Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [62]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [21]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [13]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: During gladiator matches, the unfair match-up between a prisoner with [#permalink]
Kudos
Kevalkhanna wrote:
During gladiator matches, the unfair match-up between a prisoner with a short
sword and ten soldiers with horses and whips can drive the prisoner to a state of
manic frenzy, like a rampaging bull whose rage increases when its hide is pierced
with swords.

(A) like a rampaging bull whose rage increases when its hide is pierced with
swords
(B) like the increased rage of a rampaging bull when its hide is pierced with
swords
(C) like a rampaging bull that increases rage while rampaging with its hide
pierced with swords
(D) just as a rampaging bull that increases rage by piercing its hide with swords
(E) just as a rampaging bull’s rage increases when it is pierced with swords

Please give the explanation along with the answer

For option E, the pronoun 'it' has no referent. Logically it should refer to rampaging bull and not rampaging bull's rage.
It is the bull that is pierced not its rage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 424
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
Re: During gladiator matches, the unfair match-up between a prisoner with [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Great comparison question.

I went with answer E because the comparison is between the rage of the bull and this is an action therefore eliminated A, B, C for the use of 'like'

Then between D and E, I went with E because 'when' is a better modifier to use for a time than 'by'.

Therefore went with answer choice E. Please do correct me if I am wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kevalkhanna I have the same question as you do.. The usage of IT, referring to an action is controversial.

Verbal gurus, can someone help here? chetan2u WaterFlowsUp daagh
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I believe the question is from 4th Edition MGMAT book.

But as mentioned in the post, pronoun it in option E won't be able to modify bull since it is in possessive form.

Expert opinion?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
warriorguy wrote:

But as mentioned in the post, pronoun it in option E won't be able to modify bull since it is in possessive form.

Expert opinion?

Yes, I am in agreement with you. Daagh Sir has explained the concept in his post above:
please-solve-during-gladiators-221890.html#p1718931
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
warriorguy wrote:

Expert opinion?

Yes, I am in agreement with you. Daagh Sir has explained the concept in his post above:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/please-solve- ... l#p1718931

Hi sayantanc2k,
Yeah,I agree with all of you about this pronoun issue.
But Ron said this rule is no longer valid !!??? Is it so?

p.s. Please refer to the following link :
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 33558.html
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k,
Yeah,I agree with all of you about this pronoun issue.
But Ron said this rule is no longer valid !!??? Is it so?

p.s. Please refer to the following link :
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 33558.html

Hm, that's interesting! Ron obviously knows his stuff, but I'm deeply skeptical than anything has actually changed. I think Ron is suggesting that the GMAT has somehow updated the way it handles certain SC rules, but I'd be surprised if that were actually true. Perhaps Ron and MGMAT have some insider knowledge that I lack, but it's rare that the GMAT fundamentally shifts the way it tests SC rules. If they've ever tested the rule (as explained above by @daagh), I can't imagine why they would suddenly stop -- and I also can't imagine that they'd tell us if they did.

But I'd love to be wrong! If anybody has some other evidence on this, let me know.

I also went through the most recent editions of the OG and Verbal Guide, and I can't find a single violation of the rule. At least six questions have answer choices with non-possessive pronouns that could plausibly refer back to possessive antecedents; none of those answer choices are correct. (See OG 2017 #687, 734, 776; Verbal Guide 2017 #260, 262, 278.) So at the very least, I can't find any evidence that the GMAT is willing to break the rule.

And at the same time: I also can't find any explicit mentions of the rule in any official GMAT explanations. That doesn't mean much, of course: we all know that the OG explanations aren't always all that clear. ("D is awkward and wordy." Gee, thanks, OG! :thumbdown:) And it's also possible that I just didn't look in the right place -- maybe there's an official reference to the rule somewhere else. If any of you can find one, I'd love to hear about it!

Bottom line: I can't find any official violations of the rule, and I can point to quite a few questions where it seems to help eliminate a few answer choices. So unless somebody can come up with some more specific evidence, I'd stick with the rule for now.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
daagh

Very important analysis. I understood all of this except the last line.
daagh wrote:
You might see that choice E in the original does not have such a possessive error.

I see there is a possessive error, bull's + it. Am I missing something?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos