GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Goats are world’s best grass land grazers by eating away almost all of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Goats are world’s best grass land grazers by eating away almost all of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2014, 07:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:17) correct 54% (02:07) wrong based on 104 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Goats are world’s best grass land grazers by eating away almost all of the plants other than grass including poisonous plants in prairies and pastures. Grass is the last choice of these cattle, although they may damage some useful plants that are left unprotected. Goat’s saliva contains an array of enzymes that neutralize the poisons in the plants. It also contains chemicals that stop the growth of unwanted plants. In addition, they enrich the pastures by their excretions, making the grass grow more vigorously. Also we cannot forget the high quality protein meat and quality milk they give us. Thus goats are undoubtedly one of the best environmentally, economically, and socially valuable animals of our planet.

Which of the following would be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

(A) Whether goats all over the world have such a plant growth limiting action?
(B) Whether any animals other than goats possess such capabilities comparably?
(C) Whether the chemicals that goats possess can also destroy useful plants other than grass?
(D) Whether grass can get damaged while the goats are grazing unwanted plants?
(E) Whether the meat and milk are as good as cow’s or buffalo’s products?

GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Goats are world’s best grass land grazers by eating away almost all of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2014, 09:45
This one took time in reading and understanding. Tough one for me.

IMO C

Conclusion: Thus goats are undoubtedly one of the best environmentally, economically, and socially valuable animals of our planet.

We need to evaluate bold faced aspects of the goats from stem info

Below is my reasoning:
A. Whether goats all over the world have such a plant growth limiting action? -- Doesn't affect our conclusion from the bold faced aspects. Even if some goats have a plant growth limiting action, still our conclusion holds
B. Whether any animals other than goats possess such capabilities comparably? --We are concerned here about goats not any other animals.
C. Whether the chemicals that goats possess can also destroy useful plants other than grass? --If chemicals possessed by goats destroy useful plants then goats are not valuable from bold faced aspects. But in case, goats do not destroy the useful plants then our claim is strengthened
D. Whether grass can get damaged while the goats are grazing unwanted plants? -- We don't know what value grass has i.e if grass gets damaged, we are still not in a position to evaluate bold faced aspects. In other words, this is irrelevant for the lack of info
E. Whether the meat and milk are as good as cow’s or buffalo’s products? -- we have already evaluated this so it doesn't affect our conclusion.

Please post OA and OE. Good question :-)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
CAT Tests
Re: Goats are world’s best grass land grazers by eating away almost all of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2014, 16:35
[quote="daagh"]Goats are world’s best grass land grazers by eating away almost all of the plants other than grass including poisonous plants in prairies and pastures. Grass is the last choice of these cattle, although they may damage some useful plants that are left unprotected. Goat’s saliva contains an array of enzymes that neutralize the poisons in the plants. It also contains chemicals that stop the growth of unwanted plants. In addition, they enrich the pastures by their excretions, making the grass grow more vigorously. Also we cannot forget the high quality protein meat and quality milk they give us. Thus goats are undoubtedly one of the best environmentally, economically, and socially valuable animals of our planet.

Tough....

Conclusion :Thus goats are undoubtedly one of the best environmentally, economically, and socially valuable animals of our planet.
Premise:
1.Goats are world’s best grass land grazers
2.It also contains chemicals that stop the growth of unwanted plants.
3. In addition, they enrich the pastures by their excretions
It means the the goat helps in so many ways and hence we reach to the conclusion.

Which of the following would be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

A. Whether goats all over the world have such a plant growth limiting action? //If 1% goats doesn't have then it is not going to change the conclusion.
B. Whether any animals other than goats possess such capabilities comparably?//One of the best.So if other animal has these features then also it doesn't matter.
if it would have been the only animal ,it might have caused us to rethink.

C. Whether the chemicals that goats possess can also destroy useful plants other than grass? //The stimulus tells about the un useful plants.So it is essential to know about the usefull plants.Hence The correct ans.
D. Whether grass can get damaged while the goats are grazing unwanted plants?//It helps to grow grass.
E. Whether the meat and milk are as good as cow’s or buffalo’s products? //Not required.The quality is not compared rather stimulus says it gives protein milk.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2014, 22:00
daagh wrote:
Goats are world’s best grass land grazers by eating away almost all of the plants other than grass including poisonous plants in prairies and pastures. Grass is the last choice of these cattle, although they may damage some useful plants that are left unprotected. Goat’s saliva contains an array of enzymes that neutralize the poisons in the plants. It also contains chemicals that stop the growth of unwanted plants. In addition, they enrich the pastures by their excretions, making the grass grow more vigorously. Also we cannot forget the high quality protein meat and quality milk they give us. Thus goats are undoubtedly one of the best environmentally, economically, and socially valuable animals of our planet.

A. Whether goats all over the world have such a plant growth limiting action?
B. Whether any animals other than goats possess such capabilities comparably?
C. Whether the chemicals that goats possess can also destroy useful plants other than grass?
D. Whether grass can get damaged while the goats are grazing unwanted plants?
E. Whether the meat and milk are as good as cow’s or buffalo’s products?

OA and OE after 5 solutions

CLEAR "C"- LETS ANSWER IN "YES"/ "NO"---
1. Whether the chemicals that goats possess can also destroy useful plants other than grass? YES THEY DO----Thus goats may not be the best environmentally, economically, and socially valuable animals of our planet.
2. Whether the chemicals that goats possess can also destroy useful plants other than grass? NO THEY DONT----Thus goats may be the best environmentally, economically, and socially valuable animals of our planet, GIVEN THE OTHER BENEFITS IN THE STIMULUS..........

SO , THIS QUESTION IS PERFECT IN EVALUATING THE STIMULUS ARGUMENT...........CORRECT ANSWER" C".....
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2014, 17:46
daagh wrote:

A. Whether goats all over the world have such a plant growth limiting action?
C. Whether the chemicals that goats possess can also destroy useful plants other than grass?
D. Whether grass can get damaged while the goats are grazing unwanted plants?
E. Whether the meat and milk are as good as cow’s or buffalo’s products?

OA and OE after 5 solutions

Really like the unambiguous answer choices. Very good question.
IMO C
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2014, 11:06
Initially i too opted for C in less than a minute , but after through reading the passage again got a doubt .
"although they may damage some useful plants" this sentence is given in the passage itself.
Then how does choice C Weaken or strengthen the conclusion.
Let's analyze choice C option
c) Whether the chemicals that goats possess can also destroy useful plants other than grass?

If answer is Yes , this does not weaken the conclusion because "although they may damage some useful plants" is already given in premise.

Let us go through Choice B
b) Whether any animals other than goats possess such capabilities comparably?/
If answer to this question is Yes, then it weakens the conclusion
If answer to this question is no , then it strengthens the conclusion.

Moderators, please help over this
Is my thinking correct or am i flawed in this reasoning ??

Thanks in advance :)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 11:21
Can anyone explain why B is wrong and C is right? when we ans yes or no in option B it strengthens or weakens the argument but this is not the case in C. Can someone help me correct my understanding. Where am I wrong? What am I missing?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 05:56
Shreshtha55 wrote:
Can anyone explain why B is wrong and C is right? when we ans yes or no in option B it strengthens or weakens the argument but this is not the case in C. Can someone help me correct my understanding. Where am I wrong? What am I missing?

The conclusion is: Thus goats are undoubtedly one of the best environmentally, economically, and socially valuable animals of our planet.

-> We concluded that goats are "one of the best". This does not mean that they are the best but does mean that their exist other animals which are similar in their value. Therefore, it is not necessary to know more about other animals. We rather want to focus on the goat itself.
-> Correct, because if chemicals possessed by goats destroy useful plants then goats are not valuable anymore (defined by the bold face e.g. environmentally friendly and destroying useful plants do not work together). Therefore, if goats do not destroy the useful plants then our claim is strengthened.

I hope that helps
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 05:22
I am not able to understand why option B is not the correct one .
By evaluating option B we can know for sure whether goat is such an important animal.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 13:13
amuban wrote:
I am not able to understand why option B is not the correct one .
By evaluating option B we can know for sure whether goat is such an important animal.

let me help you out here. When we evaluate B we get two possibilities there are other animals like goats or there are no animals like goats. It would have been useful to determine the argument if it had not been given that goats are one of the best environmentally, economically, and socially valuable animals of our planet. You see one of the best implies that there can be other animals as well. We don't know that Hence B is not helpful in evaluating the argument here. As for C if the goats' chemical stops the growth of plants and also destroy useful plants, then you will not consider goats useful anymore.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management
WE: Sales (Other)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 04:40
Why do we need to evaluate whether useful plants can be damaged when we're already given in the second sentence that the goats may damage useful plants?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Goats are world’s best grass land grazers by eating away almost all of   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2019, 04:40

Goats are world’s best grass land grazers by eating away almost all of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics