Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [9]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [8]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

In all options, we have subject (Holstein cows/Holstein cow...) after comma. It indicates that we have a modifier, subject....construction

In A, modifier(providing .....and milking....) refers to somebody who is providing feed and milking regularly. This modifier does not refer to the cows. Eliminate

B and C are eliminated for the same reason

In D and E, modifier(provided feed ....and milked regularly.....) correctly refers to the cows.

Split between D and E is Holstein cow(single) and Holstein cows(plural)

The sentence ( the farmer who takes care to keep them cool) is talking about cows(them)

D is eliminated

So, E is correct
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20719 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with [#permalink]
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

(A) providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
(B) providing them with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, Holstein cow produces
(C) provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
(D) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cow produces
(E) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

Could you help to explain why (A) is incorrect?

Present Progressive tense ("are producing") shows what is happening NOW. It is sometimes used interchangeably with the simple present tense, but present progressive indicates a continuation of the action or event.

How could (E) simple future ("will produce") be correct?

The simples form of future tense ("will produce") shows what will or what may happen at some point in the future.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
hazelnut wrote:

(A) providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
(B) providing them with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, Holstein cow produces
(C) provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
(D) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cow produces
(E) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

Could you help to explain why (A) is incorrect?

Present Progressive tense ("are producing") shows what is happening NOW. It is sometimes used interchangeably with the simple present tense, but present progressive indicates a continuation of the action or event.

How could (E) simple future ("will produce") be correct?

The simples form of future tense ("will produce") shows what will or what may happen at some point in the future.

A is wrong because of wrong usage of the present participle "providing". A present participle modifier such as this one refers to the subject of the adjacent clause. However here "farmer" is NOT the subject, but the object of preposition ("For the farmer"). In option A , "providing" wrongly refers to "Holstein cow".

The use of "will" is alright with conditional structure to depict a future event with no uncertainty.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly': The comma before the 'and milking' confirms that it is a list of three items. If providing and milking were the only two items in a list, then the comma would not have been used, The use of the participles 'providing and milking' is not in consonance with the relative clause 'who takes care'. Add to this the typically Asian way of equating a present tense activity with a progress tense, you have solid reason for dumping A and B
Among C, D, and E, we can drop C and D for the same reasons. E remains
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
What I don't understand in the question is how "cool",which is an adjective,go parallel with past participle such as provided and milked.Please help
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
techiesam wrote:
What I don't understand in the question is how "cool",which is an adjective,go parallel with past participle such as provided and milked.Please help

Hello techiesam,

I would be glad to help you with your query. :)

Any word that modifies/describes a noun is called an adjective. Hence, cool is an adjective.

Since the verb-ed modifiers (past participle form) and the verb-ing modifiers (present participle form) also modify noun entities, they also function as adjectives.

This is the reason that cool is parallel to provided and milked.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor

This is a core exercise on modification and pronoun reference. The first interpretation is that provided with comfort and milked are referring to the cows rather than to the farmers, as we would hurry up to think

A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing -- providing and milking refer to cows. This is wrong modification and meaning.

B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces --1 pronoun- subject number error. 2. providing them refer to the cows --wrong modification as in A.
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing -- milking them refers to the cows --wrong modification
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces -- the singular cow does not tally with the plural 'them' in the non-underlined part.
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce -- correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
esledge wrote:
We continued this discussion via private message, but here's a summary for the benefit of others.

GMATMadeeasy wrote:
Thanks for wonderful break up , it gives me more insight on this.

The source of the notes is one of these discussion forums' notes and the right answer is E in fact . But I do not get it fully, why this is the answer?

I believe, the given sentence being a general statement, "are producing" progressive tense won't make sense , so E is correct.
I agree, the generality of this statement is key. By using the future tense, (E) makes a prediction or statement of expectations.

GMATMadeeasy wrote:
In that case, I would like to ask parallelism of A is correct or incorrect if we ignore tense issue ?
I think the parallelism of (A) is still incorrect, and punctuation has something to do with it. Here's (A), with color-coding of what might be parallel:

Note that "producing" cannot be parallel to the other -ing words!! "Providing" and "milking" act as modifiers, whereas "are producing" is a tensed verb. Also, if "producing" were in our list of three things, the "and" would be in front of the third item, not the second.

There's no -ing word before the first comma to parallel "providing" and "milking," so this is just a list of two things and there's no reason to have a comma in front of "and milking" at all.

Finally, even if we took the comma out, it doesn't make sense for "providing" and "milking" to be used as adverbial modifiers of "takes care to keep them cool." Providing food and milking them aren't ways to keep cows cool, unless there's something important about cow tending that I am unaware of (quite likely!). The structure of (A) could be OK, if we solved both the comma problem and the meaning problem:

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with adequate water and air-conditioning their shelters in the summer, Holstein cows are producing (better, as discussed above: will produce) an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

you have mentioned that future tense is used to make prediction, but we have a definite figure of 2275 gallons here. IMO the figure tells us that we already have the stats and we should use present tense. Yes, no other option does it correctly and E is the most clear option. I still wanted to understand. Pl explain.
Thanks in advance.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
duttarupam2344 wrote:
you have mentioned that future tense is used to make prediction, but we have a definite figure of 2275 gallons here. IMO the figure tells us that we already have the stats and we should use present tense. Yes, no other option does it correctly and E is the most clear option. I still wanted to understand. Pl explain.
Thanks in advance.

Hello duttarupam2344,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

The sentence does mention an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year. But it is not so that every cow will give this amount of milk. The sentence has an inherent sense of predictions.

Those cows who kept in certain conditions are expected to give this amount of milk. There is no certainty that they will do so for sure.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
generis

If you could shed some light on this very official question. I am oscillating in between A and E. Please help.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [6]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos