GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Foster Vs Emory

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.31
Reviews Badge
Foster Vs Emory  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 13:24
Hi all,

I have been admitted to both Foster and Emory Goizueta with nearly 75% scholarship. I'm an Indian Male (engineering graduate) with six years of work exp in Sales. I do not have any experience in the tech industry since I worked with the Manufacturing and Financials services industry only in my working life.

After speaking with several students and alums from both schools, I realized that Emory is heavily dependant on Consulting companies, which are being cautious since this year and so the internship stats have taken a hit this year. Foster although has no negative impact, its placement stats have been 50% for Indians so far. I have been told that the placements will pick up at Foster from now on as tech recruitment happens a bit late. Emory has nearly 75% people placed (most of whom are in consulting, which is not recruiting internationals this year). So both the schools have sub-par stats so far. ( which may improve three months after graduation)

I am super confused about which school to attend.

1. Can I take foster and switch to the tech industry? I'm a bit worried about that... since I have 0 experience in the tech industry, how open are companies to take a fresher like me? (I don't have a specific preference in the tech industry)

or

2. Should I take Emory and risk going to consulting companies, which are not recruiting Indians much currently.

Considering my main priority is getting a job, which school should I opt for? Request people to help!!!!!! Need some urgent guidance.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Foster Vs Emory  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 13:37
Where did you get the information about Consulting not hiring internationals? From what Indian candidates in the States have told me, consulting is still fully open to internationals.

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Foster Vs Emory  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 22:59
Tagging abhimahna who is a current student at Emory for his inputs.
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 3: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.25
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 23:23
If you want to do Tech Foster is the clear choice here imo. You'll be able to develop relationships with a plethora of tech companies including the big names like Microsoft/Amazon. Almost every top program will fly out to Seattle for career treks. You'll have a 20-30 minute bus ride from Foster to these companies. UW's CSE program is top 10 which helps to build the Unis overall relationship with these firms. I went to UW for my undergrad and have tons of friends at companies like Nike, T-Mobile, Qualtrics, Microsoft, Amazon, Tableau and Starbucks.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 04:01
Hey naveen720 ,

Here are my two cents(actually more :p) :

1. Since you have NO experience in tech industry, it doesn't mean you can't move to the same. Tech Industry also has "non-tech" roles that you can apply for.
2. It may happen that you may need to make your concentration in Product Management/tech focussed.
3. One of the reasons people do MBA is to transition their career path. You can also do so wherever you will be. So, it doesn't really matter at all.
4. For an Indian student, I would say Foster may have more options for tech industry but Emory has also been improving in the recent few years.
5. One of the advantages of going to Emory would be that Emory may open other options for you better than Foster (in case tech doesn't work out)
6. So far, except 2 Indians, everyone has been placed. I am placed for a Product Manager role for a tech industry.
7. If you are coming only with the aim to get a job, don't come. There will be lots of points when you may get into depression state. I would say enjoy every moment of MBA life and work hard enough to land where you want.

I hope this helps. If you are still confused, shoot me a PM and I am happy to help. :)

Good luck!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
GMAT Club Bot
Foster Vs Emory   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2019, 04:01

Foster Vs Emory

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap