Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: From GMATPrep Mock 600 to 700 in a span of 2 days! WHAT IS HAPPENING? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi COVID19butGMAT20,

Statistically-speaking, this recent CAT result includes a Verbal Scaled Score that is a huge 'outlier' relative to your other Verbal performances. If you can point to specific study/practice/training that you've done to justify how that result is an accurate reflection of your current skills, then it might be that you're actually performing at that 'level' right now. However, you seem so surprised by that result that we have to consider other reasons for why you scored so much higher (for example, had you seen any of those Verbal questions before? Did you do anything unrealistic during that CAT - such as pause the Exam? How often did you 'narrow the answers down to 2 choices and then "guess lucky"? etc.).

What is your actual Goal Score? I ask because if we ignore that 700 for a moment - and you're not particularly close to your Goal Score - then you might want to consider rescheduling your Official GMAT (so that you can put some additional study time in and continue to improve).

It's also worth noting that the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. Taking a CAT on Wednesday (just 3 days before your planned Official Test Date) could tire you out too much and keep you from performing up to your best on your Official GMAT, so I would not recommend taking that last CAT at that time.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: From GMATPrep Mock 600 to 700 in a span of 2 days! WHAT IS HAPPENING? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi COVID19butGMAT20,

Looking at your practice test scores, it's pretty clear that in most cases verbal is really holding you back. That said, I really would not want you to make any major prep adjustments in the final week prior to your GMAT. So, at this point, I think you continue to follow your plan. If for any reason things don't go your way on the GMAT, we can discuss a longer-term strategy. Lastly, here is a helpful article:

GMAT Test Day approaching?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Kudos
I personally feel like the GMATPrep mocks are close, but a little but easier than the real exam. I did mine today and scored about 20-30 points lower than my mocks (mostly in Quants)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Hi all,

I took the official GMAT last week and scored a 640 (V33, Q45)

My Quant score dipped on the actual GMAT and my Verbal RC score was a shocker tbh.

I have not given up however. I'm targeting late December to enhance this score considerably. I am confident that I can try and improve and my spirits are back to normal as I took a one week break to just snooze.

I have attached my ESR for your reference dear experts. Would be grateful if you could all advise me on how I can target a score of 700 in a span of one month. Here are my 2 bits -
Verbal -
1. My RC was at an all time low which is so strange because my accuracy is usually pretty good in RC. Also, whats really strange I almost always got inference questions wrong in RC, but on the real GMAT, I seemed to have done a lot better on inference questions than states ones.
2. I had really gone all guns blazing on SC in the last one month of my prep and I think that shows in my SC accuracy.
3. The CR accuracy isn't alarming to me as I knew it was probably my weakest area.

Quant -
1. Again, what was really surprising to see was that I had 100% accuracy in Geometry and Algebra and decent accuracy in Sets, where as my accuracy was very weak in Arithmetic and percents. This was the exact opposite of what I had been noticing from my mocks and error log.

All in all, I think my last push to improve in areas such as SC, Geometry and algebra did show in the actual GMAT but I may have lost the game by losing focus of the areas that were my strength initially in my prep work.

Looking forward to your insights dear experts and I hope I can turn this around in my next attempt. I really don't want to change my name to COVID19butGMAT21 hahaha.

Thank you for your support
EducationAisle
EMPOWERgmatRichC (I took your advise and didn't take another mock and I really felt fresh and charged up on the actual GMAT. Infact, it was probably the least stressed I had been.)
ScottTargetTestPrep
Attachments

16Nov_ESR.pdf [534.06 KiB]
Downloaded 61 times

Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
COVID19butGMAT20 wrote:
Hi all,

My Quant score dipped on the actual GMAT and my Verbal RC score was a shocker tbh.

I have not given up however. I'm targeting late December to enhance this score considerably. I am confident that I can try and improve and my spirits are back to normal as I took a one week break to just snooze.

I have attached my ESR for your reference dear experts. Would be grateful if you could all advise me on how I can target a score of 700 in a span of one month. Here are my 2 bits -
Verbal -
1. My RC was at an all time low which is so strange because my accuracy is usually pretty good in RC. Also, whats really strange I almost always got inference questions wrong in RC, but on the real GMAT, I seemed to have done a lot better on inference questions than states ones.
2. I had really gone all guns blazing on SC in the last one month of my prep and I think that shows in my SC accuracy.
3. The CR accuracy isn't alarming to me as I knew it was probably my weakest area.

Quant -
1. Again, what was really surprising to see was that I had 100% accuracy in Geometry and Algebra and decent accuracy in Sets, where as my accuracy was very weak in Arithmetic and percents. This was the exact opposite of what I had been noticing from my mocks and error log.

All in all, I think my last push to improve in areas such as SC, Geometry and algebra did show in the actual GMAT but I may have lost the game by losing focus of the areas that were my strength initially in my prep work.

Looking forward to your insights dear experts and I hope I can turn this around in my next attempt. I really don't want to change my name to COVID19butGMAT21 hahaha.

EducationAisle
EMPOWERgmatRichC (I took your advise and didn't take another mock and I really felt fresh and charged up on the actual GMAT. Infact, it was probably the least stressed I had been.)
ScottTargetTestPrep

Hi COVID19butGMAT20,

Regarding verbal, it's clear that RC and CR seem to be major weak areas. Would you like some advice on how to improve your RC and CR skills?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep that would be great! I have been through the Manhattan books for the same, but alas I don't seem to see any remarkable improvement.

I am well averse with the type of questions in CR and the traps that come with them. Unfortunately, with Verbal I have whenever I attempt a full fledged section, I can never truly seem to gauge my performance. It is always a mystery to me how I have done in the different sections. With Quant, it's easy to understand where your answer is correct and where it is incorrect. However with verbal, I always find that while I think an answer is correct, I am always surprised to see another answer.

With RC, I'd like to think the biggest challenge I face is - I am able to understand the passage well, but I fail to still be able to pick the right answer. I either completely forget about the correct answer because it is such a minute detail or I confidently pick one, only to find out that it is incorrect.

Again, I'd like to thank you for taking out the time to help. It is wonderful to have a community such as this and experts such as you all, who tirelessly help students and MBA aspirants on their GMAT journey.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
nhatanh811 wrote:
I personally feel like the GMATPrep mocks are close, but a little but easier than the real exam. I did mine today and scored about 20-30 points lower than my mocks (mostly in Quants)

i felt the same.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi COVID19butGMAT20,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes and questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
From GMATPrep Mock 600 to 700 in a span of 2 days! WHAT IS HAPPENING? [#permalink]
COVID19butGMAT20 wrote:
Hi all,

Verbal -

Quant -

EducationAisle
ScottTargetTestPrep
'''

Hi COVID19butGMAT20,

Great improvement in the verbal score from your mocks to the main gmat exam. Could you share the materials and SC improving strategy that you used in the final one month preparation for SC.My weak area is also SC.
Send PM
Expert Reply
COVID19butGMAT20 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep that would be great! I have been through the Manhattan books for the same, but alas I don't seem to see any remarkable improvement.

I am well averse with the type of questions in CR and the traps that come with them. Unfortunately, with Verbal I have whenever I attempt a full fledged section, I can never truly seem to gauge my performance. It is always a mystery to me how I have done in the different sections. With Quant, it's easy to understand where your answer is correct and where it is incorrect. However with verbal, I always find that while I think an answer is correct, I am always surprised to see another answer.

With RC, I'd like to think the biggest challenge I face is - I am able to understand the passage well, but I fail to still be able to pick the right answer. I either completely forget about the correct answer because it is such a minute detail or I confidently pick one, only to find out that it is incorrect.

Again, I'd like to thank you for taking out the time to help. It is wonderful to have a community such as this and experts such as you all, who tirelessly help students and MBA aspirants on their GMAT journey.

Here is some general advice you can follow to improve your CR and RC skills. I'll start wtih CR.

To improve in Critical Reasoning, you first need to master the individual Critical Reasoning topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn about each question type, do focused practice so you can track your skill in answering each type. If, for example, you get a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

A major mistake that people make when training for CR, and for GMAT verbal in general, is that they do practice questions too fast. To get Critical Reasoning questions correct, you have to see exactly what's going on in the passages and answer choices, and it's likely that you won't learn to do so by spending a few minutes on each question. At this stage of your training, you may need to spend as many as 15 minutes on each question, learning to see what there is to see. Here is a way to look at this process: If you get a new job in a field in which you are not experienced, you may not be as fast as the other people working with you, but you know you have a job to do and you make sure you learn all the angles, so that you do the job well, if not as quickly as those around you. Rushing through the job and doing it incorrectly would not make sense. Then, as you gain more experience, you learn to do the same job more quickly. Think of Critical Reasoning questions similarly. Your job is to do what? To get through questions quickly? Not really. Your job is to get correct answers.

So, first you have to learn to get correct answers, generally at least 10 to 15 in a row consistently, and more in a row would be better. Doing so is your job, and if it takes you fifteen minutes per question to get correct answers consistently, then so be it. Only after you have learned to get correct answers consistently can you work on speeding up. Working quickly but not doing your job is useless. Better to work slowly and learn to do your job well. You can be sure that with experience, you will learn to speed up, and then you will still be doing your job well, i.e., getting correct answers consistently.

Finally, a key aspect of getting correct answers to Critical Reasoning questions is noticing the key differences between trap choices and correct answers. Trap choices can sound temptingly correct but don't get the job done. The logic of what a trap choice says simply doesn't fit what the question is asking you to find. So, to get better at your job, learn to see the key differences between trap choices and correct answers.

To improve in Reading Comprehension, you need to focus on understanding what you are reading. When you incorrectly answer Reading Comprehension questions, it’s partly because you didn’t truly understand what you read, right? Thus, you likely have to slow down in order to (eventually) speed up. At this point, your best bet is to focus on getting the correct answers to questions, taking as much time as you need to see key details and understand the logic of what you are reading. You have to learn to comprehend what you read, keep it all straight, and use what you are reading to arrive at correct answers. If you don't understand something, go back and read it one sentence at a time, even one word at a time, not moving on until you understand what you have just read. There is no way around this work. Your goal should be to take all the time you need to understand exactly what is being said and arrive at the correct answer. If you can learn to get answers taking your time, you can learn to speed up. Answering questions is like any task: The more times you do it carefully and successfully, the faster you become at doing it carefully and successfully.

Another component of understanding what you are reading is being “present” when reading. Don’t worry about how things are going at work, or what you will eat for dinner, or even how long you are taking to read through the passage. Just focus on what is in front of you, word by word, line by line. Furthermore, try to make reading fun. For example, even if you are reading about a topic that bores you, pretend that you are the person making the argument. By doing so, you will make the passage more relatable to YOU, and ultimately you should be able to read with greater focus.

One final component of Reading Comprehension that may be tripping you up is that RC questions contain one or more trap answers that seem to answer the question but don't really. So, a key part of training to correctly answer RC questions is learning to notice the differences between trap answers and correct answers. You have to learn to see how trap answers seem to follow from what the passages say, but don't really, while correct answers fit what the passages say exactly.

GMAT Reading Comprehension Tips: Top 8 DOs and DON’Ts
Send PM
Expert Reply
COVID19butGMAT20 wrote:

To improve in Critical Reasoning, you first need to master the individual Critical Reasoning topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn about each question type, do focused practice so you can track your skill in answering each type. If, for example, you get a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

Another major mistake that people make when training for CR is that they do practice questions too fast. To get Critical Reasoning questions correct, you have to see exactly what's going on in the passages and answer choices, and you likely won't learn to do so by spending a few minutes on each question. At this stage of your training, you may need to spend even fifteen minutes on each question, learning to see what there is to see. Here is a way to look at this process. If you get a new job in a field in which you are not experienced, you may not be as fast as the other people working with you, but you know you have a job to do and you make sure you learn all the angles, so that you do the job well, if not as quickly as those around you, Rushing through the job and doing it incorrectly would not make sense. Then, as you gain more experience, you learn to do the same job more quickly. Think of Critical Reasoning questions similarly. Your job is to do what? To get through questions quickly? Not really. Your job is to get correct answers.

So, first you have to learn to get correct answers, generally at least 10 to 15 in a row consistently, and more in a row would be better. That is your job, and if it takes you fifteen minutes per question to get correct answers consistently, then so be it. Only after you have learned to get correct answers consistently can you work on speeding up. Working quickly but not doing your job is useless. Better to work slowly and learn to do your job well. You can be sure that with experience, you will learn to speed up, and then you will still be doing your job well, i.e., getting correct answers consistently.

Finally, a key aspect of getting correct answers to Critical Reasoning questions is noticing the key differences between trap choices and correct answers. Trap choices can sound temptingly correct but don't get the job done. The logic of what a trap choice says simply doesn't fit what the question is asking you to find. So, to get better at your job, learn to see the key differences between trap choices and correct answers.

To improve in Reading Comprehension, you need to focus on understanding what you are reading. When you are incorrectly answering Reading Comprehension questions, it’s partly because you do not truly understand what you have just read, right? Thus, you likely have to slow down in order to (eventually) speed up. At this point, your best bet is to focus on getting the correct answers to questions, taking as much time as you need to see key details and understand the logic of what you are reading. You have to learn to comprehend what you read, keep it all straight, and use what you are reading to arrive at correct answers. If you don't understand something, go back and read it one sentence at a time, even one word at a time, not moving on until you understand what you have just read. There is no way around this work. Your goal should be to take all the time you need to understand exactly what is being said and arrive at the correct answer. If you can learn to get answers taking your time, you can learn to speed up. Answering questions is like any task: The more times you do it carefully and successfully, the faster you become at doing it carefully and successfully.

Another component of understanding what you are reading is being “present” when reading. Don’t worry about how things are going at work, or what you will eat for dinner, or even how long you are taking to read through the passage. Just focus on what is in front of you, word by word, line by line. Furthermore, try to make reading fun. For example, even if you are reading about a topic that bores you, pretend that you are the person making the argument. By doing so, you will make the passage more relatable to YOU, and ultimately you should be able to read with greater focus.

One final component of Reading Comprehension that may be tripping you up is that RC questions contain one or more trap answers that seem to answer the question but don't really. So, a key part of training to correctly answer RC questions is learning to notice the differences between trap answers and correct answers. You have to learn to see how trap answers seem to follow from what the passages say, but don't really, while correct answers fit what the passages say exactly.
GMAT Club Bot