It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Desperate need for help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Desperate need for help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 14:00
Hi all,

I took the GMAT the first time to get an essence of the exam and ended up scoring a 580. Don't remember my score break up then. I gave in 4 months of prep time and took the exam again only to score a meagre 650 (q43 v37). This was extremely disheartening for me given the time and effort I had put in.

Leaving this behind I decided to get back to work, get some more work experience in my kitty. Now again, to make it in time for the first rounds of applications, I started studying around 2 months ago. The improvement in my score has been miserable to say the least. I have barely managed to juice my quant up to q46 and verbal to 39~40, this is an average of my scores across 4 GMAT prep tests, a few Manhattan and some other free tests. I'm making an average of 20 mistakes in Quant and Verbal both.

However I feel more confident in verbal this time and am sure to score better in my test. I need to desperately improve my Quant scores.

My test day is schedule in exactly 16 days time. Following BB's advice, I have started reviewing my basics again, from GMAT club's book and have been skimming through the Manhattan Quant guides. However, I'm finding it extremely hard to improve my scores even then. I have developed a decent understanding of the fundamentals given the amount of time I've put in, I'm just feeling lost when complex application of those fundamentals is tested.

I have solved the OG's, solved all questions from Magoosh, watched all the videos, thoroughly solved Jeff Sackmann's advanced quant, solved 100 advanced CR, 100 advanced SC, and 700 level RC. In additional I have solved almost all of Verbal and Quant review. I have maintained an error log and have verified my mistakes time and again. And also taken screenshots of questions I have gotten wrong to verify over the course of time.

It is extremely important for me to score par 700 this time, I am only targeting the best universities. I have diverse experience and am working on my applications simultaneously. The only thing keeping me back is my GMAT score.

What should I do? Please please please help :roll:

Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 179

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Desperate need for help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 14:45
I think that 650 is a good score. With everything else in your application working for you, you should probably retake the test without worrying too much. Moreover, I think that you should make good use of GMATCLUB forum to achieve the "700+" score that so many people are aiming for.
I feel that the key to doing well on the exam is to develop effective pacing strategies, along with mastering the content specific knowledge. There is a lot of information available everywhere just decide and go for it.

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 179

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 14:49
Bounce1987 wrote:
I think that 650 is a good score. With everything else in your application working for you, you should probably retake the test without worrying too much. Moreover, I think that you should make good use of GMATCLUB forum to achieve the "700+" score that so many people are aiming for.
I feel that the key to doing well on the exam is to develop effective pacing strategies, along with mastering the content specific knowledge. There is a lot of information available everywhere just decide and go for it.

Hi Bounce1987,

I'm looking to apply to some top colleges, the likes of INSEAD and Kellogg. For which I will need that 720+ score.

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 419

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 16:07
Do not give up.
I have had your situation.
It is the same with me, you need to start from scratch and in needed to find out where do you lack conceptual understanding. I am on the same boat as you are yet i haven't given up.
I have been working on GMAT since Dec 15 2016 no - stop. The wall that i am working against is much higher than yours.
I've not given up and will not give up. You quant score can go up to the range of 48-50, given you practice and is willing to put the works that are needed.
Averaging 44-46 means that you definitely have the concept in place the enough practice is needed.
I am dealing with Verbal and i hope i could raise my score enough to pass 700+.
Needed we can have a chat and see if we can help each other.
All the best

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 419

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 20:41
I'm stuck in the same predicament.

However, I have no option but back myself and have trust in my inner judgement. Wish I could be so philosophical when I'm knee deep in s#it.

My only strategy henceforth​ is to run towards the flame I.e all the stuff that makes me uncomfortable and at least get sort of familiar with the same without throwing up on test day.

For example, CR Bold Face + Probability + Combinatorics + RC etc

Be comfortable being uncomfortable. And don't burn out.

Believe the process

Sent from my Moto G Play using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 22:03
Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate it.

Summarising what you've said, the only way to get better is by going through everything again and finding topics that I'm not so comfortable with?

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 22:20
I feel strengthening your strengths is a lost cause beyond a certain point.

For instance,
I have Magoosh​ and I filter only the very hard problems and take them all at once topic wise while studying​ the detailed explanation until I understand beyond a shadow of a doubt.

And practice all the familiar tooics at the end of your study time for the day so you can devote much of your time improving on areas that will have a better return on time invested.

Also cut the distraction out. No whatsapp, Facebook or IG.

But take everything anyone's says with a grain of salt.

And enjoy the grind. Don't worry about it that much.

Sent from my Moto G Play using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Re: Desperate need for help   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2017, 22:20

Desperate need for help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: EMPOWERgmatRichC, ydmuley, bb

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap