GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 147
Location: USA
Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2008, 13:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (00:53) correct 42% (00:26) wrong based on 90 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes the eater ill, but only recently has it been established that the illness is caused by a toxin present in the quail’s body only under certain conditions.

(A) Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes

(B) Europeans have long known quail eating is sometimes able to make

(C) Eating quail has long been known to Europeans to sometimes make

(D) It has long been known to Europeans that quail eating will sometimes make

(E) It has long been known to Europeans that quail, when it is eaten, has sometimes made

Please post your answers with explanation.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 901
Re: SC : Europeans have long known that eating quail  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2008, 13:54
The underlined "It" implies we need a clear subject for its reference. Logically whole of the previous phrase is acting as a subject for this "It". Thereby making "Europeans" as subject is not correct. So A and B is incorrect.

C and E are awkward constructions because of "known to Europeans to sometimes make" in C. In E it implies that "quail has sometimes made eater ill" instead of "eating of quail has sometimes made eater ill".

IMO D is the Best Choice.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 731
Re: SC : Europeans have long known that eating quail  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2008, 15:53
Answer: A

(A) Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes

(B) Europeans have long known quail eating is sometimes able to make [able to make – wordy makes concise]

(C) Eating quail has long been known to Europeans to sometimes make [split infinitives – eliminate it]

(D) It has long been known to Europeans that quail eating will sometimes make [Agreement issue – eliminate it]

(E) It has long been known to Europeans that quail, when it is eaten, has sometimes made [awkward]
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1219
Reviews Badge
Re: SC : Europeans have long known that eating quail  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2008, 20:21
abhijit_sen wrote:
The underlined "It" implies we need a clear subject for its reference. Logically whole of the previous phrase is acting as a subject for this "It". Thereby making "Europeans" as subject is not correct. So A and B is incorrect.

C and E are awkward constructions because of "known to Europeans to sometimes make" in C. In E it implies that "quail has sometimes made eater ill" instead of "eating of quail has sometimes made eater ill".

IMO D is the Best Choice.

A
Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes the eater ill, but only recently has it been established that the illness is caused by a toxin present in the quail’s body only under certain conditions

We have 2 independent sentences joined by a conjunction but.


Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes the eater ill

The bolded part after that is again an independent clause.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 487
Reviews Badge
Re: SC : Europeans have long known that eating quail  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2008, 11:11
It should be A, as it is in active voice, uses the right tense and is concise.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1265
Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2008, 11:39
Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes the eater ill, but only recently has it been established that the illness is caused by a toxin present in the quail’s body only under certain conditions.
(A) Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes
(B) Europeans have long known quail eating is sometimes able to make
(C) Eating quail has long been known to Europeans to sometimes make
(D) It has long been known to Europeans that quail eating will sometimes make
(E) It has long been known to Europeans that quail, when it is eaten, has sometimes made
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1840
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2008, 11:41
A.

B) "quail eating" is incorrect and funny.
C) Too many "to"'s in the sentence.
D) Again "quail eating"
E) wordy and awkward.
spriya wrote:
Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes the eater ill, but only recently has it been established that the illness is caused by a toxin present in the quail’s body only under certain conditions.
(A) Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes
(B) Europeans have long known quail eating is sometimes able to make
(C) Eating quail has long been known to Europeans to sometimes make
(D) It has long been known to Europeans that quail eating will sometimes make
(E) It has long been known to Europeans that quail, when it is eaten, has sometimes made

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1265
Re: Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2008, 11:54
jallenmorris wrote:
A.

B) "quail eating" is incorrect and funny.
C) Too many "to"'s in the sentence.
D) Again "quail eating"
E) wordy and awkward.
spriya wrote:
Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes the eater ill, but only recently has it been established that the illness is caused by a toxin present in the quail’s body only under certain conditions.
(A) Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes
(B) Europeans have long known quail eating is sometimes able to make
(C) Eating quail has long been known to Europeans to sometimes make
(D) It has long been known to Europeans that quail eating will sometimes make
(E) It has long been known to Europeans that quail, when it is eaten, has sometimes made


except quail eating does there exist any other mistake in (D)?
since if we consider post comma sentence after BUT it says :only recently has it been established ....

hence shouldn't the starting phrase be in parallel with the above statment.This is met in D and not in A.
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 500
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Re: Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2008, 12:47
The usage of "It" in D & E is incorrect - pronoun error
C - too many "to"
B - "quail eating is sometimes able to make" - incorrect & funny
A is your choice
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1265
Re: Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2008, 19:13
pawan203 wrote:
The usage of "It" in D & E is incorrect - pronoun error
C - too many "to"
B - "quail eating is sometimes able to make" - incorrect & funny
A is your choice

OA is A
Thanks for explanations
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Posts: 33
Re: SC : Europeans have long known that eating quail  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 21:27
1
C,D,E are out. Wrong usage of known To (idiom).
In a sentence, known to should follow verb.

E, using "when" is wrong. when is used for referring time.
B is wrong because it changes the meaning of the original sentence.. its not the quail eating that makes the eater ill. and moreover, "sometimes able to make" is wordy

A is correct because, Singular verb, squail eating uses singular verb, makes and is precise
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2008
Posts: 156
Re: SC : Europeans have long known that eating quail  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2010, 11:56
1
vishy007 wrote:
Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes the eater ill, but only recently has it been established that the illness is caused by a toxin present in the quail’s body only under certain conditions.

(A) Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes
(B) Europeans have long known quail eating is sometimes able to make
(C) Eating quail has long been known to Europeans to sometimes make
(D) It has long been known to Europeans that quail eating will sometimes make
(E) It has long been known to Europeans that quail, when it is eaten, has sometimes made


B-- we need a that..Europeans have long known that.. and eating quail is the right usage
C- to sometimes make is wrong
D- passive form and again eating quail is the right usage
E-- has sometimes made is wrong
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 223
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: SC : Europeans have long known that eating quail  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2010, 12:48
geturdream wrote:
vishy007 wrote:
Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes the eater ill, but only recently has it been established that the illness is caused by a toxin present in the quail’s body only under certain conditions.

(A) Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes
(B) Europeans have long known quail eating is sometimes able to make
(C) Eating quail has long been known to Europeans to sometimes make
(D) It has long been known to Europeans that quail eating will sometimes make
(E) It has long been known to Europeans that quail, when it is eaten, has sometimes made


B-- we need a that..Europeans have long known that.. and eating quail is the right usage
C- to sometimes make is wrong
D- passive form and again eating quail is the right usage
E-- has sometimes made is wrong

Nice explianation. I was able to eliminate B and D for quail eating
_________________

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 52
Re: SC : Europeans have long known that eating quail  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2010, 08:00
thought of D but nice explanation thanks
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2015
Posts: 21
Location: China
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Re: Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 18:13
spriya wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
A.

B) "quail eating" is incorrect and funny.
C) Too many "to"'s in the sentence.
D) Again "quail eating"
E) wordy and awkward.
spriya wrote:
Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes the eater ill, but only recently has it been established that the illness is caused by a toxin present in the quail’s body only under certain conditions.
(A) Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes
(B) Europeans have long known quail eating is sometimes able to make
(C) Eating quail has long been known to Europeans to sometimes make
(D) It has long been known to Europeans that quail eating will sometimes make
(E) It has long been known to Europeans that quail, when it is eaten, has sometimes made


except quail eating does there exist any other mistake in (D)?
since if we consider post comma sentence after BUT it says :only recently has it been established ....

hence shouldn't the starting phrase be in parallel with the above statment.This is met in D and not in A.


(A) Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes
Correct.

(B) Europeans have long known quail eating is sometimes able to make
Wrong.
(1) "quail eating" is really funny, since it means that a quail is eating something, and it is not regarded as a kind of food.
(2) "is sometimes able to make" equals "sometimes make", and therefore is redundant.

(C) Eating quail has long been known to Europeans to sometimes make
Wrong.
(1) There is no need to use passive voice here, and the usage of "to" looks strange.
(2) "make" is wrong because "Eating quail" is singular.

(D) It has long been known to Europeans that quail eating will sometimes make
Wrong.
(1) "quail eating" is really funny, since it means that a quail is eating something, and it is not regarded as a kind of food.
(2) "will sometimes make" is redundant, because "sometimes make" has already stated "possibility". There is no need to use "will" to stress "possibility" again.
(3) Parallel. It is incorrect to use simple future tense here, because from the clause "that the illness is caused by a toxin..." we see that simple present tense is needed.

(E) It has long been known to Europeans that quail, when it is eaten, has sometimes made
Wrong.
(1) The structure "quail, when it is eaten" is false. It looks like quail itself causes the disease, not eating quail.
(2) Parallel. It is incorrect to use present perfect tense here, because from the clause "that the illness is caused by a toxin..." we see that simple present tense is needed.
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 518
Premium Member
Re: Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 12:28
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes &nbs [#permalink] 14 May 2017, 12:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.