It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT score 690- profile evaluation required

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 62

GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Premium Member Reviews Badge
GMAT score 690- profile evaluation required [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 22:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello Guys,
I took my GMAT last week, and scored Overall 690 (Q49, V34, IR 5). Although I did fall short of my average score by 20-30 Points, this was my second attempt.
I am targeting B schools in US. My WE is 5.5 years in energy and utilities sector with a public sector power generation company (NTPC Ltd.). I was wondering if I should go for the 3rd attempt, or focus more on my applications now.
Age-27, male
location- india
grad. percentage- 75 (distinction in india)
degree- B.tech in mechanical and automation

Also, if anyone can advice on my chances of getting accepted in tier-I schools?

Any advice here will be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 62

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: GMAT score 690- profile evaluation required [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 18:18
Hi raoshahb,

If you’re aiming tier-I U.S. schools, you need a stronger GMAT score. Last year, few Indian applicants with less than 740-750 made it to top schools. Odds depend on other factors too, but a low score can make it difficult, given others are applying with higher scores. Try reaching 20-odd points above the median of your target schools to improve your odds.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 01:23
Consider the following points raoshahb:
  1. Your work experience 'could' be interesting but we need to hear more details. What's the nature of your profile - while NTPC is the business of power generation, what is it that you do there; and any accomplishments therein. That will give a better sense on the quality of your work. This will also determine your overall prospects to a large extent - can you differentiate with others, maybe with higher score, on several other parameters with hard fact?
  2. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. The actual answer depends on a lot of factors of course and not just the score. 'Top-tier' itself can mean different things to different folks. But in general, the decision to retake or not should be basis your confidence level. From what you have said, if you can hit that average, it is definitely worth the pain.
  3. 'Top' schools also expect something more in the profile; read here. You haven't mentioned that in your post; but something which is a great to have.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: Vibranture

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT score 690- profile evaluation required [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 05:29
Hi raoshahb

I agree with Anil's comment. It would be very hard to get into top US schools with 690. You still have time so I'd encourage you to give it another shot if you are very keen on the top schools.

If not, I'd say be more strategic about your school choices. A good plan would ensure an admission while a poor one would lead to a significant loss of time, money, effort and opportunity.

If you want to talk more, drop me an email.

You might like to read:
What B-schools look for and how they evaluate your profile
Essays, Tips and Deadlines of more than Top 50 global MBA/EMBA programs

Good luck!

Shea Rai is an MBA alumna and an MBA/EMBA Admissions Consultant, at VIBRANTURE. She helps students from across the globe get admitted to their dream B-schools.

After completing her MBA from Ross (Michigan), Shea worked as a marketing executive in the US for 5years. In 2014, she decided to become an entrepreneur and since then she has been providing guidance to prospective MBA students on all aspects of B-school admissions including essays, resume, interviews and more.

Want a personal evaluation of your profile? Or a candid feedback on your reapplication?

Last edited by SheaRai on 07 Jun 2017, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 06:08
raoshahb wrote:
Hello Guys,
I took my GMAT last week, and scored Overall 690 (Q49, V34, IR 5). Although I did fall short of my average score by 20-30 Points, this was my second attempt.
I am targeting B schools in US. My WE is 5.5 years in energy and utilities sector with a public sector power generation company (NTPC Ltd.). I was wondering if I should go for the 3rd attempt, or focus more on my applications now.
Age-27, male
location- india

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your profile post. What school did you go to for undergrad? This is very important and it is hard to evaluate anything without that.

That said, I agree that you should retake the GMAT if you are aiming for top schools. You come from a very competitive set and while we placed many applicants from India last year, few had a 690 and targeted top schools.

Reach out and we can discuss further as well as review private tutoring options.

Scott@personalmbacoach.com
www.personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 16:15
What schools are you targeting to? A good GMAT is the score that gets you into the schools you are targeting. If you are targeting top 15 then you're score will be too low. If you are looking a bit lower then you may be all set. Just depends on your target!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 02:53
raoshahb wrote:
Hello Guys,
Age-27, male
location- india

Thanks in advance.

Missing a lot of information here unfortunately, so I can’t really give you a proper evaluation due to that. If you’d like, you could fill out our Chances Calculator with all your details (the more details, the better!) and send your information to ARINGO and we can get back to you with a thorough evaluation. You will find the chances calculator here: https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

But in general, I would say it is likely a good idea to retake for you, given that this was “only” your second attempt at the GMAT. Have you made any decision regarding that already?

JL

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT score 690- profile evaluation required   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2017, 02:53

GMAT score 690- profile evaluation required

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap