Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT RETAKE [#permalink]
Thanku so much for your reply
I am planning for top B-Schools namely Wharton, Columbia and Kellogs. I am targeting 2017 session. I had a free session with Stacy Blackman and she guided me to have another go and target somewhere between 730-750 after seeing my profile.
I took 22 mocks before Gmat.
Gmat prep 1- 520
Gmat prep 2- 600
Gmat prep 3- 650
Gmat prep 4- 700
Average of veritas mocks was 620 and Mgmat was 640

Originally posted by ManUtd20 on 20 Feb 2016, 11:37.
Last edited by ManUtd20 on 05 May 2016, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: GMAT RETAKE [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ashutosh1617 wrote:
Hey guys. I gave my Gmat on 31st Jan'16. I prepped for two months, followed a strict schedule. I took Veritas prep classes and did OG, Veritas books, MGMAT books. I gave MGMAT mocks, Gmat prep1-4, Veritas and kaplan mocks. My average mock score was 720. So after seeing my score, i was quite disappointed. I got a 690- Q 50, V 33.
Its quite clear i need to work on my verbal. My target is minimum 730. With the help of Egmat, i've improved my Sc to 80-90% but my CR & RC is still well below the required level. I'll be grateful for any help and advice regarding the same. Should i study powerscore bible for cr?
What mocks should i take now?

CR bible is a good stuff to practice however the score in CR doesn't improve by finishing more questions from different sources. You need to find out what kind of mistakes have you been making and why?

You need to take a few doubt sessions with some expert to know what is the major problem which is hindering your accuracy to improve.

The best Mock tests in market are

Best: GMAT Prep and Exam Pack-1 then come
1) GMAT CLUB test
2) Manhattan Tests

I won't recommend anything above these two and remaining have their own drawbacks specially Kaplan and Veritas (in my opinion) with due respect to their tests.

For a quick assessment on your Verbal part specially for CR you may plan to take a FREE Assessment session with Dr.Sushma Jha and find your flaws. You schedule a demo class please write her on sushma.jha@GMATinsight.com or call on 91-9891333772

You have enough scope to improve in verbal from 33 to 40 so I wish you all the best... :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ashutosh1617 ,

Taking so many CATs in such a short period of time was NOT a good idea. As you continue to study, you should take no more than 1 FULL-LENGTH CAT per week. I have a few questions about how you took those CATs.

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Some of the CAT's, i gave full in one go like Gmat prep
While the others, i gave section by section.
I took them at home. The time varied b/w different mocks.
I took Gmat prep twice, except that all other mocks only once.
The only difference i can say is that in half of the mocks i took longer breaks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Kudos
My non-expert personal advice on the verbal for all of the verbal is that you shouldn't be writing down notes as you read. For the RC, I just read the passage and if it's really long or confusing that's fine, I keep reading, then when I get to the questions, I know where to go back to in the passage to read. I always finished the verbal with time left. SC usually the flaw is obvious so you can immediately narrow down the answers based on the part of the sentence needing correction. Sometimes it's more obvious than others but you should be able to notice that something is wrong or at least less perfect than the rest of the sentence. There's also some idioms that I would get wrong even doing them 5x and for those ones you just have to stop trying to solve them based on what you think is right and instead choose what the gmat will say is right.

Also, you said yourself your SC is good and you need work on the other 2 areas then you say you're focusing on egmat SC... Also you're trying to score into the 90th percentile but your verbal is in the low 70's, working on your SC and quant isn't going to be the most effective way to get you to a 730
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts