Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Send PM
Re: Guide to Recruiting and Schmoozing - Part 3 - Etiquette [#permalink]
Kudos
Regarding table manners, I actually think this is very very important. Of course not everyone has great manners but many of the higher level executives have been to many formal dinners so chances are high that you may come across one that is a stickler. And I'll admit, although I'm not a high level exec at a major firm, I'm a bit of a stickler so watching someone make egregious errors makes me cringe a bit inside.

There are many nuances to table manners and you don't need to follow them all but here are some basics:

1) your bread plate is always to your left. don't grab the one on your right because you will screw things up (especially if the table is round). If you forget, just wait until you see other people use their plates.

2) don't put butter on the entire piece of bread and eat it like a sandwich. you need to tear off a bite sized piece, butter it, and then eat it...and repeat.

3) always offer the bread to others before you eat it yourself.

4) left hand is for the fork, right hand is for the knife...cut meat, then switch off so your right hand has the fork. eat. cut only one bite sized piece at a time. yes, if you are European, you do not need to switch and i know that but you may come across an executive who doesn't know that and ironically thinks you're the one who is misinformed so play it safe. if you are left handed, you can do everything with the opposite hand. when cutting, your left hand should hold the fork with your index finger pointed down. don't grab the fork with your fist. also, hold your fork right side up. i really dislike it when a person holds their fork backwards (the concave/convex part)...it's rare but i see mistakes in this sometimes. Also...utensils are outside in and the top ones are for dessert.

5) if you need to rest your utensils, put them on your plate so that the dirty part does not go back onto the tablecloth. when they take your plate, they will take your utensils for that course so you don't need them.

6) when leaving your table to go to a restroom, etc...move your napkin from your lap to your chair. Don't put your dirty napkin on the table.

7) Water glass goes on the right side. Don't order alcohol unless the executive offers it first.

8) Don't get too weird and picky about your food "e.g. I want my steak done medium rare but slightly on the rare side but the outside burnt and partially butterflied but not so that the butterflied opening is chared, etc.". If you are vegetarian, just order something that you can eat from the menu. If the menu does not have anything for vegetarians, ask the waiter and they will almost always make a "grilled vegetable" plate for you.

9) Don't order messy stuff like baby back ribs, spaghetti, pizza, etc...unless you're in that kind of restaurant where this is the main feature.

10) If you get wine, the executive will usually order but if he/she asks you to order and you really feel like ordering, find something midrange (in terms of taste and price). I generally stick with a pinot noir at $80 or so but sometimes will ask if the other person is more in the mood for a shirah or cabernet sauvignon. I usually don't order white (usually stick with chardonnay or sauvignon blanc) unless I know the other person prefers it.

RVD.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
RVD wrote:

1) your bread plate is always to your left. don't grab the one on your right because you will screw things up (especially if the table is round). If you forget, just wait until you see other people use their plates.

7) Water glass goes on the right side. Don't order alcohol unless the executive offers it first.

RVD.

A good tip: if you forget, just make little "b" and "d" signs with your hands buy forming a circle with your thumb and index fingers. Your "B" will be on your left hand (bread) and your "D" will be on your right hand (drink).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMATforFal08 wrote:
A good tip: if you forget, just make little "b" and "d" signs with your hands buy forming a circle with your thumb and index fingers. Your "B" will be on your left hand (bread) and your "D" will be on your right hand (drink).

my biggest issue with that is I always go: "Is it bread and drink or beverage and dinner roll?" :P
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
GMATforFal08 wrote:

my biggest issue with that is I always go: "Is it bread and drink or beverage and dinner roll?" :P

i wish i ignored your post, now i will be confused too :/
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
dabots wrote:
kryzak wrote:
GMATforFal08 wrote:

i wish i ignored your post, now i will be confused too :/

I won't say where I heard this so that I don't embarrass myself (okay, it was the John Tesh show), but you should think BMW - bread, meal, water. I haven't forgotten since (and I don't have to use my hands).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
wow, sucks to be a lefty... :P

I'm a European lefty, and I have to admit that I never bothered learning to cut with my right hand. In some very posh circles what I do might be considered rude, but all in all I've almost never had any remarks. If I have any problems in the US, I'll blame the cultural differences :)

I would like to thank pelihu for providing such a deep insight on US etiquette. I was aware of all the points that he made, except the point and shoot one: I thought I misread the first time I read that passage! :lol: I didn't even know that people did that. Talk about cultural differences... (Far Eastern etiquette must be even worse).

I would like to ask a question though: the points that pelihu makes, are they rigorously applied in every circumstance in the US, or is that in an ideal world? For example, putting the butter on your plate first is something you should do, but that I don't bother doing unless I'm having dinner for the first time with my step-family :) What about business dinners?

Thanks for the insight!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
kryzak wrote:
Question for peli, what if you're left handed? Do you cut with your left and hold the fork in the right hand, then switch to eat with the left? :)

No changes if you are left handed. Still cut with the fork in your left hand and knife in the right hand. I think this even applies to the European style.

The "even" made me laugh :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
RVD wrote:
Regarding table manners, I actually think this is very very important. Of course not everyone has great manners but many of the higher level executives have been to many formal dinners so chances are high that you may come across one that is a stickler. And I'll admit, although I'm not a high level exec at a major firm, I'm a bit of a stickler so watching someone make egregious errors makes me cringe a bit inside.

There are many nuances to table manners and you don't need to follow them all but here are some basics:

2) don't put butter on the entire piece of bread and eat it like a sandwich. you need to tear off a bite sized piece, butter it, and then eat it...and repeat.

3) always offer the bread to others before you eat it yourself.

4) left hand is for the fork, right hand is for the knife...cut meat, then switch off so your right hand has the fork. eat. cut only one bite sized piece at a time. yes, if you are European, you do not need to switch and i know that but you may come across an executive who doesn't know that and ironically thinks you're the one who is misinformed so play it safe. if you are left handed, you can do everything with the opposite hand. when cutting, your left hand should hold the fork with your index finger pointed down. don't grab the fork with your fist. also, hold your fork right side up. i really dislike it when a person holds their fork backwards (the concave/convex part)...it's rare but i see mistakes in this sometimes. Also...utensils are outside in and the top ones are for dessert.

5) if you need to rest your utensils, put them on your plate so that the dirty part does not go back onto the tablecloth. when they take your plate, they will take your utensils for that course so you don't need them.

6) when leaving your table to go to a restroom, etc...move your napkin from your lap to your chair. Don't put your dirty napkin on the table.

8) Don't get too weird and picky about your food "e.g. I want my steak done medium rare but slightly on the rare side but the outside burnt and partially butterflied but not so that the butterflied opening is chared, etc.". If you are vegetarian, just order something that you can eat from the menu. If the menu does not have anything for vegetarians, ask the waiter and they will almost always make a "grilled vegetable" plate for you.

9) Don't order messy stuff like baby back ribs, spaghetti, pizza, etc...unless you're in that kind of restaurant where this is the main feature.

10) If you get wine, the executive will usually order but if he/she asks you to order and you really feel like ordering, find something midrange (in terms of taste and price). I generally stick with a pinot noir at $80 or so but sometimes will ask if the other person is more in the mood for a shirah or cabernet sauvignon. I usually don't order white (usually stick with chardonnay or sauvignon blanc) unless I know the other person prefers it.

RVD.

Eating must sometimes be a pretty stressful experience for you! :-D

Kudos though for your insightful post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Berkeley Haas
Send PM
Awesome article !!..Every b-school grad should read this. Thanks Pelihu.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
RVD wrote:

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "hold your fork right side up." I do know that if you're eating meat (or anything that requires you to use stab at your food with the fork,) you are supposed to hold it so that the tines point downward (which would mean the convex part of the fork facing upwards and the concave part facing downwards.)

I personally find the American/"zig-zag" style ridiculous, and I've never been in a situation where the Continental/European style was ever frowned upon.

If you want to be really pretentious, you can pay special attention so that food hardly touches your lips. To do this, you really have to eat food in really small bite-sized amounts (unless you have a HUGE mouth), which is probably a good thing.

RVD wrote:

Some would say a utensil that has been used should NEVER touch the tablecloth, even the clean/handle part.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
xenok wrote:
I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "hold your fork right side up." I do know that if you're eating meat (or anything that requires you to use stab at your food with the fork,) you are supposed to hold it so that the tines point downward (which would mean the convex part of the fork facing upwards and the concave part facing downwards.)

This is also an American/European difference. In the US style, "right side up" would mean with tines pointing upwards. One other US/European difference, in the US you're not supposed to use your knife or anything else to help guide small foods (i.e. peas, corn) onto your fork. I believe in the European style it's considered perfectly ok to use a knife or bread for this. I agree with you xenok, that most businesspeople these days have been exposed to enough international culture to realize that not everyone follows the American eating customs, and wouldn't frown on people following the European style.

xenok wrote:
Some would say a utensil that has been used should NEVER touch the tablecloth, even the clean/handle part.

I have heard the same, with the placement indicating to the waitstaff whether you are finished or still eating (X = still eating, parallel = finished).
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Useful information! Makes me worry a bit about the little knowledge I have about proper etiquette. I may look into getting a book about the basics, as you recommended.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3