GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Choose between Olin vs CMU vs Mendoza

new topic post reply Update application status  

Olin vs CMU vs Mendoza

• 9% [1]
  • 54% [6]
  • 9% [1]
  • 18% [2]
  • 9% [1]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Choose between Olin vs CMU vs Mendoza  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 May 2019, 04:57
N/A

Originally posted by leahnguyn on 15 Mar 2019, 10:25.
Last edited by leahnguyn on 14 May 2019, 04:57, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Choose between Olin vs CMU vs Mendoza  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 02:06
I just received full ride from Fisher and some money from CMU as well.

Any opinion is appreciated.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.79

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 00:34
What about STEM from Fisher ?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 02:07
I’m checking with the school but so far I heard from a current stusent that he isnt getting STEM even though he pursues dual program in Fisher

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 02:39
They have one course which is STEM certified : https://fisher.osu.edu/graduate/smb-a

Let me know if you find something. I am awaiting my result from Fisher.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 05:41
blackfish wrote:
They have one course which is STEM certified : https://fisher.osu.edu/graduate/smb-a

Let me know if you find something. I am awaiting my result from Fisher.

They said no because the MSBA program is 70% online and currently does not accept international students with F1
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 04:28
How much time after your application did you hear about the result?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 08:32
blackfish wrote:
How much time after your application did you hear about the result?

You mean Fisher? 1 month and 10 days
BSchool Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 08:38
If you really want analytics at tech companies, I think CMU is the way to go even though it's way more money out of pocket.

I'd pool Olin, Carlson, and Fisher in a similar pool for tech/finance, none are particularly strong in tech, and they are all good but not great at finance. Mendoza has a better finance program and a solid msba program as well. I think it comes down to taking the money at Mendoza, and being willing to accept non tech opportunities, or taking on the debt at CMU and pushing for tech. I'd also not overlook the fact that you have an extra semester at Carlson. You'll have no internship income the first summer and it's an extra few months of tuition, living expenses,etc. It might also be an issue for tech recruiting since I believe most of that will happen in the spring.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2019, 09:34
cxa0897 wrote:
If you really want analytics at tech companies, I think CMU is the way to go even though it's way more money out of pocket.

I'd pool Olin, Carlson, and Fisher in a similar pool for tech/finance, none are particularly strong in tech, and they are all good but not great at finance. Mendoza has a better finance program and a solid msba program as well. I think it comes down to taking the money at Mendoza, and being willing to accept non tech opportunities, or taking on the debt at CMU and pushing for tech. I'd also not overlook the fact that you have an extra semester at Carlson. You'll have no internship income the first summer and it's an extra few months of tuition, living expenses,etc. It might also be an issue for tech recruiting since I believe most of that will happen in the spring.

Thank you so much! I'm thinking the same thing. It's true that CMU is the best option given that I want to pursue finance analytics and tech. However, I only received 20% from CMU which mean that I'll have to take on a lot of debt while not having STEM benefits.

About dual degree program, Olin also requires an extra semester. And you're right, that'd cost me more time and money.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 19:24
Any other opinions everyone?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 19:46
Mo2men bb can you help me here?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 19:51
Congrats on your numerous admits!
I think you are in a tough decision as programs are quite similar and few stand out.

I think getting a stem degree with only $30-40k is a pretty good deal.

PS. You should be planning on carrying the burden of recruiting on your own. While you may get some help from the school, I would not expect it.

Congrats and good luck!

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 06:05
Hi leahnguyn

First, congrats for all those great schools.

Second, I'm happy to help. I totally agree with bb about the situation. You have schools ith great scholarship but with different strengths towards your goals. I will lay out my process with thoughts with analysis so it is hopefully helpful to you in your decision.

All schools you got into do are not considered powerhouse for finance. Hence, you will rely on your previous experience and build upon it heavily in marketing to your self, whatever the school name.

1- No brainer Tepper is the best for you in terms of education, reputation and connections to Tech firms. Most of its finance students go for corporate finance and very very few go into finance analytics. It could support other plans if finance goals not come true. But, as I sense, it does not support STEM and comes with high cost. If it is concern let's move to other options.

2- You have great schools with good money on the table. I will focus on the STEM one now (Fisher is out). Here, I can see that all have great close MSBA. Compared to Mendoza and Carlson, Olin tends somehow to go to tech side and hence less other important sides of BA, which I do not like as business maker. Also, it somehow depend on tech background. However, its MBA curriculum is intriguing but when it comes to tech, I do not find tech presence in its MBA employment reports. I could not find either MSBA employment reports. Also, prepare for yourself for more flights from Missouri to meet recruiters. I would place it in bottom of my list.

3- Here both Carlson and Mendoza have both comparable pros and cons but, for me, better than Olin. The MBA of Carlson has more attracting curriculum and electives than Mendoza's that I find dull and boring. However, MSBA of Mendoza is higher than Carlson's and touches more important points in analytics. You can compare and find yourself. Both sends same percentage to finance as general and finance analytics (through its MSBA) and some
percentage of both deals with tech. In Mendoza, the career office is not that good so I assume you will depend more heavily in networking than Carlson that is in big city. One note I always stress is that you have other plans and look for schools that may support the plan B for you. Form my perspective, I see Carlson more supportive in supply chain and marketing. Again it is all up to you. You have two great schools and you can decide between them. No need to compare the life between two locations as it is obvious different styles and it is totally up to you.

I hope it helps. Good luck
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 20:12
Mo2men wrote:
Hi leahnguyn

First, congrats for all those great schools.

Second, I'm happy to help. I totally agree with bb about the situation. You have schools ith great scholarship but with different strengths towards your goals. I will lay out my process with thoughts with analysis so it is hopefully helpful to you in your decision.

All schools you got into do are not considered powerhouse for finance. Hence, you will rely on your previous experience and build upon it heavily in marketing to your self, whatever the school name.

1- No brainer Tepper is the best for you in terms of education, reputation and connections to Tech firms. Most of its finance students go for corporate finance and very very few go into finance analytics. It could support other plans if finance goals not come true. But, as I sense, it does not support STEM and comes with high cost. If it is concern let's move to other options.

2- You have great schools with good money on the table. I will focus on the STEM one now (Fisher is out). Here, I can see that all have great close MSBA. Compared to Mendoza and Carlson, Olin tends somehow to go to tech side and hence less other important sides of BA, which I do not like as business maker. Also, it somehow depend on tech background. However, its MBA curriculum is intriguing but when it comes to tech, I do not find tech presence in its MBA employment reports. I could not find either MSBA employment reports. Also, prepare for yourself for more flights from Missouri to meet recruiters. I would place it in bottom of my list.

3- Here both Carlson and Mendoza have both comparable pros and cons but, for me, better than Olin. The MBA of Carlson has more attracting curriculum and electives than Mendoza's that I find dull and boring. However, MSBA of Mendoza is higher than Carlson's and touches more important points in analytics. You can compare and find yourself. Both sends same percentage to finance as general and finance analytics (through its MSBA) and some
percentage of both deals with tech. In Mendoza, the career office is not that good so I assume you will depend more heavily in networking than Carlson that is in big city. One note I always stress is that you have other plans and look for schools that may support the plan B for you. Form my perspective, I see Carlson more supportive in supply chain and marketing. Again it is all up to you. You have two great schools and you can decide between them. No need to compare the life between two locations as it is obvious different styles and it is totally up to you.

I hope it helps. Good luck

Thank you so much, Mo2men,

I was thinking the same thing. But recently, I became worried about the increasing signals of a recession in 2020 and thus, money is a big concern to me now. Should I do MBA for free or should I take out loan to pursue a dual degree with STEM? I don't know if the additional skills or STEM in the dual program would make me look more attractive in front of employers.

Hope to hear your opinion on this.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Choose between Olin vs CMU vs Mendoza   [#permalink] 21 May 2019, 20:12

Choose between Olin vs CMU vs Mendoza

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch