Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:21 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, OD
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Masters in Finance
Schools:London Business School
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, OD
Send PM
Re: GMAT Scores, Big 3 and Etiquette [#permalink]
Yea but it looks like you can't even get an interview unless your hitt'n at 700 or above.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Well let's be honest, in this employment market, where the supply of people who want to go into consulting is much higher than the number of available positions, and especially at Kellogg or another school where the average GMAT is above 700, it's going to be hard to get onto a closed list with a consulting firm with a low GMAT score since the competition is so tough. However, that's what open lists are for. And like nink said, once you're in the interview, how you perform on the case is much more important than GMAT score.

As for whether to put GMAT on your resume, it depends whether you're recruiting for an industry that cares about it. Banking or consulting? Yeah you should probably put it on there. Marketing, General Management, etc., probably not. In fact, I'm recruiting for pharma/biotech and I was told flat out by 2nd years and our career office not to put mine on my resume, since recruiters don't care about it. Most companies I recruited at didn't even ask for my GPA at Kellogg.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Tuck Class of 2012
Send PM
I gave my GMAT in June 2007, so my score will be 4-5 years old (but still <5) when I'm applying for internships and jobs in the MC field. Anyone have an idea whether that will cause a problem?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
They don't ask the date from what I recall - it is more "what gmat got you in", as it is a required metric.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted &amp; ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Kudos
3underscore wrote:
They don't ask the date from what I recall - it is more "what gmat got you in", as it is a required metric.

+1
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
I never knew how much the GMAT would affect one after being admitted to BSchool, but that makes sense and is great to know
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
appreciated
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
I mean, it depends on the events and who you meet as well. I for one don't care about your GMAT, a whole lot of other folk think it is the greatest defining factor known to man. Consultancy firms certainly have a rep for judging off this, Banks a bit but with a lot more sense (IMHO) that you can work past it by letting folk know.

For the useless survey of one, if your GMAT isn't above 780 I don't want to know. And then I probably am really worried my dog has more social skills (my dog could have had me date way more people that an intro 780+ GMAT candidate could manage, easy)
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
It's funny how a 780 and above and people start to wonder about your social skills... I think a few conversations with the candidate (interview) should be enough to gauge his ability to interact with others... But the lesson here is to have above a 700 and below a 780 (Still going to shoot for an 800)... but I forgot where I read that some top business schools privately emailed certain students letting them know they would accept them in the condition that they retake the gmat and get at least a 700... I think it's more for improving your recruiting chances (see school's image) and also for increasing the average GMAT score of the institution. I know McKinsey highly favors at least a 700 GMAT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
getienne wrote:
... but I forgot where I read that some top business schools privately emailed certain students letting them know they would accept them in the condition that they retake the gmat and get at least a 700... I think it's more for improving your recruiting chances (see school's image) and also for increasing the average GMAT score of the institution.

This is slightly off topic, but the point you made above is something a lot of people don't understand.

Business schools, in and of themselves, are a business. How do they attract students? One way is through outstanding job placement stats.

So although schools want to create a class "mix" that makes attending the school fulfilling, they also want to make sure the students they admit will get jobs and boost employment stats.

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Forget about management consulting. Go to a company that's in _real_ trouble and help it get back into profitability. Knowing how to do pie charts and powerpoint aren't real business skills. Now, you may ask, how would you gain those _real_ skills? By working in a company that's in turmoil! You learn the most in those situations and you quickly find out who you really are - whether you are just a "consultant" or someone who really owns the project and is willing to put their reputation on the line.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
Those companies in turmoil hire consulting companies to get them out of turmoil...I'm pretty sure you will get business skills by going into consulting.....
Current Student
Send PM
getienne wrote:
It's funny how a 780 and above and people start to wonder about your social skills... I think a few conversations with the candidate (interview) should be enough to gauge his ability to interact with others... But the lesson here is to have above a 700 and below a 780 (Still going to shoot for an 800)... but I forgot where I read that some top business schools privately emailed certain students letting them know they would accept them in the condition that they retake the gmat and get at least a 700... I think it's more for improving your recruiting chances (see school's image) and also for increasing the average GMAT score of the institution. I know McKinsey highly favors at least a 700 GMAT.

Careful getienne. I wouldn't say "people" start judging your social skills at 780. Just this dickhead here (me). But if you have seen my interview style, you should know that is only one of many ways in which I can be a bit unconventional (or prepared to throw things out there).
Current Student
Send PM
As for consulting vs being in a firm. I think you need to remember that an MBA consultant basically sits and applies the model prescribed by the senior guys in the consulting team. An associate consultant gets to sit in a conference room in the troubled firm grinding through a lot of work - I would question if they ever get a real feel for what the firm itself is like.

I am not saying that going to the firm and getting hands on is the best idea (for one, you are still an associate), but the world where consultants get to see it all and experience so many firms? That is good marketing of the job. Same as IBanks sell you on doing deals. Buyer Beware.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Consulting recruiting is a likeability contest. It is a client facing job. So firms want who are presentable - very tight filter. GMAT scores, Prolem solving, raw smarts etc - light filters. Look at how many people does each firm hire from each school. It is not possible that all of these people will be working on devising investment strategy for Buffet. There is LOT of work out there that does not need brilliance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.66
WE:Other (Accounting)
Send PM
was the GMAT score specifically required by the firms? During networking session or info session, it would be a great opportunity to find out. Otherwise, only put the GMAT score on your resume if it is outstanding. If the score is low, better have other things to make up for it
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92977 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts