Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 01:51 It is currently 14 May 2024, 01:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
GPA: 3.77
WE:Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Fuqua just move up one spot in US News ranking to #11 (https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... a-rankings)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
asimov wrote:
Fuqua just move up one spot in US News ranking to #11 (https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... a-rankings)

I wonder why it is ranked #11 :( in US news but #6 :) in BusinessWeek? Anyone knows how US News comes up with their rankings? Ross is #14, which doesn't seem right.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
TrojanWarrior wrote:
asimov wrote:

I wonder why it is ranked #11 :( in US news but #6 :) in BusinessWeek? Anyone knows how US News comes up with their rankings? Ross is #14, which doesn't seem right.

I think that's because they use different metrics. I personally think US News is probably the most accruate ranking, however I don't believe that Stern is better than Duke. But, all Top 9 ranked schools look reasonable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 2.93
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Different companies can produce very different ranking list. Therefore the Poets&Quants' composite index ranking becomes my personal favorite...
those comments for the post is also very interesting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Send PM
BusinessWeek heavily weighs recruiter and alumni opinions whereas US News places more emphasis on other aspects such as the opinions of Deans and Directors, Incoming class profile, salaries, etc. It seems like schools that "been around" longer benefit more from US News than BusinessWeek.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Send PM
TrojanWarrior wrote:
Ross' drop is probably due to a 1-2 punch of 1) expanding class size (note 40% acceptance rate at Ross, according to USNews), and 2) not co-signing international loans. This significantly impacts the quality of students that it gets.

When Fuqua expanded it's class size in the mid-2000s, our ranking dropped from #6 in US News to #14, before the recent climb.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Send PM
A detailed break down with stats of all ranked schools is at: 2014-us-news-business-school-ranking-149042.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
TrojanWarrior wrote:
asimov wrote:

Yeah it looks like Ross took a bit of a hit this year. As did Yale. I am a subscriber to the US news compass so I can see all of the data. Ross's acceptance rate really jumped last year to over 40%, and the percent employed at graduation dropped some so that at least partially explains it.

I interviewed at Ross rd 2 this year and they said that there weren't enough consulting jobs so not everyone got the job they wanted. They are reducing the class size by 60 this year so maybe that will address the above mentioned things.

On the other side Duke and Anderson both made gains. I'm very impressed with Duke though. The 86.5% employed at graduation is the highest of any school in the top 50, even beating Tuck. The starting salary and bonus also jumped this year to $136,461 which is the 7th highest.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
TrojanWarrior wrote:
asimov wrote:

Yeah it looks like Ross took a bit of a hit this year. As did Yale. I am a subscriber to the US news compass so I can see all of the data. Ross's acceptance rate really jumped last year to over 40%, and the percent employed at graduation dropped some so that at least partially explains it.

I interviewed at Ross rd 2 this year and they said that there weren't enough consulting jobs so not everyone got the job they wanted. They are reducing the class size by 60 this year so maybe that will address the above mentioned things.

On the other side Duke and Anderson both made gains. I'm very impressed with Duke though. The 86.5% employed at graduation is the highest of any school in the top 50, even beating Tuck. The starting salary and bonus also jumped this year to $136,461 which is the 7th highest.

Over 35% of Duke's 2012 class went into consulting, which really helped out the starting salary numbers. Its is very impressive though that Duke employed the highest percentage of its graduates among the top 50 schools.

Originally posted by burnttwinky on 12 Mar 2013, 07:32.
Last edited by burnttwinky on 12 Mar 2013, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Wow, I didn't realize that the consulting placement was so high.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
riverwind91 wrote:
Fuqua has hosted a great info session in Shanghai yesterday; Russell and 6 alumni(first ever pure male team!) presented and shared helpful advice for those who will start their MBA soon. Hope this threat will be helpful to friends who are interested in Fuqua.

1. Enjoy life in Duke. Academic achievement is not the only objective in B-school! They say the ratio of single female to male is 6:4, you know what it means. 2 out of 6 presented alumni got their girl friends during MBA; that's a 'love' concentration of Duke MBA. Those who are married, you can have a 'family' concentration, too. MBA is the best timing to have a baby, one Fuqua alumnus had two baby born in Durham!
2. Choose wisely. A lot will happen in Fuqua and you are going to be overwhelmed if your aim is to be at the top in all aspects. It can be stressful, but as long as you have learned to prioritize, you'll get over it and enjoy.
3. Be active in clubs. Club involvement will not only broaden your network, but also provide you on-the-ground stories that you will need for job interviews. Clubs will also be helpful for those who choose the love concentration.
4. Get parking permit, it will save you a lot of time.
5. Be humble. You are going to study using your second language, the US students will be smarter than you, and their math is as good as yours! Be prepared for the pressure, and stay optimistic.
6. Learn more about classmates. Don't focus only on job hunting, you will find a well-paid job at last; you should spend more time with classmates, those wise people from around the world, they are treasure.
7. Have fun. Chinese students, bring your Tang suit or costumes to Durham, you'll need them in some Fuqua events such as Asian Fuqua Friday. If you are a good singer, dancer, etc, you'll have chance to perform at Fuqua Idol and Fuqua's Got Talent. If you are a good cooker, congratulations, this will make you very popular among classmates!

Wondering how many offers have been sent for EA/R1 in China? And How many will be sent for R2 in China?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
someone said 10 for R2 in China although I think it should go to 20 and finally 10-15 accept the offer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I just got an e-mail from Pearson Vue confirming an order for an official score report being sent to Duke. It says that it was just ordered today, though I haven't ordered any reports in months.

Would this be because Fuqua ordered the report? Anyone else get an e-mail like this?

It also says the order price is 56.00, but no payment was made, here is part of it below:

ORDER SUMMARY
Order Number: 0007-5983-4986
Order Date: Mar 13, 2013 11:17 AM (11:17)
Payment By: None
Order Price: USD 56.00
Amount Paid: USD 0.00
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
TrojanWarrior wrote:
asimov wrote:

If you look at the raw numbers Duke would be easily tied for 10 if it were not for it's low (compared to other top 10 schools) GMAT average of 690. Add 15 points to the average at a not unrealistic 705 and I think it's #10. Who knows, maybe that is their next step as career services excelled last year.
Director
Director
Send PM
canada07 wrote:
TrojanWarrior wrote:
asimov wrote:

If you look at the raw numbers Duke would be easily tied for 10 if it were not for it's low (compared to other top 10 schools) GMAT average of 690. Add 15 points to the average at a not unrealistic 705 and I think it's #10. Who knows, maybe that is their next step as career services excelled last year.

I think Duke doesn't care much about the GMAT scores. What's interesting is that the GMAT scores are falling, but the placement stats are getting better. Is it because Duke admits more well-rounded, diverse and non-traditional students who might have lower scores, but are more marketable to the employers?

I honestly think that US News is biased when it comes to locations and the only reason Stern is ranked higher is because of it being in NYC. Look at Tuck: They don't deserved to be ranked 9th and/or below CBS & Haas.

Interested in hearing other opinions.
Director
Director
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
I just got an e-mail from Pearson Vue confirming an order for an official score report being sent to Duke. It says that it was just ordered today, though I haven't ordered any reports in months.

Would this be because Fuqua ordered the report? Anyone else get an e-mail like this?

It also says the order price is 56.00, but no payment was made, here is part of it below:

ORDER SUMMARY

hmm interesting. I don't think they have the authority to request your scores. And don't they require the official transcripts along with the application?

It might be that they are still shocked about your 50V and want to verify independently. haha.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:

ORDER SUMMARY

hmm interesting. I don't think they have the authority to request your scores. And don't they require the official transcripts along with the application?

It might be that they are still shocked about your 50V and want to verify independently. haha.

Haha yeah that might be. Yeah I didn't think they would be able to request them either. It's also strange that it says the cost is $56 rather than $28 which I remember it being.

I was looking through old e-mails and found a previous message from Pearson. So I'm thinking it was because of this.

Quote:
Dear ,

I am writing to let you know that your GMAT scores were assigned to one or more of the inactive educational programs listed below.

Duke University
Graduate School
INACTIVE

During a system upgrade, inactive programs were made available in the list of possible programs to receive your GMAT score. Our system has been updated to remove these inactive programs and we will be refunding your fees for the those score reports assigned to the inactive program(s) in the next few days. We will send you a confirmation email when this is completed.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  66   67   68   69   70   71   72  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts