Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [312]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [103]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [56]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [35]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Re: Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division X or divi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I trudged through this for a while, and I can see now why it was not necessary:

PX + PY + FX + FY = Total

PX+PY = PZ

FX + FY = FZ

So the question is asking: FX/PX > (FZ)/(PZ)

From 1 : FY/(PY) < (FZ)/(PZ)

=> PZ * FY < FZ * PY

=> PZ ( FZ - FX) < FZ(PZ - PX)

=> PZ * FZ - PZ * FX < PZ*FZ - PX * FZ

=> PX * FZ < PZ * FX

=> FZ/PZ < FX/PX, so sufficient

From 2: FX > (FX + FY) /2 and PY > (PY + PX)/2

=> FX > FY and PY > PX

=> FX * PY > FY * PX

=> FX ( PZ - PX) > (FZ-FX)*PX

=> FX*PZ - FX*PX > FZ * PX - FX*PX

=> FX/PX > FZ/PZ, so sufficient

Hence the answer is D.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [25]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division X or divi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Don't worry. I understand weighted average. What is intriguing is that we use these concepts often without even meaning to use them. When I say 'he is using weights', it means the general concept of 'weighted averaging'

Let me give you an example:

I have two solutions X and Y, 1 lt each, of wine and water. Solution X has wine:water in the ratio 2:3. I mix these two solutions to get wine:water ratio in the mixture as 1:1. What is wine:water in Y?
Guess what, the ratio of wine:water in Y is 3:2.

You can do it in various ways
Say working with concentration on wine:
1/2 = (2/5 * 1 + x*1)/2
x = 3/5

or we can simply say that wine in X is 40%, so wine in Y must be 60% to get 50% in mixture. This is averaging (or more generically weighted averaging... ) Here the weights are the same....

But the thing to note is that it doesn't matter whether we have the weights or now because due to averaging, the mixture will have concentration of wine in between X and Y.
If one understands this, one may not need to use any math and do it intuitively. Others may use the equations above to arrive at the same conclusion.

gmat1220, I believe, was using a generic example to explain why his intuition said what it did. If you want to get a ratio of 1:1 in the combined mixture and one mixture has a ratio of 1:4, the other will have 4:1 provided they both have equal weights (but we don't have to worry about the weights since eventually they do not matter in our question) So basically, it is the same general concept of weighted averages.

@gmat1220: I hope this answers your question too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [22]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think no point solving this one. Use guesswork

In the weighted average if ratio (full time / part time) increases in division X, the ratio automatically decreases in division Y to keep the weighted average (ratio) same for company Z. This reasoning is for Statement 2)

The same can be applied intuitively to Statement 1) Hence both will be sufficient.

I will guess D after glancing for 60 secs.

punyadeep wrote:
Q))Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either Division X or Division Y, but not both. If each division
has some part-time employees, is the ratio of the number of full-time employees to the number of part-time
employees greater for Division X than for Company Z?
(1) The ratio of the number of full-time employees to the number of part-time employees is less for Division Y
than for Company Z.
(2) More than half the full-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division X, and more than half of
the part-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division Y.
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think I understand A now. even w/o setting up equations, I think I can deduce that b/c the ratio of FT/PT for Y is less than Z then FT/PT for X is going to be greater than Y.

Essentially the question is asking is FT greater for X and is the PT greater for Y.

Ex/ X: FTx/PTx = 6/5 Y: FTy/PTy 1/3

FTx/PTx > FTx+FTy/PTx+PTy ---> process of elimination thru subtraction yields

Is (FTx)(PTy)> (FTy)(PTx)?

S1:
If we do set up equations then we get: FTx+FTy/PTx+PTy > FTy/PTy

which when worked out similar to the equation above yields:
(PTy)(FTx)> (FTy)(PTx) the same as the above so Suff.

S2: No need for equations here. We can answer the question from our rephrased question.

Since MORE than half of the employees at Z are FT under X and more than half are of the employees at Z are PT under Y. Then this answers the question that is the ratio for X:

FTx/PTx> FTx+FTy/PTx+PTy. B/c the FTx is > the the PTx.

Let me know if my logic is correct. I think the nature of this question just spooked me and I just guessed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [19]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I dont understand why you have to solve in 60 seconds and guess. You can take 90 seconds and be sure.

Yes %Full-Z will be a weighted average of %Full-X and %Full-Y. So either X>Z>Y or X<Z<Y, Z will always be in the middle.

So (1) is enough, as if Y<Z, then 'X must >Z'

For 2 we see that X has more full time and less part time than Y, therefore X>Y, and by extension also X>Z.

So both are enough,(D)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [6]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Lets say

Division X - Fulltime Employee's Fx
Partime Employee's Px

Division Y - Fulltime Employee's Fy
Partime Employee's Py

Total Full Time Employee's F = Fx+Fy
Total Part Time Emplyee's P = Px+Py

Rephrasing Given all they are asking is Fx/Px > (Fx+Fy)/(Px+Py) ? = > Fx/Px > Fy/Py?

1. Fy/Py < (Fx+Fy)/(Px+Py)

cross multiplying and solving this we get Fy/Py < Fx/Px , thats exactly what you had to find. So sufficient

2. Fx> Fy
Py> Px

Fx/Px Fy/Py
so division x has a bigger numerator than division y
and a small numerator than division y.

=> Fx/Px > Fy/Py

Sufficient

Hence Answer is D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
I dont think you understand the meaning of 'weighted' average. You are assuming X and Y have the same size/weight
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Send PM
Pardon me. a) ratios are fractions and not certain numbers and b) there is no statement - saying one division is superior over the other. I dont know what you mean by weight.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [7]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Actually, both of you are using exactly the same concept. You are just applying it differently.
bostonrb has depicted the use of weighted averages to solve it, gmat1220 is using it intuitively to solve the question and of course both of you are correct...

Quote gmat1220:
Lets say ratio was initially 1:1 for Z and for the divisions X 1:1 and for Y 1:1

Now I make the ratio for X as 1:4. Since X is 1:4 then Y will become 4:1 So that the weighted ratio is still 1:1.

This just means we are considering weights even if we are showing it in the form of ratios.

According to statement 1, Full:Part for Y is less than that for Z, it means fraction of Full time employees (Full/Total) is less in Y as compared to Z. Hence to get a higher fraction in Z, X must have an even higher fraction of Full time employees (Full/Total)
So if one group has a smaller Full:Part ratio, the other group must have a bigger Full:Part ratio.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Send PM
Karishma,
I didn't do math in this question. So let me throw numbers
20:40 initially for company Z
Let's change ratio of div X to 10:10 then the ratio of div Y becomes 10:30. But yes the intuition was right

If 40:40 initially for company Z
Let's change ratio of div X to 10:30 then ratio of Y becomes 30:10

Pls verify. Thanks for confirming

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Is there an alternative explanation for this question? What would be the difficulty level of this question?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [4]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Kudos
Z is divided in to X and Y => Y <------- Z ------> X ( imagine its a chart not sure how to draw it out in here)

let the part time employees under division X be Px
Let the full time employees under division X be Fx

let the part time employees under division Y be Py
Let the full time employees under division Y be Fy

So the question is asking

Is \(\frac{Fx}{Px} > \frac{Fx+ Fy}{Px + Py}\) ?

We can cross multiply since all values positive

=> \(Fx.Px + Fx.Py > Fx.Px + Px.Fy\)

So the question \(is Fx.Py > Px.Fy?\)

Statement 1 says => the ratio of the number of full time employees to the number of part-time employees is less for division Y than for Company Z

\(\frac{Fy}{Py} < \frac{Fy + Fx}{Px + Py}\)

Cross multiply we get

=> \(Fy.Px + Fy.Py < Fy.Py + Fx.Py\)
=> \(Fy.Px < Fx.Py\)

re-arrange\(Fx.Py > Fy.Px\) sufficient

Statement 2 => More than half of the full-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division X, and more than half of thepart-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division Y

\(\frac{Fx}{Fx + Fy}> \frac{1}{2}\) => \(2Fx > Fx + Fy\)=> \(Fx > Fy\)

And

\(\frac{Py}{Py + Px} > \frac{1}{2}\)

=> \(2Py > Py + Px\)

=>\(Py > Px\) => \(\frac{Px}{Py} < 1\) and \(Fx > Fy\) => \(\frac{Fx}{Fy}> 1\)

The question is\(Fx.Py > Px.Fy\)

Re-arrange the question \(Fx.Py > Px.Fy\)

\(\frac{Fx}{Fy}\) ( Greater than 1) > \(\frac{Px}{Py}\) ( less than 1) from statement above

sufficient

Answer is D
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM