It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For several years Buddy's Bolt Barn

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1132 [4], given: 93

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
For several years Buddy's Bolt Barn [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:20) correct 36% (01:20) wrong based on 698 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For several years Buddy's Bolt Barn has specialized in supplying fasteners - nuts , bolts, screws - to workshops and manufacturing firms in the region . Buddy's in fact now supplies virtually all of the fasteners that this segment of the region's industry uses . Recently , however , many of the region's workshops and manufacturing firms have closed down .Therefore , unless Buddy's can expand into a new market segment , it too is likely to go out of business.

Which of the following , if true , most strengthens the argument ?

a. Most of the fasteners that Buddy's carries in inventory are not specialized and can be used in a wide variety of industries .

b. Historically , period with a lot of closures of workshops and manufacturing firms have generally been followed by periods with many startups of such firms.

c. Even with the recent closures , there are more workshops and manufacturing firms operating in the region now than there were when Buddy's Bolt Barn first opened.

d. The workshops and manufacturing firms in the region that have remained in business have all laid of workers because of shortage of orders.

e. Some of Buddy's managers have prior retail experience in other market segments.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1132 [4], given: 93

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 14

Reviews Badge
Re: For several years Buddy's Bolt Barn [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
Conc: Therefore , unless Buddy's can expand into a new market segment , it too is likely to go out of business.

The argument gives us a causality in conclusion. If not A then B

PT: In order to strengthen this conc we need to give evidence to support the conclusion.

a. Most of the fasteners that Buddy's carries in inventory are not specialized and can be used in a wide variety of industries . - Opposite. This gives us a reason why Buddy's will never close

b. Historically , period with a lot of closures of workshops and manufacturing firms have generally been followed by periods with many startups of such firms. - Opposite. Again provides another reason for business to sustain

c. Even with the recent closures , there are more workshops and manufacturing firms operating in the region now than there were when Buddy's Bolt Barn first opened. - Irrelevant. We don't know what do these firms supply. Are they in the same business as buddy if yes they weaken the conclusion and if not they strengthen.

d. The workshops and manufacturing firms in the region that have remained in business have all laid of workers because of shortage of orders. - Correct. This proves that indeed there is no work in the workshops and manufacturing sector and hence increases our belief in the fact that if buddy doesn't take alternate measures, he will go out of business

e. Some of Buddy's managers have prior retail experience in other market segments.[/quote] - OFS. Retail experience and buddy;s managers are both out of scope and has no bearance on buddy's business

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 14

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 240 [1], given: 81

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 15:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
When I read this it seems as though the Mandate is for Buddy to expand or die. So that is the focus im going to bring to the question. Does the answer say expand or die?

Given that they talk about workshops and Manufacturing firms, I will need to see that in the answer choice. This is kind of a trick that I use. The answer Choice needs to have those words in it to bridge the gap like 80% of the time.

B & C have that in the answer do not tell me expand or die. Rather, that he could find other outlets for his fasteners.

D strengthens the argument that he needs to expand or die, because those he is selling too are withering on the vine.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 240 [1], given: 81

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 17:13
A through C are all give us reasons to believe that even after the recent closure of workshops, Buddy's may not loose its business. Hence all weaken the conclusion.
E, on the other hand, seems to be irrelevant but i found it a weakener too. It gives me a reason to believe that given their prior experience, Buddy's managers can expand the business in other market segments and Buddy's may survive again.
D however, gives another reason to believe that the situation is actually bad. If Buddy's customers are laying off workers because of no work, Buddy's is definitely gonna face hard times.

Hence D it is :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 142

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 112

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 06:08
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
When I read this it seems as though the Mandate is for Buddy to expand or die. So that is the focus im going to bring to the question. Does the answer say expand or die?

Given that they talk about workshops and Manufacturing firms, I will need to see that in the answer choice. This is kind of a trick that I use. The answer Choice needs to have those words in it to bridge the gap like 80% of the time.

B & C have that in the answer do not tell me expand or die. Rather, that he could find other outlets for his fasteners.

D strengthens the argument that he needs to expand or die, because those he is selling too are withering on the vine.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Hi,

Why is E wrong? Isn't it strengthening the belief that the managers have experience in other segments and if Buddy's enter into that segment, managers can drive the business easily and hence buddy's can survive..?
Can you please help me understand where I falter in my understanding?

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you! Please give me a kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 112

SC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1294 [0], given: 913

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 07:02
Question Type: Strengthen

Situation: Buddy is in danger of going out of business because many of its clients have closed down.
Assumption: The situation is grave.

a. Most of the fasteners that Buddy's carries in inventory are not specialized and can be used in a wide variety of industries. - Incorrect. Oppsite. This option tells us that the situation is not grave. Buddy's fasteners can be used in a variety of industries, so it is unlikely to go out of business.

b. Historically, period with a lot of closures of workshops and manufacturing firms have generally been followed by periods with many startups of such firms. - Incorrect. Opposite. No threat to Buddy.

c. Even with the recent closures , there are more workshops and manufacturing firms operating in the region now than there were when Buddy's Bolt Barn first opened. - Incorrect. Opposite. No threat to Buddy.

d. The workshops and manufacturing firms in the region that have remained in business have all laid of workers because of shortage of orders. - Correct. The situation of remaining clients of Buddy is tense, so Buddy has to find new clients to keep its business.

e. Some of Buddy's managers have prior retail experience in other market segments. - Incorrect. Irrelevant.

Answer: D

Kudos [?]: 1294 [0], given: 913

Board of Directors
V

Kudos [?]: 1071 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 06:29
Alok322 wrote:
Hi,

Why is E wrong? Isn't it strengthening the belief that the managers have experience in other segments and if Buddy's enter into that segment, managers can drive the business easily and hence buddy's can survive..?
Can you please help me understand where I falter in my understanding?

No, you have not understood the conclusion correctly.

It is saying unless you look for 2nd option, you are going to be penny less.

E is saying they have experience of working outside. But that doesn't mean they will actually work outside.

D clearly states that the leftover ones are not going to give them the required business. So, they are going to be at great loss. Hence, they should do something else.

I hope that makes sense. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Kudos [?]: 1071 [0], given: 74

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 06:56
The workshops and manufacturing firms in the region that have remained in business have all laid of workers because of shortage of orders.
Since the workshops have already laid workers because of shortage of orders .So there may be headwinds coming into this business segment that will affect the business of the Bolt barn company down the line.

Answer is D

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 11

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 76

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 21:22
Expert, I got this question correct but please clear my understanding of this argument, if it is wrong.

Premises -
1. BB's business provides input to manufacturing firms in region.

2. Manufacturing firms in region are closing.

Conclusion -
1. If BB does not expand the market base it is likely to close.

To strengthen this conclusion, we need to strengthen the premise-premise relationship or premise-conclusion relationship.

Option D - Actually strengthens premise-premise relationship by saying the business remained are also going to close down soon, implying to strengthen the conclusion.

Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 76

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 08:09
For several years Buddy's Bolt Barn has specialized in supplying fasteners - nuts , bolts, screws - to workshops and manufacturing firms in the region . Buddy's in fact now supplies virtually all of the fasteners that this segment of the region's industry uses . Recently , however , many of the region's workshops and manufacturing firms have closed down .Therefore , unless Buddy's can expand into a new market segment , it too is likely to go out of business.

Which of the following , if true , most strengthens the argument ?

a. Most of the fasteners that Buddy's carries in inventory are not specialized and can be used in a wide variety of industries .
Strengthens but not the argument but the idea that budy will be able to move to other segment.

b. Historically , period with a lot of closures of workshops and manufacturing firms have generally been followed by periods with many startups of such firms.
Out of scope.

c. Even with the recent closures , there are more workshops and manufacturing firms operating in the region now than there were when Buddy's Bolt Barn first opened.
More workshops and manufaturing firms does not mean direct competition to buddies business.

d. The workshops and manufacturing firms in the region that have remained in business have all laid of workers because of shortage of orders.
Correct answer.

e. Some of Buddy's managers have prior retail experience in other market segments.
Not stregthening the argument.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 18

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 240

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 01:20
For several years Buddy's Bolt Barn has specialized in supplying fasteners - nuts, bolts, screws - to workshops and manufacturing firms in the region. Buddy's in fact now supplies virtually all of the fasteners that this segment of the region's industry uses. Recently, however, many of the region's workshops and manufacturing firms have closed down .Therefore, unless Buddy's can expand into a new market segment, it too is likely to go out of business.

Which of the following, if true , most strengthens the argument?

a. Most of the fasteners that Buddy's carries in inventory are not specialized and can be used in a wide variety of industries.
--> seems to weaken.

b. Historically, period with a lot of closures of workshops and manufacturing firms have generally been followed by periods with many startups of such firms.
--> irrelevant.

--> irrelevant or seems to weaken.

--> correct.

--> irrelevant.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 240

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 07:59
why is tagged as 700 lvl difficulty? wouldn't this kind of question be among the easiest?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 2406

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 18:19
mikecal wrote:
why is tagged as 700 lvl difficulty? wouldn't this kind of question be among the easiest?

this question looks easy b/c all 4 option choices are weakeners.
The difficulty in this question is that the concept in D may not be fully understood by test takers.

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 2406

Re: For several years Buddy's Bolt Barn   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2017, 18:19

For several years Buddy's Bolt Barn

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap