It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 578

Kudos [?]: 562 [4], given: 75

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 08:20
4
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:04) correct 39% (01:04) wrong based on 273 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite and other ores using the Hall-Héroult process, with a vast amount of electrical energy separating the element from aluminum oxide, making aluminum an energy-dense resource with a huge carbon footprint.

using the Hall-Héroult process, with a vast amount of electrical energy separating the element from aluminum oxide, making
by means of the Hall-Héroult process, in which a vast amount of electrical energy separates the element from aluminum oxide, making
by means of using the Hall-Héroult process, in which a vast amount of electrical energy separates the element from aluminum oxide, is making
by means of the Hall-Héroult process, in which a vast amount of electrical energy separates the element from aluminum oxide, makes
using the Hall-Héroult process, with a vast amount of electrical energy separating the element from aluminum oxide, makes

Press +1 Kudos , if you like this question .

thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Thanks,
Lucky

_______________________________________________________
Kindly press the Image to appreciate my post !! :-)

Kudos [?]: 562 [4], given: 75

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 00:07
Aluminium is more reactive with other elements such as silicon and oxygen than iron. There is too little silicon and oxygen in the Earth to bind all available metals, so preferentially bonds to the more reactive metals leaving free iron metal. Because Iron metal is far denser than silicate rock, all of the free iron metal differentiated in to the Earth's core, leaving the silicate Earth (which includes the crust) heavily depleted in iron.

The crust is also ultimately derived by partial melting of the mantle. The Al-rich minerals tend to melt out of the mantle in preference to the Fe-Mg ones (principally olivine), so the magmas that ultimately formed the crust, are further enriched in Aluminium. more: kingaluc

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 622

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 46

Re: Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 03:29
Lucky2783 wrote:
Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite and other ores using the Hall-Héroult process, with a vast amount of electrical energy separating the element from aluminum oxide, making aluminum an energy-dense resource with a huge carbon footprint.

using the Hall-Héroult process, with a vast amount of electrical energy separating the element from aluminum oxide, making
by means of the Hall-Héroult process, in which a vast amount of electrical energy separates the element from aluminum oxide, making
by means of using the Hall-Héroult process, in which a vast amount of electrical energy separates the element from aluminum oxide, is making
by means of the Hall-Héroult process, in which a vast amount of electrical energy separates the element from aluminum oxide, makes
using the Hall-Héroult process, with a vast amount of electrical energy separating the element from aluminum oxide, makes

Press +1 Kudos , if you like this question .

thanks.


A- fragment
B- fragment
C-wrong tense
D-fine
E-"with " is wrong here ...it must be in which

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 46

VP
VP
User avatar
G
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1088

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 562

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 07:32
Answer is D
by means of the Hall-Héroult process, in which a vast amount of electrical energy separates the element from aluminum oxide, makes

All other choice are fragments and do not contain verb for the main sentence
Choice E on the other hand changes meaning it is saying that the process along with high electrical energy makes the aluminum an energy-dense resource with a huge carbon footprint..
But that is not what the original sentence intends.
The electrical energy is consumed in the process therefore making the aluminium energy dense resource.

_________________

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 562

CR Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 494

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 22:21
mikemcgarry

Dear Mike,

My friend, I have come across from an OE of Manhattan GMAT question (link given below) that 'by means of' is redundant.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/parallelism- ... 93464.html

Thinking that I ruled out option B, C, and D at first sight.

Do you think that it is correct?
_________________

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 197

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 149

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 10:43
kingpanel wrote:
Aluminium is more reactive with other elements such as silicon and oxygen than iron. There is too little silicon and oxygen in the Earth to bind all available metals, so preferentially bonds to the more reactive metals leaving free iron metal. Because Iron metal is far denser than silicate rock, all of the free iron metal differentiated in to the Earth's core, leaving the silicate Earth (which includes the crust) heavily depleted in iron.

The crust is also ultimately derived by partial melting of the mantle. The Al-rich minerals tend to melt out of the mantle in preference to the Fe-Mg ones (principally olivine), so the magmas that ultimately formed the crust, are further enriched in Aluminium. more: kingaluc



Thank you very much for the information :|

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 149

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Feb 2017
Posts: 38

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 38

Schools: CBS '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Re: Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 23:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
I feel that the current question and the question in your link test 2 different concepts.

The question here is testing the correct usage of the idiom "by means of". We use the term "by means of" to refer to actions that involve processes/methods and the term "with" to refer to actions that are carried out using a tool. For example, aluminum is extracted by means of the HH Process but Aluminium is cut with a pair of scissors etc.

Even otherwise, redundancy is NOT a way to eliminate options, unless we are stuck with 2 entirely correct options and can't decide between them.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Mahmud6 wrote:
mikemcgarry

Dear Mike,

My friend, I have come across from an OE of Manhattan GMAT question (link given below) that 'by means of' is redundant.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/parallelism- ... 93464.html

Thinking that I ruled out option B, C, and D at first sight.

Do you think that it is correct?

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 38

Re: Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2017, 23:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Extracting pure aluminum from bauxite

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.