Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4596 [261]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [40]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [17]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [10]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Re: Colonial historian David Allen's intensive study of five communities i [#permalink]
Kudos
Time taken 14 mins.
1. The passage suggests that Professor Clive Holmes would most likely agree with which of the following statements?
A. An understanding of seventeenth-century English local institutions requires a consideration of national issues.
"...the "country community" school of seventeenth-century English history whose intemperate excesses in removing all national issues from the history of that period have been exposed by Professor Clive Holmes"

2. It can be inferred from the passage that the author of the passage considers Allen's "discovery" (see highlighted text) to be
D. an unexplained, isolated fact
"We are not told in what way, if at all, this discovery illuminates historical understanding."

3. It can be inferred that the author of the passage considers Allen's research on seventeenth-century Massachusetts colonies to be
C. detailed but problematic
"Colonial historian David Allen's intensive study of five communities in seventeenth-century Massachusetts is a model of meticulous scholarship on the detailed microcosmic level, and is convincing up to a point.
blah blah
However, he overstates his case with the declaration....
"

5. The author of the passage is primarily concerned with
E. criticizing a particular study and the approach to historical scholarship it represents

4. According to the passage, which of the following was true of most villages in seventeenth-century England?
A. The resident squire had significant authority.
B. Church members were selected on the basis of their social status within the community.
C. Low population density restricted agricultural and economic growth.
D. There was little diversity in local institutions from one region to another.
E. National events had little impact on local customs and administrative organization.
>> Need help with this one.
By POE I can reach to A but don't know how to infer that from para. I was stumped by option D in starting bec of following line:
"Allen suggests that much more coherence and direct continuity existed between English and colonial agricultural practices and administrative organization than other historians have suggested. ".But after rereading i found the difference.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Foster '16
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
Send PM
Re: Colonial historian David Allen's intensive study of five communities i [#permalink]
Kudos
A. substantiating a claim about a historical event
B. reconciling two opposing ideas about a historical era
C. disputing evidence a scholar uses to substantiate a claim about a historical event
D. analyzing two approaches to scholarly research and evaluating their methodologies
E. criticizing a particular study and the approach to historical scholarship it represents

While solving this question , I am able to eliminate
B. reconciling two opposing ideas about a historical era (no two ideas are explain)
D. analyzing two approaches to scholarly research and evaluating their methodologies (no methodology is discussed)
A. substantiating a claim about a historical event(no historical even is discussed)

so I remains with C and E and I choose C ...
I think criticizing is strong word for passage tone
C. disputing evidence a scholar uses to substantiate a claim about a historical event
second paragraph talk about evidence also third paragraph also say about evidence.
Please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT Date: 01-08-2015
Send PM
im not a native speaker, it took me way to long -> 16 minutes
I got 4/5 right.

vvd : I also struggled between these 2 answer. I took E because C claims someone wants to "substantiate a claim about a historical event". I could not see the claim about the historical event.

all: I want to be faster, any ideas how the last and the first passage could be summarized?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [5]
Given Kudos: 475
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
eddyki wrote:
im not a native speaker, it took me way to long -> 16 minutes
I got 4/5 right.

vvd : I also struggled between these 2 answer. I took E because C claims someone wants to "substantiate a claim about a historical event". I could not see the claim about the historical event.

all: I want to be faster, any ideas how the last and the first passage could be summarized?

Hi eddyki,

There are various strategies available for RC. Check out the below link for example.
ultimate-reading-comprehension-encyclopedia-150022.html#p1205080

I'm also still trying to perfect it. What I found so far is that you will have to devise your own strategy because what works for one may not work for other person. It depends a lot on your vocabulary skills also.
Keep practising RC on daily basis and you will be able to figure out what works best for you.
Best of Luck :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
"According to the passage, which of the following was true of most villages in seventeenth-century England?

(A) The resident squire had significant authority.
(B) Church members were selected on the basis of their social status within the community.
(C) Low population density restricted agricultural and economic growth.
(D) There was little diversity in local institutions from one region to another.
(E) National events had little impact on local customs and administrative organization"

Dear experts,
from the last sentence of paragraph 1,especially the word "overstates", I got the idea that little diversity in local institution was directly imitative of another.
that's why I am satisfied with D.

please point out my fault.

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [5]
Given Kudos: 109
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Kudos
1) A
2) D
3) C
4) A
5) E

Question 2 seems to be the one most people struggled with, so I will address it in more detail.

2. It can be inferred from the passage that the author of the passage considers Allen's "discovery" (see highlighted text) to be
A. already known to earlier historians No. It can be inferred that Allen discovered the detail.
B. based on a logical fallacy This is unsubstantiated
C. improbable but nevertheless convincing Author seems adamant that Allen is wrong, so no.
D. an unexplained, isolated fact Yes. The gist of the paragraph is that Allen's work does little to advance "the big picture" and that his work cannot be used to explain "macro" trends.
E. a new, insightful observation Like C, the author seems to be against Allen's POV.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
am10ir wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone provide a detailed explanation for question number 5

(A) substantiating a claim about a historical event
(B) reconciling two opposing ideas about a historical era
(C) disputing evidence a scholar uses to substantiate a claim about a historical event
(D) analyzing two approaches to scholarly research and evaluating their methodologies
(E) criticizing a particular study and the approach to historical scholarship it represents

reading the passage we can see that the auhor first informs us about the study. Then he gives the shortcomings and differences in it and finally tells us that it was exposed. also he questions the study's methodology. all this corroborates E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Quote:
1. The passage suggests that Professor Clive Holmes would most likely agree with which of the following statements?

(A) An understanding of seventeenth-century English local institutions requires a consideration of national issues.
(B) The "country community" school of seventeenth- century English history distorts historical evidence in order to establish continuity between old and new institutions.
(C) Most historians distort reality by focusing on national concerns to the exclusion of local concerns.
(D) National issues are best understood from the perspective of those at the local level.
(E) Local histories of seventeenth-century English villages have contributed little to the understanding of village life.

(A) already known to earlier historians
(B) based on a logical fallacy
(C) improbable but nevertheless convincing
(D) an unexplained, isolated fact
(E) a new, insightful observation

3. It can be inferred that the author of the passage considers Allen's research on seventeenth-century Massachusetts colonies to be

(A) inconsequential but interesting
(B) largely derivative
(C) detailed but problematic
(D) highly commendable
(E) overly theoretical

HI GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley , SarahPurewal , dave13 , workout

Great Passage Indeed... Could you please help me with the above three Question in detail .

Help me with POE
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
HI GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley , SarahPurewal , dave13 , workout

Great Passage Indeed... Could you please help me with the above three Question in detail .

Help me with POE

Hi NandishSS,

There are already several explanations for some of these questions. Could you provide a bit more detail about where you're getting stuck? Try to describe your own POE, and point out where you're having trouble, and then I'll be able to jump in and help :)

-Carolyn
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
HI MagooshExpert (Carolyn)

Quote:
Allen's work is a rather extreme example of the "country community" school of seventeenth-century English history whose intemperate excesses in removing all national issues from the history of that period have been exposed by Professor Clive Holmes. We are not told in what way, if at all, this discovery illuminates historical understanding. Studies of local history have enormously expanded our horizons, but it is a mistake for their authors to conclude that village institutions are all that mattered, simply because their functions are all that the records of village institutions reveal.

Above is the relevent part.But how do infer? Down with these four options

(A) An understanding of seventeenth-century English local institutions requires a consideration of national issues.
(C) Most historians distort reality by focusing on national concerns to the exclusion of local concerns.
(D) National issues are best understood from the perspective of those at the local level.
(E) Local histories of seventeenth-century English villages have contributed little to the understanding of village life.

Down with these two options stuck with these two

Among these three

(D) highly commendable

Stuck with Inference questions
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [7]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey NandishSS

check below

(B) The "country community" school of seventeenth- century English history distorts historical evidence in order to establish continuity between old and new institutions.

ANSWER below in BOLD :)

By narrowing his focus to village institutions and ignoring these critical differences, which studies by Greven, Demos, and Lockridge have shown to be so important, Allen has created a somewhat distorted picture of reality

Studies of local history have enormously expanded our horizons, but it is a mistake for their authors to conclude that village institutions are all that mattered, simply because their functions are all that the records of village institutions reveal.

Allen's work is a rather extreme example of the "country community" school of seventeenth-century English history whose intemperate excesses in removing all national issues

(A) already known to earlier historians
(B) based on a logical fallacy
(E) a new, insightful observation

ANSWER BELOW:

(Isolated fact) Allen's work is a rather extreme example of the "country community" school of seventeenth-century English history whose intemperate excesses in removing all national issues from the
(unexplained fact ) What conclusion can be drawn, for example, from Allen's discovery that Puritan clergy who had come to the colonies from East Anglia were one-third to one-half as likely to return to England by 1660 as were Puritan ministers from western and northern England? We are not told in what way, if at all, this discovery illuminates historical understanding.

(B) largely derivative
(D) highly commendable
(E) overly theoretical

ANSWER BELOW:

(DETAILED)Colonial historian David Allen's intensive study of five communities in seventeenth-century Massachusetts is a model of meticulous scholarship on the detailed microcosmic level, and is convincing up to a point.

(PROBLEMATIC) However, he overstates his case with the declaration that he has proved

let me know if it helped :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos
Hey can someone help me this question ? GMATNinja egmat VeritasKarishma

I still can't wrap my head around
how can we infer answer choice A from Fourth, a high proportion of English villagers lived under paternalistic resident squires; no such class existed in New England.
This doesn't tell us that resident squire had significant authority

4. According to the passage, which of the following was true of most villages in seventeenth-century England?

(A) The resident squire had significant authority.
(B) Church members were selected on the basis of their social status within the community.
(C) Low population density restricted agricultural and economic growth.
(D) There was little diversity in local institutions from one region to another.
(E) National events had little impact on local customs and administrative organization.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [8]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos