar 2024, 03:41.
Last edited by MartyMurray on 16 Mar 2024, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM

MartyMurray wrote:
PRAGATIOSTWAL wrote:

­I changed my explanation. See what it says for (C) now.

You have to be so careful answering LSAT questions. They often work differently from GMAT questions.

In this case, (A) would probably be correct if this were a GMAT question, but in a LSAT question, the slight difference between "deep tillage" and "more deeply" is enough to make (A) incorrect, with the result that (C), which is just barely correct, is the best answer.

Honestly, I don't think this is a great question with its tiny difference in (A) and not 100 percent clear meaning of "viable option" in (C), but that's what's going on.

­Hi MartyMurray

I think, even if (A) says: ''Topsoil erosion does not make farmers want to use ­Deep tillage'',(A) may not be the correct answer.
Because argument says: ''Deep tillage is even more deleterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed.''

So, farmers or no farmers, above premise still stands true. Maybe, it has been proved experimentally.
Even if Farmers ''want'' to use ''Deep tillage'', they will still be better off to use other techniques, as the argument has suggested.
Also, what Farmers ''Want'' and ''what actually do'' are two diffirent things. 
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
PRAGATIOSTWAL wrote:

­The main conclusion of the paragraph is that farmers should use no-till instead of deep tilling. 
However a third option does exist which is light/moderate tilling. But since the paragraph doesn't even consider that option and sees the options as black or white, the author clearly is assuming that light tilling is not viable.
If it was there would have been a consideration for such an option.

Hence C is the logical answer here
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1451 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashutosh_73 wrote:
­Hi MartyMurray

I think, even if (A) says: ''Topsoil erosion does not make farmers want to use ­Deep tillage'',(A) may not be the correct answer.
Because argument says: ''Deep tillage is even more deleterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed.''

So, farmers or no farmers, above premise still stands true.

­I agree with a lot of what you said, but that statement is not a premise. It's a conclusion of the author's.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
KarishmaB Im really not following the argument . Pls can you explain this in detail along with A and C and the play of terminologies

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Deep tillage is even more deleterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed. For example, farmers who till deeply are ten times more likely to lose topsoil to erosion than are farmers who use no-till methods. Results like these make it clear that farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead.

My understanding from the last line:
"Famers DONOT want to STOP deep-till and incorporate no-till method, INSTEAD they come up with topsoil aeration technique TO AVOID EROSION" 

Pre Thinking: As they do not want to stop using deep-till, that must be the most efficient way for the crops, even though it cause soil erosion (that can be avoided by using topsoil aeration techniques).
Something GOOD with deep-till technique.

I was looking for option which says good about deep-till.

Option C) Tilling by any method other than deep tillage is not a viable option.
Bang -On

You can look for other posts, if you want to know why other options are wrong. I got my answer my using this approach.­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts