Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Aximili85 wrote:
hi all, do you know when Duke starts interview calls for R1 applicants?

Everything's released on the 28th
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Send PM
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know if applying to the HSM program lessens your chances of admittance?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
beehagit wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know if applying to the HSM program lessens your chances of admittance?

interesting question. I was contemplating the same thing when I started my application.

My views:
No it does not.

Why?

I'm not 100% sure if HSM class composition is viewed agnostic of Duke's class profile (it is most probably not).
Even if I assume it is: the class will definitely be tough to get in and there will be a lot of people with stellar (healthcare) profiles who will be vying to get an admit - just because Duke's HSM is one of the best in healthcare business. But, not applying to HSM would raise eyebrows for sure. Because if your post MBA goal is something to do with healthcare, why would you not take up HSM? It will just sound as if you have not researched enough on Duke.

And why would anyone not want to take advantage of an awesome course, which is probably the best in the world. I'm sure it will add a new dimension to your thinking if you are planning to go in the healthcare industry post MBA. And if you are not going to be in the healthcare industry, HSM anyways does not make much sense for you.

makes sense?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
beehagit wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Hey, I'm applying for the HSM as well, I actually asked the student interviewer that when I visited campus - she told me that if my goals and background suite the HSM program, absolutely not, its favorably viewed that I have the relevant background and can display that the degree ties in suitably with my future aspirations.

If I don't have a strong reason for pursuing it (btw Duke is less concerned about my past than, say, Wharton/Haas that have very good dual healthcare management programs but want you to have past relevant experience), such as a focused goal that is well articulated in your essays, then of course it will not be weighed favorably.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Aximili85 wrote:
beehagit wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Hey, I'm applying for the HSM as well, I actually asked the student interviewer that when I visited campus - she told me that if my goals and background suite the HSM program, absolutely not, its favorably viewed that I have the relevant background and can display that the degree ties in suitably with my future aspirations.

If I don't have a strong reason for pursuing it (btw Duke is less concerned about my past than, say, Wharton/Haas that have very good dual healthcare management programs but want you to have past relevant experience), such as a focused goal that is well articulated in your essays, then of course it will not be weighed favorably.

Hope that helps.

Just a heads up, Duke doesn't have an MPH program. You receive an HSM certificate along with the MBA, not a dual degree. HSM is more healthcare business not public health, although you certainly can find classes that cover this material or get an MPH at UNC.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
Aximili85 wrote:
beehagit wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Just a heads up, Duke doesn't have an MPH program. You receive an HSM certificate along with the MBA, not a dual degree. HSM is more healthcare business not public health, although you certainly can find classes that cover this material or get an MPH at UNC.

Posted from my mobile device

Definitely, I've just picked the top 3 according to their healthcare offerings be it dual degrees or additional MPH certificates etc.

PS - just got the rejection letter from Wharton
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
beehagit wrote:
Hey Everyone,

interesting question. I was contemplating the same thing when I started my application.

My views:
No it does not.

Why?

I'm not 100% sure if HSM class composition is viewed agnostic of Duke's class profile (it is most probably not).
Even if I assume it is: the class will definitely be tough to get in and there will be a lot of people with stellar (healthcare) profiles who will be vying to get an admit - just because Duke's HSM is one of the best in healthcare business. But, not applying to HSM would raise eyebrows for sure. Because if your post MBA goal is something to do with healthcare, why would you not take up HSM? It will just sound as if you have not researched enough on Duke.

And why would anyone not want to take advantage of an awesome course, which is probably the best in the world. I'm sure it will add a new dimension to your thinking if you are planning to go in the healthcare industry post MBA. And if you are not going to be in the healthcare industry, HSM anyways does not make much sense for you.

makes sense?

Since my future goals relate to Pharma, the HSM program did seem ideal for my situation. My work experience since college does not relate to healthcare, though, but I did my best to weave a career story that emphasized healthcare throughout. I guess we shall see!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
HSM is an awesome program, and I doubt it would be viewed as a negative to your application, especially with healthcare interests. As long as you explicitly talk about it in your Why Fuqua? essay and why the redirect into the field, I cannot see it being a negative whatsoever.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
beehagit wrote:
Since my future goals relate to Pharma, the HSM program did seem ideal for my situation. My work experience since college does not relate to healthcare, though, but I did my best to weave a career story that emphasized healthcare throughout. I guess we shall see!

If your future career goal is to work for Pharma, definitely do HSM. It will not lower your admittance chance. In fact, if you put that your end goal is in Pharma, and you don't check the HSM box, I would question your authenticity.

Being in HSM will give you the credibility when you apply for internship/job as well. From my observation of healthcare recruiting, companies prefer candidates who either have healthcare background, or a strong interest and knowledge in the field. HSM will provide you with the latter, since you don't have the former.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey Guys,

I didn't get any conformation mail from Fuqua regarding the receipt of all the documents. All those who applied for Round 1 received the conformation??
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
sudhanshumalani wrote:
Hey Guys,

I didn't get any conformation mail from Fuqua regarding the receipt of all the documents. All those who applied for Round 1 received the conformation??

I did not get a confirmation of receipt of the documents beyond the automatic acknowledgement that my application was received and the fee was paid. I did, however, receive an email saying that my application was under review -- I assume/hope that means all my associated documents are in too!

For those counting, I applied the day before the deadline.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
sudhanshumalani wrote:
Hey Guys,

I'd check the online status, and see what it says. If it says your materials are under review, then you're okay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
aerien wrote:
sudhanshumalani wrote:
Hey Guys,

I did not get a confirmation of receipt of the documents beyond the automatic acknowledgement that my application was received and the fee was paid. I did, however, receive an email saying that my application was under review -- I assume/hope that means all my associated documents are in too!

For those counting, I applied the day before the deadline.

Hi. I got the electronic mail the day I submitted my application. But I didn't get any mail saying my application is under review.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.8
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hey,

Have any of the R1 applicants received any email from Duke apart from the one which says:

"Thank you for submitting an application to The Duke MBA at Duke University's Fuqua School of Business. This e-mail serves as a confirmation that your application is ready to proceed to the evaluation stage."

Also, what is your submission status on the online app portal. Mine still says Submitted.

Regards,
Santosh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
My application was submitted for round 1. I also interviewed at Fuqua prior to this during the open interview season. Given that, I suspect I won't hear anything until decision day. There aren't any other notifications prior to that are there?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
ctgmat123 wrote:
My application was submitted for round 1. I also interviewed at Fuqua prior to this during the open interview season. Given that, I suspect I won't hear anything until decision day. There aren't any other notifications prior to that are there?

Same boat, I think it's just a loooong wait!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
anonymous2012 wrote:
ctgmat123 wrote:

Same boat, I think it's just a loooong wait!

I'm with you guys! I just wish they could tell us before my holiday vacation. I would rather be elated or be depressed but at least have the vacation to make it better than have the nervous anticipation!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts