Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Verbal Expert Topic That “-ing” word probably isn’t a verb [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
aalekhoza wrote:
Theory - When we have an independent clause followed by a participle phrase, the participle phrase modifies the subject of the sentence. Then why not in the sentence at hand?

Quote:
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.
Let's look at "ing + comma" and "comma + ing" separately.

I agree that if the sentence starts with an "ing ,", that modifier applies to the clause that comes after it (hopefully with no other modifiers in the middle to make the sentence more difficult to read). However, we'll have to be a little more careful when trying to apply this to a situation in which the ", ing" comes after other structures in a sentence. In such a case, the ", ing" may not be directly associated with the main subject (of the entire sentence).

This post has an example that may help.

The correct option in the question that you linked to is:
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

You can also take a look at the following example in GMATNinja 's post:
The angry politician, frustrated by the opposition’s parliamentary tactics and screaming about the other parties’ unconstitutional behavior, is both a hypocrite and a narcissist.

I'm not sure whether I've fully answered your question though. The main point is that we'll have to recognize that ", -ing" structures are not restricted in the way we might have thought they are.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31897 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aalekhoza wrote:
Can any expert help me with my post above? (https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... l#p2267086)

Also as we know that :
Theory - When we have an independent clause followed by a participle phrase, the participle phrase modifies the subject of the sentence. Then why not in the sentence at hand?

Quote:
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

Hi,

If I have understood your question, it concerns..
1) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city...
Here, you feel that determined and differing should modify the subject of the main clause, that is The growth of the railroads.

Yes, the verb+ed and verb+ing modifier modifies the subject of the clause or the action of the clause.
But be careful on what you consider as modifiers.
Here words ' determined' and 'differing' are parallel, but determined is preceded by 'was', so the terms are acting like normal verbs.
So, when you replace 'which' by what it modifies, the sentence becomes..
local times was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [1]
Send PM
Thank you so much for your reply AjiteshArun. I think MEANING is most critical part of the sentence, and maybe that is what you were trying to make me understand. Right?
I also understood the concept that you explained in the link that you have attached. If we apply the same flip technique in the sentence at hand :

Determined by...and Differing from city to city, the growth... This actually doesn't make any sense, though it makes complete sense when these two modifiers modify local time. I'll make a note of this :
Quote:
However, we'll have to be a little more careful when trying to apply this to a situation in which the ", ing" comes after other structures in a sentence. In such a case, the ", ing" may not be directly associated with the main subject (of the entire sentence)

Thanks for your explanation chetan2u, I have made a note of learning from your post.
Thanks again. Kind Regards!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
GMATNinja is there any article by you on the usage of a preposition with -ing and on the usage of To-Verb

Gagan
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
gagan0303 wrote:
GMATNinja is there any article by you on the usage of a preposition with -ing and on the usage of To-Verb

Gagan

Nope, sorry. But if you have trouble with this sort of thing while working on an official question, feel free to tag us, and we'll do our best to help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja,

This topic is very insightful. But a small 50-min video on youtube, sprinkled with jokes and examples, would've been music to our ears. :inlove:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
nikhilvarekar wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

This topic is very insightful. But a small 50-min video on youtube, sprinkled with jokes and examples, would've been music to our ears. :inlove:

Haha, thank you, nikhilvarekar! We've flirted with the idea of turning this topic into a video, but haven't quite pulled the trigger. We'll add it to the wishlist for our next series. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
nikhilvarekar wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

Haha, thank you, nikhilvarekar! We've flirted with the idea of turning this topic into a video, but haven't quite pulled the trigger. We'll add it to the wishlist for our next series. :)

Hi GMATNinja,

Very glad to know about the upcoming series. When can we expect the first video? I will replenish my paper and wafer stock accordingly!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

4) “-ing” modifiers, part II: adjectives

The fourth and final use of “-ing” words is that they can be nice, boring adjectives:

• The man resembling Steve Buchemi has bad teeth.
  • The woman leading the meeting is the company’s CFO.

These aren’t terribly interesting, to be honest: in the first case, “resembling” just modifies the man, and in the second case, “leading” just modifies the woman. Adjectives… yawn.

GMATNinja - thank you for the wonderful SC (& nostalgic grammar!) lessons.

In this quote, I understand how "resembling" modifies "the man". Ask the question, "how is the man", answer is "resembling XXX", so resembling is an adjective.

But in the second sentence, ask the question "how is the woman", the answer is not "leading". It sounds like the woman's action here is to lead the meeting, hence "leading" is a verb.
Can you help what I missed here?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
nikhilvarekar wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
nikhilvarekar wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

Hi GMATNinja,

Very glad to know about the upcoming series. When can we expect the first video? I will replenish my paper and wafer stock accordingly!

It isn't in the pipeline yet, but we'll definitely let everyone know if/when it happens!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
archana21 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

The fourth and final use of “-ing” words is that they can be nice, boring adjectives:

These aren’t terribly interesting, to be honest: in the first case, “resembling” just modifies the man, and in the second case, “leading” just modifies the woman. Adjectives… yawn.

In this quote, I understand how "resembling" modifies "the man". Ask the question, "how is the man", answer is "resembling XXX", so resembling is an adjective.

But in the second sentence, ask the question "how is the woman", the answer is not "leading". It sounds like the woman's action here is to lead the meeting, hence "leading" is a verb.

Well, adjectives can do more than simply answer the question, "How is the {noun}?" Broadly speaking, an adjective describes a quality or state of being of the noun.

Consider the following example:

"The man dressed in purple and screaming in the street attracted the attention of the police."

Yes, "screaming" implies an action. But in this sentence, "screaming" is not the main verb. Instead, it just tells us more about the man -- just as "dressed in purple" tells us more about the man. Sure, the man must have completed the action of getting dressed at some point if he is now dressed in purple, but that doesn't make "dressed" the main verb.

If we strip out the modifiers, we're left with this:

"The man attracted the attention of the police."

It should be fairly obviously that "attracted" is the main verb. The stuff we stripped out ("dressed in purple and screaming in the street") just qualifies the man, describing his qualities (dressed in purple) and state of being (screaming in the street).

Luckily, the GMAT will never ask you to label parts of a sentence, so don't drive yourself too crazy over this! When in doubt, identify the core of the sentence (main subject + main verb) first -- that should make it easier to identify the extra modifying information.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
archana21 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Well, adjectives can do more than simply answer the question, "How is the {noun}?" Broadly speaking, an adjective describes a quality or state of being of the noun.

Consider the following example:

"The man dressed in purple and screaming in the street attracted the attention of the police."

Yes, "screaming" implies an action. But in this sentence, "screaming" is not the main verb. Instead, it just tells us more about the man -- just as "dressed in purple" tells us more about the man. Sure, the man must have completed the action of getting dressed at some point if he is now dressed in purple, but that doesn't make "dressed" the main verb.

If we strip out the modifiers, we're left with this:

"The man attracted the attention of the police."

It should be fairly obviously that "attracted" is the main verb. The stuff we stripped out ("dressed in purple and screaming in the street") just qualifies the man, describing his qualities (dressed in purple) and state of being (screaming in the street).

Luckily, the GMAT will never ask you to label parts of a sentence, so don't drive yourself too crazy over this! When in doubt, identify the core of the sentence (main subject + main verb) first -- that should make it easier to identify the extra modifying information.

I hope that helps!

Sure it does! Thanks a ton for your response.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2