It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 02:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the citys

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 38

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the citys [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2008, 00:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization


1000SC answer is A, but shoudn't this be wrong. A is not maintaing parallelism.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1886

Kudos [?]: 1395 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: 1000 SC Q290 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2008, 00:40
cumic wrote:
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization


1000SC answer is A, but shoudn't this be wrong. A is not maintaing parallelism.


If you do not provide evidence why it is not parallelism, I can not help!
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1395 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 38

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 SC Q290 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2008, 00:53
Quote:
If you do not provide evidence why it is not parallelism, I can not help!


OK, see below ->

mayor proposed a (nearly 17 percent) reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

I guess 'A reduction' should be 'To reduce'.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 SC Q290 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2008, 03:02
I guess , parallelism is there in 'to maintain.......' and 'to subsidise.....'. Also, in C 'year that was' isconfusing / not clear.
so A is fine.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 239

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 SC Q290 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 14:20
is really between A and C for me...

I will go for A, for some awkward construction in C.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 110

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Location: Canada
Re: 1000 SC Q290 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 16:35
Sunny143 wrote:
is really between A and C for me...

I will go for A, for some awkward construction in C.


C is wrong for two reasons:

1. modifier problem "previous year that was allocated"
2. changes meaning of the sentence:
-original meaning: mayor proposed reduction why? in order to do X (maintain) and Y (subsidize)
-altered meaning in C: mayor proposed to reduce and to subsidize

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 SC Q290   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2008, 16:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the citys

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.