GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 May 2020, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT 5 Year Rule + First Round of Application

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 5 Year Rule + First Round of Application  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2020, 15:18
Hi everyone,

I had taken the GMAT a while back, on 1st August 2015 and scored a 620. I'm hoping to take it again this year and had a couple of questions:

1) How does the 5-year rule of score validity work? Does my GMAT score from 1st August 2015, expire on 1st August 2020 exactly or is there some other cutoff date?
2) Is it wise to wait out till 2nd August 2020 (or after) to ensure the previous score of 620 (which I had accepted back in the day) wipes off the slate? Am I at a disadvantage if I take the GMAT before 1st August 2020 and both my scores are sent to my choice of 5 schools vis-a-vis taking it on or after 2nd August 2020 and sending only my new score to my choice of top 5 schools?
3) For the first round of applications for the batch going into 2021, it seems like most top schools accept applications until early Sept. Is the first week of August too late to appear for the GMAT? Will I have ample time to fill in the applications in the first round for the top schools, assuming I take the GMAT between 2nd and 10th August?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate your help with my rather specific questions.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT 5 Year Rule + First Round of Application  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2020, 15:52
1) In your case, yes, your score would be invalid from Aug 1,2020. Most schools specify the date (eg. Aug 31,2015) after which you must have taken the GMAT. I'm sure the dates will be mentioned in application portals. If not, inquire with the specific schools. If you have the time, I would advise retaking it because even if your old score is valid for R1, I'm pretty sure it will be invalid for R2 in case you need to apply to schools in R2.
2) I'm not sure but considering the score would be invalid after Aug 1, 2020, I would think it wont appear on your record past that date regardless of when you retake the exam.
3) I suppose it depends. Some people spend months on applications. I suggest you start your applications as soon as they open in May/June, work on talking to students, attending virtual events, writing essays etc. Switch back to GMAT (assuming you are set on taking it in Aug), and get back to polishing applications.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
GMAT 5 Year Rule + First Round of Application   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2020, 15:52

GMAT 5 Year Rule + First Round of Application

new topic post reply Update application status