Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: First attempt - 530 (Q35,V25) - Need Help! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Nag,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Raising a 530 to a 730+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, you have plenty of time to study - which is good. You've also now taken the Official GMAT, so you have a much better idea of what Test Day involves (and you can better take your future CATs in a manner that 'matches up' with what you'll face when you retake the GMAT).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
NagarjunaAdimulam wrote:
Initially when I started the preparation my concentration levels were good, but from past 2-3 weeks where I was studying for close to 9-10 hrs a day, I could see that I am making some silly mistakes because of this low concentration levels and that is what happened in my actual exam as well (I could not properly read the 4th RC, My eyes were paining so badly)

Any suggestions on the preparation plan and any inputs please!
Tiredness and lack of sleep are major reasons for underperformance. You need to be well rested in order to perform to your potential. Try to ensure that you don't work too hard in (let's say) the last week before the exam.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
KungFuGmat wrote:
Hi Nag,

I am sorry that you did not reach your target score. I suggest you order your ESR report from GMAT to know what your sectional abilities and timings are. You would need to know what is your strong area. And in aiming for 730 what would you want your target breakdown be? Stay on GMAT club. Follow @bunnel for Quant and @broall and @GMATNinja for verbal. Five months is a decent time to increase your score to 730. Also take a week or two off and start fresh--- you can do it.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thanks for the reply, My weak areas are DS in Quant and RC in Verbal. Yes, I will take a week off from the preparation and start again

Thanks,
Nag

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rohan2345 wrote:
NagarjunaAdimulam wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have just taken the GMAT today and scored a 530 (Q35, V25). I joined a coaching institute in Bangalore (their Verbal is good, but Quant is below average) and prepared for GMAT for 10 weeks. I was scoring somewhere around 610-630 in the mocks (2 GMATPrep and one Manhattan)

To be honest, I have not given my 100% effort for this attempt because of my hectic work schedule. Due to this low score I cannot apply for the Indian B-schools with deadlines around Dec 2017-Jan 2018. I am planning for next admission cycle of Indian B-schools that starts from May 2018

My target for the next attempt is 730+, I know its a huge target and I am ready for it. I have another 5 months time, but I want to write the exam in 3-4 months and prepare for interviews after the exam.

Initially when I started the preparation my concentration levels were good, but from past 2-3 weeks where I was studying for close to 9-10 hrs a day, I could see that I am making some silly mistakes because of this low concentration levels and that is what happened in my actual exam as well (I could not properly read the 4th RC, My eyes were paining so badly)

Thanks,
Nag

Hi NagarjunaAdimulam,

I have been through a very similar situation. It’s a good thing you have taken your GMAT once. You now know your weaknesses and work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for around three months and solidify your base, you are sure to achieve your goal.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. Just by going through these guides and solving the OG will help you reach 600+. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Further,I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/.

You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.

Thanks for the reply Rohan, I will start with the MGMAT guides and OG 2018. Thanks for the references and link for 3 month study plan

Thanks,
Nag

Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Nag,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Raising a 530 to a 730+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, you have plenty of time to study - which is good. You've also now taken the Official GMAT, so you have a much better idea of what Test Day involves (and you can better take your future CATs in a manner that 'matches up' with what you'll face when you retake the GMAT).

Rich

Thanks for the reply Rich, I am planning to subscribe for EmpowerGMAT 3- months study plan, I tried with the free trail and liked it, please see the below answers for your questions

-- No, I skipped AWA
-- Yes, I took all the mocks at home
-- No, My Exam was scheduled for a 9 AM slot and I took all mocks in the evening time
-- No, I did not paused any mocks, only took the 8 min breaks, but as mentioned above I skipped AWA
-- No

Thanks,
Nag

Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
NagarjunaAdimulam wrote:

Tiredness and lack of sleep are major reasons for underperformance. You need to be well rested in order to perform to your potential. Try to ensure that you don't work too hard in (let's say) the last week before the exam.

You are right, I agree with that. Overdoing the preparation was a mistake

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nag,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, taking them at a different time of day, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Test Day involves a variety of really specific steps and parameters (including steps before the Test even begins - such as leaving your home, traveling, etc.). Every factor matters, including the psychological ones. When you sit down on Test Day, you KNOW that you're going to be in the Computer Lab for about 4 hours - but if you're just taking individual sections (or taking a CAT without the Essay and IR sections), then you KNOW that you'll be done in 1-2 hours. The attitude and energy that you use during practice will NOT be a match for what you'll need on Test Day, so it's not a proper way to practice. All of the 'differences' involved in how you took your CATs could explain why your Verbal Scaled Score dropped on Test Day. You weren't properly prepared for THAT full day, so your score fluctuated.

Thankfully, those are relatively easy issues to fix - but you really have to put the necessary details into how you take your CATs if you want to increase your chances of hitting a 730+ Score on Test Day.

Rich
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1988 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
First attempt - 530 (Q35,V25) - Need Help! [#permalink]
NagarjunaAdimulam wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have just taken the GMAT today and scored a 530 (Q35, V25). I joined a coaching institute in Bangalore (their Verbal is good, but Quant is below average) and prepared for GMAT for 10 weeks. I was scoring somewhere around 610-630 in the mocks (2 GMATPrep and one Manhattan)

To be honest, I have not given my 100% effort for this attempt because of my hectic work schedule. Due to this low score I cannot apply for the Indian B-schools with deadlines around Dec 2017-Jan 2018. I am planning for next admission cycle of Indian B-schools that starts from May 2018

My target for the next attempt is 730+, I know its a huge target and I am ready for it. I have another 5 months time, but I want to write the exam in 3-4 months and prepare for interviews after the exam.

Thanks,
Nag

Hi
Sorry to hear that your GMAT didn't go well.
In my opinion you need to brush up the fundamentals. MGMAT guides are the best way to do it, for both Quant and Verbal.
You can also subscribe to the Gmatclub self study plan as you have sufficient time. It is good for theory as well as practice.
Try to give atleast 2 hours on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekends for Gmat preparation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Nag,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, taking them at a different time of day, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Test Day involves a variety of really specific steps and parameters (including steps before the Test even begins - such as leaving your home, traveling, etc.). Every factor matters, including the psychological ones. When you sit down on Test Day, you KNOW that you're going to be in the Computer Lab for about 4 hours - but if you're just taking individual sections (or taking a CAT without the Essay and IR sections), then you KNOW that you'll be done in 1-2 hours. The attitude and energy that you use during practice will NOT be a match for what you'll need on Test Day, so it's not a proper way to practice. All of the 'differences' involved in how you took your CATs could explain why your Verbal Scaled Score dropped on Test Day. You weren't properly prepared for THAT full day, so your score fluctuated.

Thankfully, those are relatively easy issues to fix - but you really have to put the necessary details into how you take your CATs if you want to increase your chances of hitting a 730+ Score on Test Day.

Rich

Thanks for the suggestions Rich. I will take the full CATs from next time

Intern
Intern
Send PM
souvonik2k wrote:
NagarjunaAdimulam wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Nag

Hi
Sorry to hear that your GMAT didn't go well.
In my opinion you need to brush up the fundamentals. MGMAT guides are the best way to do it, for both Quant and Verbal.
You can also subscribe to the Gmatclub self study plan as you have sufficient time. It is good for theory as well as practice.
Try to give atleast 2 hours on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekends for Gmat preparation.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will start with MGMAT guides.

GMAT Club Bot