GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 05:14

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Gortland has long been narrowly self‐sufficient in both grain and meat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Gortland has long been narrowly self‐sufficient in both grain and meat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2012, 10:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:17) correct 24% (01:37) wrong based on 3502 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Gortland has long been narrowly self‐sufficient in both grain and meat. However, as per capita income in Gortland has risen toward the world average, per capita consumption of meat has also risen toward the world average, and it takes several pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat. Therefore, since per capita income continues to rise, whereas domestic grain production will not increase, Gortland will soon have to import either grain or meat or both.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The total acreage devoted to grain production in Gortland will not decrease substantially.

B. The population of Gortland has remained relatively constant during the country’s years of growing prosperity.

C. The per capita consumption of meat in Gortland is roughly the same across all income levels.

D. In Gortland, neither meat nor grain is subject to government price controls.

E. People in Gortland who increase their consumption of meat will not radically decrease their consumption of grain.

Similar Topic: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gortland-has ... 72405.html

Verbal OG 2019 ID: CR05554

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Gortland has long been narrowly self‐sufficient in both grain and meat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2012, 03:00
Hang Tuah wrote:
Gortland has long been narrowly self-sufficient in both grain and meat. However, as per capita income in Gortland has risen toward the world average, per capita consumption of meat has also risen toward the world average, and it takes several pounds of grains to produce one pound of meat. Therefore, since per capita income continues to rise, whereas domestic grain production will not increase, Gortland will soon have to import either grain or meat or both. -->Conclusion

(A) The total acreage devoted to grain production in Gortlnad will not decrease substantially
(B) The population of Gortland has remained relatively constant during the country’s years of growing prosperity
(C) The per capita consumption of meat in Gortland is roughly the same across all income levels
(D) In Gortland, neither meat nor grain is subject to government price controls
(E) People in Gortland who increase their consumption of meat will not radically decrease their consumption of grain-->CORRECT

Remember to identify the conclusion whenever you do an CR question. Now use the Negate approach with answer E:

Let's say: Normally Gortland consumes: 1000 Grain and 1000 Meat, equal to what the country can produce; and the exchange rate is 4G --> 1M

If now the consumption is: 800G and 1100M --> Gortland can exchange extra 200G to 50M, so it actually produces 1050M, still need to import another 50M
If now the consumption is: 700G and 1100M --> exchange extra 300G to 75M, so still need to import another 25M
If now the consumption is: 600G and 1100M --> exchange extra 400G to 100M and Tah-da! Gotrland does not have to import anything at all --> against the conclusion

That's why we need to assume the consumption of grain will not decrease radically. The OA is E

I just need 25 Kudos to access the GMAT tests. Plz give me one if you found my post helpful

General Discussion
Princeton Review Representative
Re: Gortland has long been narrowly self‐sufficient in both grain and meat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2013, 18:07
This assumption question asks you to bridge the gap between the conclusion that garland will have to import meat or grain based and the premise that Meat consumption is increasing and meat uses lots of grain. Thus we will have to assume that the increase in meat consumption will mean that grain consumption either remains the same or also increases.
Hang Tuah wrote:
Gortland has long been narrowly self-sufficient in both grain and meat. However, as per capita income in Gortland has risen toward the world average, per capita consumption of meat has also risen toward the world average, and it takes several pounds of grains to produce one pound of meat. Therefore, since per capita income continues to rise, whereas domestic grain production will not increase, Gortland will soon have to import either grain or meat or both.

(A) The total acreage devoted to grain production in Gortlnad will not decrease substantially acreage is out of scope because we don't have a connection between grain production and acreage
(B) The population of Gortland has remained relatively constant during the country’s years of growing prosperityYou do not have to assume a constant population for the income level to affect the meat consumption
(C) The per capita consumption of meat in Gortland is roughly the same across all income levelsas long as it is increasing, it doesn't matter which demographic increases more or less
(D) In Gortland, neither meat nor grain is subject to government price controlsprice controls are out of scope - as the argument makes it clear meat consumption is increasing with or without the prices
(E) People in Gortland who increase their consumption of meat will not radically decrease their consumption of grain[color=#2e3192]This is the assumption because if there were a dramatic decrease in grain then that could make up for the increase in meat consumption and therefore you have to assume this will not happen in order to come to the stated conclusion[/color]

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 03:29
Quote:
Gortland has long been narrowly self-sufficient in both grain and meat. However, as per capita income in Gortland has risen toward the world average, per capita consumption of meat has also risen toward the world average, and it takes several pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat. Therefore, since per capita income continues to rise, whereas domestic grain production will not increase, Gortland will soon have to import either grain or meat or both

A) The total acreage devoted to grain production in Gortland will not decrease substantially.
(B) The population of Gortland has remained relatively constant during the country's years of growing prosperity.
(C) The per capita consumption of meat in Gortland is roughly the same across all income levels.
(D) In Gortland, neither meat nor grain is subject to government price controls.
(E) People in Gortland who increase their consumption of meat will not radically decrease their consumption of grain.

Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,

I know we can eliminate if use negative skill, but I have no idea where my reasoning is incorrect.
here is my reasoning:
the conclusion is Gortland will soon have to import either grain or meat or both
Although per capita consumption of meat has also risen toward the world average, it doesn't necessary mean that whole consumption increases.
for example: if per consumption is 1kg , there are 10m people, then whole consumption is 20m, if per consumption increases to 2kg, but there are 8m people, then the whole consumption is 16m.
we need to know the whole consumption. my assumption is that if whole consumption exceeds production, the Gortland will import.
So i choice B, because if population has remained constant, then i can infer the whole consumption increases and exceeds the production, then Gortland need import.

another question, I am not sure the meaning of "as" in However, as per capita income in Gortland has risen toward the world average, per capita consumption of meat has also risen toward the world average,

if it means simultaneous, then there is no causal relationship between per income increase and per consumption
if it means because, then apparently, there is a causal relationship between per income increase and per consumption

genuinely want your clarification.

Have a nice day
>_~
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 19:02
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
Gortland has long been narrowly self-sufficient in both grain and meat. However, as per capita income in Gortland has risen toward the world average, per capita consumption of meat has also risen toward the world average, and it takes several pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat. Therefore, since per capita income continues to rise, whereas domestic grain production will not increase, Gortland will soon have to import either grain or meat or both

A) The total acreage devoted to grain production in Gortland will not decrease substantially.
(B) The population of Gortland has remained relatively constant during the country's years of growing prosperity.
(C) The per capita consumption of meat in Gortland is roughly the same across all income levels.
(D) In Gortland, neither meat nor grain is subject to government price controls.
(E) People in Gortland who increase their consumption of meat will not radically decrease their consumption of grain.

Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,

I know we can eliminate if use negative skill, but I have no idea where my reasoning is incorrect.
here is my reasoning:
the conclusion is Gortland will soon have to import either grain or meat or both
Although per capita consumption of meat has also risen toward the world average, it doesn't necessary mean that whole consumption increases.
for example: if per consumption is 1kg , there are 10m people, then whole consumption is 20m, if per consumption increases to 2kg, but there are 8m people, then the whole consumption is 16m.
we need to know the whole consumption. my assumption is that if whole consumption exceeds production, the Gortland will import.
So i choice B, because if population has remained constant, then i can infer the whole consumption increases and exceeds the production, then Gortland need import.

another question, I am not sure the meaning of "as" in However, as per capita income in Gortland has risen toward the world average, per capita consumption of meat has also risen toward the world average,

if it means simultaneous, then there is no causal relationship between per income increase and per consumption
if it means because, then apparently, there is a causal relationship between per income increase and per consumption

genuinely want your clarification.

Have a nice day
>_~

zoezhuyan, there is some confusion because this thread contains two different questions based on the same passage.

But regarding your first question, the argument does not RELY on the fact that the population has remained stable.

Quote:
B: The population of Gortland has remained relatively constant during the country's years of growing prosperity.

What if the population has increased? The author's argument would still hold in that case. You are right that if the population has decreased, then the argument could fall apart. But that does not make (B) a required assumption.

As for your second question, "as" means "at the same time". This does not tell us whether there is a causal relationship between the two. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't:

"As Alan started to eat more spinach, his GMAT test scores increased." - Those two things happened simultaneously. Perhaps eating more spinach boosted Alan's scores, but we don't know either way.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.44
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 17:29
I chose B as well but GmatNinja's explanation helped.

Now help me understand this, if I reword B, will it become a required assumption as well?

The author assumes that "The population in Gortland will not decrease".

I understand why E is a required assumption as well though.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 21:15
A2MBB wrote:
I chose B as well but GmatNinja's explanation helped.

Now help me understand this, if I reword B, will it become a required assumption as well?

The author assumes that "The population in Gortland will not decrease".

I understand why E is a required assumption as well though.

Hey i don't think it would still be the correct answer.
Even though population won't decrease, we would want to find out whether the consumption will increase.
As the conclusion is related to imports, we should have information about consumption in the given option.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 22:32
My passage analysis:

Gortland has been barely self-sufficient in both grain and meat.
Per capita income(PCI) and per capita consumption(PCC) have increased.
PCI= TOTAL INCOME/TOPTAL POPULATION
PCC= TOTAL CONSUMPTION OF MEAT/ TOTAL POPULATION.
SEVERAL POUNDS OF GRAIN= 1 POUND OF MEAT
Domestic grain production is NOT increasing.
CONCLUSION: Considering above statements, Gortland will have to begin importing either grain or meat or both.

Arriving at assumption:

Negating this conclusion: Gortland will NOThave to begin importing either grain or meat or both.

GIVEN: THE ABOVE STATED FACTS in passage analysis.

FALSIFICATION QUESTION: What if the population of Gortland has decreased over the past years?

This will imply that rise in PCI AND PCC is because of decrease in population(denominator). Hence there will be no need to import. As domestic production will be sufficient.

ASSUMPTION: The population of Gortland has NOT decreased over the past years.

DOUBT: Is the assumption correct?
I totally understand that Option B is incorrect because the Population might increase or decrease. But if It specifically decreases , can we say that the conclusion breaks down
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 06:48
A. The total acreage devoted to grain production in Gortland will not decrease substantially.
total area will decrease , then might have to import. hence opposite

B. The population of Gortland has remained relatively constant during the country’s years of growing prosperity.
even if pop not remain constant, then it can either increase/decrease.

C. The per capita consumption of meat in Gortland is roughly the same across all income levels.
indicidual consumption may b different, but overal is what we are using. hence not relevant

D. In Gortland, neither meat nor grain is subject to government price controls.
pricing is out of scope

E. People in Gortland who increase their consumption of meat will not radically decrease their consumption of grain.
if either way decreasing the consumption, then overal consumption may decrease. hence import not req
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Gortland has long been narrowly self‐sufficient in both grain and meat &nbs [#permalink] 08 Oct 2018, 06:48

Gortland has long been narrowly self‐sufficient in both grain and meat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap