GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 21:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Disappointed by the company’s decision to put itself for sale,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member
Disappointed by the company’s decision to put itself for sale,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 10:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (01:09) correct 70% (01:00) wrong based on 254 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Disappointed by the company’s decision to put itself for sale, its shares were quickly sold by the investors, voicing their frustration.

A. its shares were quickly sold by the investors, voicing their frustration
B. investors voiced their frustration, quickly selling the company's shares
C. investors quickly sold its shares and voiced their frustration
D. investors quickly sold its shares, voicing their frustration
E. investors quickly sold their shares and voiced their frustration

Source: ExpertsGlobal
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Disappointed by the company’s decision to put itself for sale,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 11:14
benejo wrote:
Disappointed by the company’s decision to put itself for sale, its shares were quickly sold by the investors, voicing their frustration.

A)its is referring to whom? modifier error
B)wordy
C)pronoun error
D) pronoun error
E) Correct
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Apr 2018, 12:48

Tricky. I had earlier chosen B but later realized that 'its' in D refers to company. The investors sold the company's shares and this action voiced their frustration.
It is illogical to say that the investors sold their own shares, as shares are possessive of a certain company and not that of the buyer (implied incorrectly by the option B)

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Originally posted by TaN1213 on 11 Apr 2018, 11:39.
Last edited by TaN1213 on 14 Apr 2018, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Re: Disappointed by the company’s decision to put itself for sale,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 13:57
Nirenjan wrote:
Why is E Wrong pls explain

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Hi Nirenjan,

it can be inferred that the investors voiced their frustration by selling their shares. E incorrectly seperates these two actions. It sounds like the investors sold their shares and voiced their frustration in any other way. However, this doesn't match the intended meaning. TaN1213 already described very well, why B is correct.

Hope that helps :-)

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Apr 2018, 23:19
IMO, option B is correct.

In option E, the two ideas are presented at two independent clauses joined by conjunction 'and', thus altering the original meaning of sentence.

In option B, this meaning issue is rectified by presenting one of the two ideas as verbing modifier.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by Shobhit7 on 11 Apr 2018, 14:07.
Last edited by Shobhit7 on 14 Apr 2018, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 11:01
Imo c, "it" should be referring back to the company.

kudos please if it helped you.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 06:25
I answered E.

Doubt on D - what does its refer to - isn't the pronoun incorrect.

Shouldn't it be replaced by their
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 07:56
benejo wrote:

Comma + ing Modifier = Modifies the entire preceding clause.

Correct Answer must be (D)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 10:28

A. its shares were quickly sold by the investors, voicing their frustration- Modifier issue
B. investors voiced their frustration, quickly selling the company's shares - Selling is not due to voicing of frustration
C. investors quickly sold its shares and voiced their frustration - frustration was due to quick sell
D. investors quickly sold its shares, voicing their frustration - voicing was a result of quick selling of shares
E. investors quickly sold their shares and voiced their frustration - wrong pronoun - Company's shares should be its
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 10:46
Reema18 wrote:

A. its shares were quickly sold by the investors, voicing their frustration- Modifier issue
B. investors voiced their frustration, quickly selling the company's shares - Selling is not due to voicing of frustration
C. investors quickly sold its shares and voiced their frustration - frustration was due to quick sell
D. investors quickly sold its shares, voicing their frustration - voicing was a result of quick selling of shares
E. investors quickly sold their shares and voiced their frustration - wrong pronoun - Company's shares should be its

Doubt - I think that "their" in the Option E refers to Investors and not shares - as their is a personal pronoun and can't refer to shares.
I chose E as my answer
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 15:35
TaN1213 wrote:

Tricky. I had earlier chosen B but later realized that 'its' in D refers to company. The investors sold the company's shares and this action voiced their frustration.
It is illogical to say that the investors sold their own shares, as shares are possessive of a certain company and not that of the buyer (implied incorrectly by the option B)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 15:48
The grammar errors are based on the rules of antecedence. The first phrase is antecedent to the subject of the sentence. Thus, the investors were the ones disappointed. This error is so common, it has become almost a cliche in grammar tests. The second rule here is that a pronoun refers to the first noun prior to it. So, its refers to company. In terms of style, it is actually desirable and parsimonious to use the pronoun, and not repeat the noun again. The final error is one of logical antecedence: it must be made clear that the investors voiced their frustration by selling their shares. The shares do belong to the investors, not the company, but that is not contradicted by the use of its shares - these are shares in the company - so its doesn’t imply ownership. D is best. It is logically correct and stylistically better.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 18:50
And D
Voicing the frustration is result of selling shares and D correctly captures this meaning

Give kudos if you like the post

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Disappointed by the company’s decision to put itself for sale, &nbs [#permalink] 22 Apr 2018, 18:50

Disappointed by the company’s decision to put itself for sale,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap