GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 18:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

From 640 (GMAT) to a 330 (GRE)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: IMD '21 (S)
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 2.25
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
From 640 (GMAT) to a 330 (GRE)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 23:34
Dear Fellow GMAT Club member:

This is a bit off topic but I really wanted to post this here to talk about my journey and how I overcame the whole B-School Test thing.

So last September I gave my GMAT and scored a 640 (Q48, V28). I was not at all happy with the score. I had studied for nearly 6 months and pretty much exhausted all available OG resources. My mock scores ranged between 680-770 and 640 was a bummer.

After the test, I wasn't sure how to approach the GMAT now and retake it. So I took a break for a month and then started making a plan as to where to start from. An idea crossed my mind that maybe I should take the GRE. I got hands on one of the official mock and gave it. Ended up getting a 167/170 on quant and 150/170 on the verbal. This is equivalent to 650. When I reviewed the exam I realized that I was only struggling with vocabulary. In GMAT also the issue I was facing was with SC and was pretty good with CR and RC. I realized that since I have been doing a lot of rot learning in school, cramming 1500 vocab words woudn't be a problem and then using it with logic is something I can definitely do . Plus my Quant concepts were already strong, so all I had to focus on was understanding quant pattern on GRE.

Long story short, after 14 mocks, 2 months of prep, I scored a 330 (170/170 Q 160/170 V) which is equivalent to 750 on GMAT and a happy man I was :)

I wanted to share this story because throughout this journey I learned the following:

- It is okay to re-start

- Focus on your strengths: So i read a lot of articles on GRE vs GMAT Debate. One of the article mentioned that, you should take exam with which you feel more comfortable in regards to test pattern and content. Though cramming is something not everyone can do, it was my strength and I used it to my advantage. Similarly I was more comfortable with geometry and arithmetic compared to combinatorics and I felt that GRE tests more of the former.

- Don't give up: my journey of prep for GRE wasn't an easy one either, I gave 14 mocks, went through all official material, solved lot of questions. But you got to push it.

- GRE/GMAT is just the beginning: The grind doesn't stop, you keep pushing.

If anyone would like to get more information on prep material for GRE, I do be happy to answer in the thread.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: From 640 (GMAT) to a 330 (GRE)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 01:52
Hey bro congratulations on the achievement. Is GRE score as good for applying for MBA programs? What free mocks can you suggest for start? I am in the same GMAT 640 boat...if possible can you share you PM on 9949106098 want to get some opinions about GRE.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: IMD '21 (S)
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 2.25
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 02:13
Hey,

There are two free mock exams on ETS website.

You can WhatsApp me. I will DM you my number.

https://poetsandquants.com/2019/03/17/a ... chool-news

This is a good article to give you idea about the acceptance of GRE.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 02:18
Thanks bro. Please ping me on WhatsApp will take it forward from there on.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: From 640 (GMAT) to a 330 (GRE)   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2019, 02:18

From 640 (GMAT) to a 330 (GRE)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics