GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 18:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Environmentalists fear that looming global economic slowdown

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Environmentalists fear that looming global economic slowdown [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Jul 2015, 13:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:51) correct 40% (01:55) wrong based on 621 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Environmentalists fear that looming global economic slowdown will thwart efforts to curb carbon emissions. Since complying with strict environmental regulations would impose a significant financial burden on many businesses and industries, most will balk at the prospect and not reduce their respective carbon footprints. Governments, meanwhile, will be reductant to impose environmental restrictions, for fear of suppressing economic growth.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Governments, whether local or federal, will not raise taxes on already financially burdened populations.
B. There are no cost-cutting measures that businesses could implement to help them survive a compromised economic climate.
C. Tax cuts alone will not stop industries from resisting efforts to curb carbon emissions.
D. A worldwide economic slowdown would not significantly reduce energy demand and industrial output, both of which are linked to high levels of carbon emissions.
E. High levels of economic growth are impossible to achieve with any level of reduction in global energy consumption.

Source: PR 1012

Trying to make CR and RC my strong points

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

Originally posted by kt00381n on 02 Dec 2010, 15:37.
Last edited by reto on 29 Jul 2015, 13:00, edited 2 times in total.
added question
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: Environmentalists fear that looming global economic slowdown [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 16:33
a. Governments, whether local or federal, will not raise taxes on already financially burdened populations. ---> taxes aren't the only way to regulate Carbon Emissions. There are cabinet level regulations as well. This cannot be the answer.
b. There are no cost-cutting measures that businesses could implement to help them survive a compromised economic climate. ---> Tempting, but the stimulus deals with global economic growth. Businesses are merely things that contribute to that growth.
c. Tax cuts alone will not stop industries from resisting efforts to curb carbon emissions. ---> Only refers to tax cuts as the only way to curb emissions. Stimulus is wide open on that subject. Cannot be the answer.
d. A worldwide economic slowdown would not significantly reduce energy demand and industrial output, both of which are linked to high levels of carbon emissions. ---> Answer weakens the argument from the stimulus.
e. High levels of economic growth are impossible to achieve with any level of reduction in global energy consumption. ---> This should be the answer. Negate it and it destroys the stimulus.

I may have butchered this one though. My head hurts, and a lot of people are talking around my desk at work.

kt00381n wrote:
Environmentalists fear that looming global economic slowdown will thwart efforts to curb carbon emissions. Since complying with strict environmental regulations would impose a significant financial burden on many businesses and industries, most will balk at the prospect and not reduce their respective carbon footprints. Governments, meanwhile, will be reductant to impose environmental restrictions, for fear of suppressing economic growth.

a. Governments, whether local or federal, will not raise taxes on already financially burdened populations.
b. There are no cost-cutting measures that businesses could implement to help them survive a compromised economic climate.
c. Tax cuts alone will not stop industries from resisting efforts to curb carbon emissions.
d. A worldwide economic slowdown would not significantly reduce energy demand and industrial output, both of which are linked to high levels of carbon emissions.
e. High levels of economic growth are impossible to achieve with any level of reduction in global energy consumption.

OA is after discussion. And please explain your answer!!!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 19:19
I chose B over E....E was tempting too, but for some reason I found it not an assumption....

OA Please?

Thanks,
VP

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 19:31
I will definitely post OA soon. Just want to see more replies.

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 22:10
[quote="kt00381n"]Environmentalists fear that looming global economic slowdown will thwart efforts to curb carbon emissions. Since complying with strict environmental regulations would impose a significant financial burden on many businesses and industries, most will balk at the prospect and not reduce their respective carbon footprints. Governments, meanwhile, will be reductant to impose environmental restrictions, for fear of suppressing economic growth.

a. Governments, whether local or federal, will not raise taxes on already financially burdened populations.
b. There are no cost-cutting measures that businesses could implement to help them survive a compromised economic climate.
c. Tax cuts alone will not stop industries from resisting efforts to curb carbon emissions.
d. A worldwide economic slowdown would not significantly reduce energy demand and industrial output, both of which are linked to high levels of carbon emissions.
e. High levels of economic growth are impossible to achieve with any level of reduction in global energy consumption.

answer is b. from the argument in order for curb carbon emission, is a costly process. if govt try to impose strict carbon emission the economy falls so the assumption is there are no cost-cutting measures that businesses could implement to help them survive a compromised economic climate.

consider giving kudos if it helps you
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 22:51
Ok, i need to go to sleep since its 1am in NY and therefore im posting the answer :-D

OA is D.

It appears to me that PR 1012 has very hard questions for assumptions and therefore to confirm my point i posted one of the questions here. I will try to post more, but dont promise since it is very time consuming ( and every minute counts here :))
Originally, I choose E (was debating between E and D), however now i see why E is incorrect. First of all, it is too extreme (and as i saw this before we dont like this on assumption questions) by saying impossible. Also, in my opinion it mentions high levels of eco growth but the passage never talks about high levels of eco growth.

Toughie i guess.

Thanks guys for at least trying to reply!!! I appreciate!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 23:17
D is correct as it is an assumption made by the argument that a slow economy will in turn not result in lower carbon emissions. This is called a defender assumption question where you defend the passage and eliminate a possible undermining of the argument.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2013, 01:03
I can't find the question!!! would you please repost or could someone please point out the question for me?

Struggling: make or break attempt

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT Date: 12-10-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2013, 08:49

it was B vs D for me...but if we negate D, the argument falls apart.. if energy demand is reduced, >>industrial output reduced >>carbon emission reduced
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2013, 10:35
Question asks, "A global economic slowdown is a barrier to lowering our carbon emissions, because an economic slowdown discourages businesses from reducing their carbon footprint and governments from imposing restrictions, either of which may hurt economic growth. What would we have to assume for this to be true?"

Format:
A -> C (economic slowdown -> no curbing of carbon emissions)
A -> B -> C (economic slowdown -> assumption -> no curbing)

Goal: find B.

- Incorrect: irrelevant. We're talking about businesses and governments imposing restrictions on the former -- not raising taxes on the population.

- Incorrect: irrelevant. We're talking about what businesses are/aren't doing to curb their carbon emissions, not what they're doing to survive the economic slowdown.

anilnandyala wrote:
answer is b. from the argument in order for curb carbon emission, is a costly process. if govt try to impose strict carbon emission the economy falls so the assumption is there are no cost-cutting measures that businesses could implement to help them survive a compromised economic climate.

Interesting argument! You're saying that an imposition + no cost-cutting measures = businesses cannot survive = economy falls? Good point, but the argument does not state that if businesses cannot survive, then the economy falls. It only states that imposing restrictions may be a financial burden, and thus, a threat to economic growth. Also, we can't assume that a business cannot survive because there are not cost-cutting measures that businesses can rely on to survive the economic slowdown; there may be other ways the business could survive. Cost-cutting measures could be sufficient for a business to survive, but it may not be necessary. In other words: cost cutting measures -> survive is not the same as no cost cutting measures -> does not survive. However, these points are not relevant to our search, anyway, which is trying to find what assumption helps us conclude that the economic slowdown will thwart efforts to reduce carbon emissions.

- Incorrect: irrelevant. The question does not make it clear what the government would do in terms of providing incentives for emission reduction; it only mentions restrictions (disincentive).

- Correct: Before stating that an economic slowdown would go against efforts to reduce carbon emission, we would have to assume that an economic slowdown already did not reduce energy demand/industrial output (AKA carbon emissions). If the slowdown did reduce energy demand/industrial output/carbon emissions, then an economic slowdown would be helping the environmental movement, and the argument wouldn't really make any sense.

- Incorrect: We're talking about an economic slowdown in general and carbon emissions, not high levels economic growth and energy consumption. I also agree with those who stated that this was too extreme of an answer ("impossible").
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2013, 11:00
The reason i believe D is the correct answer is as given below.

First try and negate D - "A worldwide economic slowdown would significantly reduce energy demand and industrial output, both of which are linked to high levels of carbon emissions."

D--The negation of this answer is that the economic slowdown WILL reduce energy demand and industrial output. This contradicts
the conclusion that economic problems will thwart efforts to curb carbon emissions and hence is the right answer.

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2014, 15:38
Dude please post the freaking question

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Retired Moderator
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 12:56
akhil911 wrote:
The reason i believe D is the correct answer is as given below.

First try and negate D - "A worldwide economic slowdown would significantly reduce energy demand and industrial output, both of which are linked to high levels of carbon emissions."

D--The negation of this answer is that the economic slowdown WILL reduce energy demand and industrial output. This contradicts
the conclusion that economic problems will thwart efforts to curb carbon emissions and hence is the right answer.

Are you guys sure about D? The conclusion is "economic problems will thwart efforts to curb carbon emission" so if we have a worldwide economic slowdown and hence lower carbon emissions (due to lower demand), it is not the same as companies doing an effort!!!!

Do you believe the environmentalist would be happy as long he/she has lower emissions (due to lower demand but not due to companie's effort?) but at the same time companies who do not really care?

Could anyone support this please? So for me only B would works.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 23:00
Hi Experts,

Can someone explain why option B is incorrect.

Many thanks in advance.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 00:30
smartguy595 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Many thanks in advance.

It seems out of scope.

I found some explanation on beatthegmat.com

"D is the only option which mentions the implicit assumption in the argument, that being that the financial downturn will not lead to a reduced energy consumption in the world.

All other options re out of context."

This question is however not very clear imo. So do not bother and go on.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 00:45
reto wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Many thanks in advance.

It seems out of scope.

I found some explanation on beatthegmat.com

"D is the only option which mentions the implicit assumption in the argument, that being that the financial downturn will not lead to a reduced energy consumption in the world.

All other options re out of context."

This question is however not very clear imo. So do not bother and go on.

Thanks for the reply Reto.

There are many questions of assumption here which are very critical like this question .

Source of these questions were not mentioned. Can I skip those qstns from unknown sources.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 00:49
smartguy595 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Reto.

There are many questions of assumption here which are very critical like this question .

Source of these questions were not mentioned. Can I skip those qstns from unknown sources.

It's from Princeton Review. Focus on Official Guide Questions, it's better. Buy the gmatprep software and study with it. (Kudos if it helps :))

https://books.google.ch/books?id=qRh_Bk ... h.&f=false

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 21:32
It is a cause and effect.

E Slowdown - > Increase Carbon ;
In D it is stating that
E slowdown -x-> decrease Carbon.

Assumption negating this will destroy the conclusion.
My take is D . while in B it is making broader. so its wrong- if it says any other then its right
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 09:03
+1 for D
Negating D shatters the conclusion
B mentions no cost cutting measures, which is a bit extreme IMO

+1 if this helps!

kt00381n wrote:

A. Governments, whether local or federal, will not raise taxes on already financially burdened populations.
B. There are no cost-cutting measures that businesses could implement to help them survive a compromised economic climate.
C. Tax cuts alone will not stop industries from resisting efforts to curb carbon emissions.
D. A worldwide economic slowdown would not significantly reduce energy demand and industrial output, both of which are linked to high levels of carbon emissions.
E. High levels of economic growth are impossible to achieve with any level of reduction in global energy consumption.

Regards,
Adi

Re: Environmentalists fear that looming global economic slowdown   [#permalink] 08 May 2018, 09:03

Environmentalists fear that looming global economic slowdown

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap