GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 12:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For similar trucks and drivers, truck insurance for collision damage

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
For similar trucks and drivers, truck insurance for collision damage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 02:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:31) correct 33% (01:32) wrong based on 204 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For similar trucks and drivers, truck insurance for collision damage has always cost more in Greenville than in Atlanta. Studies, however, show that trucks owned by Greenville companies are, on average, slightly less likely to be involved in a collision than trucks in Atlanta. Clearly, therefore, insurance companies are making a greater profit on collision-damage insurance in Greenville than in Atlanta.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A.The insurance companies were already aware of the difference in the likelihood of collisions before the publication of the reports.
B Drivers from Greenville who have been in a collision are more likely to report it to their insurance company than Drivers from Atlanta are.
C Repairing typical collision damage does not cost more in Greenville than in Atlanta.
D Atlanta and Greenville are the cities with the highest collision-damage insurance rates.
E There are no more trucks in Greenville than in Atlanta.

Source:Crackverbal

Please give kudos if you like my post.Thanks

Director
Director
G
Re: For similar trucks and drivers, truck insurance for collision damage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 08:29
Conclusion of argument-insurance companies are making a greater profit on collision-damage insurance in Greenville than in Atlanta

For greater profit
damage cost<insurance cost

Insurance cost is higher in Greenville
So damage cost must be same in order to earn greater profit

C states exactly that

Give kudos if it helps

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: For similar trucks and drivers, truck insurance for collision damage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 06:56
I don't understand how C is correct. I found B more appropriate.

Pls help !!

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 07:21
B makes you think and distracts you. Ask yourself, for the conclusion to stand, does B really NEED to be true? Meaning, when we say Greenville insurance companies are making more profit than the ones in Atlanta, does this argument depend on the fact that Greenville drivers are more likely to report accidents to the insurance companies? No.

If they are more likely, say 7 out of 10 will report an accident vs. Atlanta's, say, 3 out of 10. But there could be a case where Greenville had 1000000 accidents and Atlanta only had 10. In such a case, insurance companies in Atlanta would not spend much money doing damage repairs and they SHOULD be more profitable than Greenville (by this explanation), but this is not the case we're given.

C states that the cost of repairs are, on average, cheaper in Atlanta for similar trucks and drivers

Sent from my Pixel using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
For similar trucks and drivers, truck insurance for collision damage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 09:19
SonalSinha803 wrote:
I don't understand how C is correct. I found B more appropriate.

Pls help !!

The stimulus talks about something like lets say
Attachment:
INSURANCE DATA.PNG
INSURANCE DATA.PNG [ 2.99 KiB | Viewed 583 times ]

And then jumps to the conclusion

Quote:
insurance companies are making a greater profit on collision-damage insurance in Greenville than in Atlanta.

But how ????

What is the role of an Insurance company and how do they generate profit -

Profit of an Insurance Company = Premium Collection - Settlement of Claims ( Damage repair in this case)

Now think , if the repairing charges for collusion insurance is more in Greenville than in Atlanta, can they still earn greater profit on collision-damage insurance in Greenville than in Atlanta ????

Hope this helps a bit !!! :grin:

PS : Please revert in case of any further doubt ...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 10:45
sidvarma and Abhishek009,

Thanks for your explanations. It is pretty clear to me now.

Regards !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 09:16
Known information:
1.Insurance cost more in Greenville than in Atlanta.
2.Number of collisions is lesser in greenville than in atlanta

Analysis:
There is 2 way the insurance companies can make profit.
1. The number of collisions are less
2. The repair cost is less

The first option is already given in question. So we need to look for answer choice that gives info about second one.

Clearly option C states the same as our analysis.

Option C is the answer

——————————————
Please give kudos if it helps

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

For similar trucks and drivers, truck insurance for collision damage &nbs [#permalink] 17 May 2018, 09:16

For similar trucks and drivers, truck insurance for collision damage

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap