GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 09:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 508
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Nov 2013, 20:23
6
15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:00) correct 60% (02:09) wrong based on 1250 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statistics of major electronics manufacturers with sales in the United States show that 80% of consumer electronics (such as televisions, DVD players, and computers) sold in the U.S. last year were manufactured in China.

From an article in Consumer Results Magazine: The results from last year's survey on consumer electronics choices show that while products made in China are still very popular, more and more Americans are buying products made in Japan, Germany, and the United States. These three countries combined account for 38% of products sold in the U.S. last year.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere.

(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world.

(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.

(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.

(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.

Source: GMAT Hacks - 020513
OE to follow ...

Originally posted by avohden on 04 Oct 2013, 10:38.
Last edited by avohden on 07 Nov 2013, 20:23, edited 4 times in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Posts: 11
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 15:44
7
1
- Major electronics manufacturers selling in the US - China (80%) + Others (20%)
- Total electronics sold in the US - China (62%) + Others (38%)

If we analyze the above two equations, it is easy to see that 'Others' increased from 20% to 38% when we moved from 'Major Electronics Manufacturers' (which are expected to account for a higher share in the market) to 'Total' market. This shows that smaller manufacturers should be heavily focusing on other destinations, such as Japan, Germany...to make this happen mathematically. (Option E)

Let me know if you need more explanation.

Thanks,
J.I.T
(give kudos if you think i deserve some)
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 79
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2013, 12:45
4
avohden wrote:
From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statistics of major
electronics manufacturers with sales in the United States show that
80% of consumer electronics (such as televisions, DVD players, and
computers) sold in the U.S. last year were manufactured in China.

From an article in Consumer Results Magazine: The results from last
year's survey on consumer electronics choices show that while products
made in China are still very popular, more and more Americans are
buying products made in Japan, Germany, and the United States.
These three countries combined account for 38% of products sold
in the U.S. last year.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer
goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere.
(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants
to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among
plants around the world.
(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not
manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.
(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics
device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.
(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of
Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.

Source: GMAT Hacks - 020513
OE to follow ...


Ok, this took a while!

Wall Street claim: 80% electronics sold in the US--> manufactured in China-----> 80% sales
Magazine survey: Yes, but more americans are buying from Japan, Germany, and the United States---> 38% of sales

A - While this is true, but the magazine survey says that more americans also prefer goods from Japan, Germany and US. Not true
B- production plants tell me nothing about sales. I can have a million production plants and still sell nothing
C- First claim says that 80% of sales were items manufactured in china. Not true
D- Tricky. You would think that since the average price is less for chinese manufactured product sales would be higher and this would be true. But none of the statements in the above claims say that people will buy even if the price is low. We cant infer this. Not true
E - Now if major manufacturers sell a higher % of chinese manufactured products (80%), than smaller manufacturers (small because Japan, US and Germany together count for only 38%). This is it

I tried!
_________________

Kudos if I helped :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2012
Posts: 274
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 00:47
Yea!!! Got it right!!! Wasn't all that difficult or maybe the categorization made me read the question really carefully.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jul 2009
Posts: 136
WE: Design (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 01:59
1
IMO E using POE...
(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere....we dont know this, no info related to this is mentioned in argument
(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world.....Irrelevant we are not concerned if different stages are manufactured in different countries we are just concerned about the final product and consumer here....
(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.we dont know this for sure as passage mentiones 38 % of Consumer electronice in Japan, Germany, and the United States
(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.the argument doesnot mention anything regarding the price of products....so irrelevant
(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.this is Ok as passage mentions 80% goods manufactured in china and 38 % in other countries mentioned...so we can consider this to be true.
_________________

Kaustubh

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2013
Posts: 8
GMAT Date: 12-08-2014
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 08:41
3
Claim 1: Products manufactured in China accounts for 80% of sales in US in last year. Survey point: Sales statistics of major electronics manufacturers
Claim 2: Products manufactured in Japan + Germany + United States accounts for 38% of sales in US in last year. Survey point: Survey on consumer electronics choices.
We should find a statement which makes these two claims true. Do not try to think too much about percentages coming together to 100%. Surveys are from different sources.
(E) Exactly shows the same difference between "major electronics manufacturers" and All others. Answer: E
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3446
From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 07:05
2
1
From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statistics of major electronics manufacturers with sales in the United States show that 80% of consumer electronics (such as televisions, DVD players, and computers) sold in the U.S. last year were manufactured in China.

From an article in Consumer Results Magazine: The results from last year's survey on consumer electronics choices show that while products made in China are still very popular, more and more Americans are buying products made in Japan, Germany, and the United States. These three countries combined account for 38% of products sold in the U.S. last year.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere.
(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world.
(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.
(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.
(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 07:40
Here we need to find an answer choice which makes both findings correct. i.e
1) ...80% of consumer electronics were manufactured in China.
2)...38% of products were made in Japan, Germany and US.

By simple thinking both can occur only in the scenario when there is some overlap. I mean some part of product of is getting manufactured in other country rather than native country.

On the same line we need to look for an similar answer choice.

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere.
This answer choice is of no use because it is talking about who do not purchase consumer electronics.--Out

(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world.
Hold on, this is on similar line of our thinking. HOLD ON

(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.
This is of no use because it is comparing China and U.S manufactured products instead of China and (Japan, Germany, and the United States). --Out

(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.
Price is not here in discussion for comparison. --Out

(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.
Major/Minor Manufacture's sale is not here in discussion for comparison.--Out

We left with answer choice option B and I feel answer choice B is correct one.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3446
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 08:30
1904praveen wrote:
Here we need to find an answer choice which makes both findings correct. i.e
1) ...80% of consumer electronics were manufactured in China.
2)...38% of products were made in Japan, Germany and US.

By simple thinking both can occur only in the scenario when there is some overlap. I mean some part of product of is getting manufactured in other country rather than native country.

On the same line we need to look for an similar answer choice.

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere.
This answer choice is of no use because it is talking about who do not purchase consumer electronics.--Out

(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world.
Hold on, this is on similar line of our thinking. HOLD ON

(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.
This is of no use because it is comparing China and U.S manufactured products instead of China and (Japan, Germany, and the United States). --Out

(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.
Price is not here in discussion for comparison. --Out

(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.
Major/Minor Manufacture's sale is not here in discussion for comparison.--Out

We left with answer choice option B and I feel answer choice B is correct one.


what do you feel maybe is not the correct answer (almost never)

In the stimulus nothing is said about different strategies or different plants in different coutries hold by a company
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jan 2014, 20:16
3
1
AS IT TURNED OUT......THIS IS ACTUALLY A QUESTION OF WEIGHTED AVERAGE.............

Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statistics of major electronics manufacturers with sales in the United States show that 80% of consumer electronics (such as televisions, DVD players, and computers) sold in the U.S. last year were manufactured in China.

Consumer Results Magazine: The results from last year's survey on consumer electronics choices show that while products made in China are still very popular, more and more Americans are buying products made in Japan, Germany, and the United States. These three countries combined account for 38% of products sold in the U.S. last year.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere... no data available about those who do not buy consumer electronics... hence .. INCORRECT...
(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world....the stimulus talks about sale in other parts of the world, not production ... hence .. INCORRECT .
(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States...NOT implied... it could have been manufactured in Japan, Germany.... or else where... INCORRECT.
(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere....THIS MAY BE GENERAL KNOWLEDGE BUT NOT IMPLIED HERE...INCORRECT
(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers....CORRECT... AS PER law of averages...since among major electronics manufacturers, 80% devices sold are chinese and taking overall statistics- maximum (100-38)= 62% could be chinese( as balance are Japan, Germany, and the United States make) ....hence by weighted average.... less than 62% chinese products sold by smaller manufacturers.....hence CORRECT ...


kudos, if you please..........

Originally posted by semwal on 13 Jan 2014, 10:39.
Last edited by semwal on 13 Jan 2014, 20:16, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 218
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 14:43
3
carcass wrote:
From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statistics of major electronics manufacturers with sales in the United States show that 80% of consumer electronics (such as televisions, DVD players, and computers) sold in the U.S. last year were manufactured in China.

From an article in Consumer Results Magazine: The results from last year's survey on consumer electronics choices show that while products made in China are still very popular, more and more Americans are buying products made in Japan, Germany, and the United States. These three countries combined account for 38% of products sold in the U.S. last year.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere.
(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world.
(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.
(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.
(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.


Tricky part here is that:

1st) Sales statistics of major electronics manufacturers

2nd) products sold in the U.S. last year

Therefore, it is not the same panel measured.

Answer is E.
_________________

Think outside the box

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2013
Posts: 52
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2014, 09:48
carcass wrote:
1904praveen wrote:
Here we need to find an answer choice which makes both findings correct. i.e
1) ...80% of consumer electronics were manufactured in China.
2)...38% of products were made in Japan, Germany and US.

By simple thinking both can occur only in the scenario when there is some overlap. I mean some part of product of is getting manufactured in other country rather than native country.

On the same line we need to look for an similar answer choice.

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere.
This answer choice is of no use because it is talking about who do not purchase consumer electronics.--Out

(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world.
Hold on, this is on similar line of our thinking. HOLD ON

(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.
This is of no use because it is comparing China and U.S manufactured products instead of China and (Japan, Germany, and the United States). --Out

(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.
Price is not here in discussion for comparison. --Out

(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.
Major/Minor Manufacture's sale is not here in discussion for comparison.--Out

We left with answer choice option B and I feel answer choice B is correct one.


what do you feel maybe is not the correct answer (almost never)

In the stimulus nothing is said about different strategies or different plants in different coutries hold by a company




what are the OA and OE carcass ???
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 95
GMAT ToolKit User
From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statisti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 10:27
missed this detail and got it wrong.
+1 KUDOS for
Paris75 wrote:
carcass wrote:
From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statistics of major electronics manufacturers with sales in the United States show that 80% of consumer electronics (such as televisions, DVD players, and computers) sold in the U.S. last year were manufactured in China.

From an article in Consumer Results Magazine: The results from last year's survey on consumer electronics choices show that while products made in China are still very popular, more and more Americans are buying products made in Japan, Germany, and the United States. These three countries combined account for 38% of products sold in the U.S. last year.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere.
(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world.
(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.
(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.
(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.


Tricky part here is that:

1st) Sales statistics of major electronics manufacturers

2nd) products sold in the U.S. last year

Therefore, it is not the same panel measured.

Answer is E.



+1 KUDOS for question

Please post OE
_________________

Important fact --> http://i.imgur.com/CKKBmmn.jpg

NUS Thread Master
User avatar
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
Joined: 14 Jul 2013
Posts: 93
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 06:14
avohden wrote:
From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statistics of major electronics manufacturers with sales in the United States show that 80% of consumer electronics (such as televisions, DVD players, and computers) sold in the U.S. last year were manufactured in China.

From an article in Consumer Results Magazine: The results from last year's survey on consumer electronics choices show that while products made in China are still very popular, more and more Americans are buying products made in Japan, Germany, and the United States. These three countries combined account for 38% of products sold in the U.S. last year.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere.

(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world.

(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.

(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.

(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.

Source: GMAT Hacks - 020513
OE to follow ...


E it is , the only reason why Chinese electronic products are so famous.
_________________

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2014
Posts: 97
Concentration: Marketing
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2014, 22:15
avohden wrote:
From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statistics of major electronics manufacturers with sales in the United States show that 80% of consumer electronics (such as televisions, DVD players, and computers) sold in the U.S. last year were manufactured in China.

From an article in Consumer Results Magazine: The results from last year's survey on consumer electronics choices show that while products made in China are still very popular, more and more Americans are buying products made in Japan, Germany, and the United States. These three countries combined account for 38% of products sold in the U.S. last year.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere.

(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world.

(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.

(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.

(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.

Source: GMAT Hacks - 020513
OE to follow ...


I feel kind of dumb. I still don't get why E is the answer. When the stimulus asks "For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?" is it asking for an answer choice that is true for both articles?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2014
Posts: 97
Concentration: Marketing
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2015, 13:48
jitendra31 wrote:
- Major electronics manufacturers selling in the US - China (80%) + Others (20%)
- Total electronics sold in the US - China (62%) + Others (38%)

If we analyze the above two equations, it is easy to see that 'Others' increased from 20% to 38% when we moved from 'Major Electronics Manufacturers' (which are expected to account for a higher share in the market) to 'Total' market. This shows that smaller manufacturers should be heavily focusing on other destinations, such as Japan, Germany...to make this happen mathematically. (Option E)

Let me know if you need more explanation.

Thanks,
J.I.T
(give kudos if you think i deserve some)


Makes great sense. I did not differentiate the major electronics manufacturers from the total market. Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Apr 2013
Posts: 290
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Schools: Simon '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 02:40
avohden wrote:
From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: Sales statistics of major electronics manufacturers with sales in the United States show that 80% of consumer electronics (such as televisions, DVD players, and computers) sold in the U.S. last year were manufactured in China.

From an article in Consumer Results Magazine: The results from last year's survey on consumer electronics choices show that while products made in China are still very popular, more and more Americans are buying products made in Japan, Germany, and the United States. These three countries combined account for 38% of products sold in the U.S. last year.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More Americans who do not purchase consumer electronics prefer goods produced in China to those produced elsewhere.

(B) Major electronics manufacturers do not limit their production plants to one country, often dividing different stages of manufacturing among plants around the world.

(C) Most consumer electronics purchased last year that were not manufactured in China were manufactured and sold in the United States.

(D) The average price of a Chinese-manufactured consumer electronics device is lower than that of a device manufactured elsewhere.

(E) Major electronics manufacturers sell a higher percentage of Chinese-produced consumer devices than do smaller manufacturers.

Source: GMAT Hacks - 020513
OE to follow ...


If read carefully, it's not that difficult to arrive at the correct answer.
+1 for E.

Bumping this for further discussion and more attempts.

This is one question that I think is very well written according to the standards. Great work by Gmathacks.
_________________

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 631
Premium Member
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 08:24
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 235
Location: United States
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 17:56
The reason B is so compelling is because there is no clear distinction between the timing of these articles. If both articles were published the same year then there is some anomaly. For me it felt like either the articles were untrue or some part of the 38% purported to be made in Japan, Germany and US were intact being made in China and were part of the 80%.
_________________

Kudosity killed the cat but your kudos can save it.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 02:03
the only options that explains that % of goods sold in U.S that were manufactured by China and other countries(Japan, Germany and U.S) was 80% and 38% (totals more than 100%) is the option B
I am unable to understand y E is correct
Re: From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ... &nbs [#permalink] 08 Oct 2017, 02:03

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

From an article in the Wall Street Chronicle: ...

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.