GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Feb 2020, 13:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Haas MBA/MPH vs MIT Sloan MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Haas MBA/MPH or MIT Sloan MBA?

• 73% [25]
  • 26% [9]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
WE: Analyst (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Haas MBA/MPH vs MIT Sloan MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2014, 16:10
Hi everyone!

I've been accepted to both the Berkeley Haas MBA/MPH and MIT Sloan MBA and am looking for any advice/guidance that could help me with my decision! If you are/were/are looking to be in the Healthcare industry or are informed about these schools, I'd love to hear your opinion

About me:
Background: born and raised in India, undergrad in Biology from a top tier university on the west coast.
WE: business analyst in project management and operations at a well known pharmaceutical company in the bay area for 2.5 years.
Been in the bay area for almost 7 years now.
LT Goal: I'm interested in global health and increasing global health delivery through health technology and medical devices, particularly in underdeveloped and rural environments. Down the line, I'm interested in working at a foundation such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, in the field of global health.
ST Goal: I'd like to work in business development/strategy/market planning in a global medical devices company such as GE Healthcare, Medtronic or JnJ, likely on the west coast, ideally for products aimed at developing economies so that I can transition to working in India, if I want to. Alternatively, I'm also interested in healthcare targeted CSR at a global company. I am however, flexible to opportunities that would lead me to my LT goal.

Haas MBA/MPH:
Pros:
- 2 degrees, 2 internships - opportunity to learn more through MPH, relevant to my goals in public health
- well established program (~30 years)
- better healthcare environment: tighter knit healthcare community etc.
- better healthcare coursework: significantly higher number of classes to take due to intersection of business and public health schools
- Establish recruiting for above companies and other healthcare related companies
- better weather!
Cons:
- Brand is less globally known

Sloan:
Pros:
- Better brand, MIT is known everywhere, including India
- Rigorous quantitative education, known to be one of the most challenging MBAs
- larger student body
- Better relationship between MIT at large, better partnerships through i-teams etc.
- better "labs", including global health
Cons:
- Healthcare certificate was JUST launched, untested
- Limited healthcare coursework
- recruiting not as good as Haas in healthcare
- East coast winter!

Honestly, I don't think there's a wrong decision, both are amazing schools and programs but are there other factors I should consider?
Any advice is helpful!

Thanks!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Haas MBA/MPH vs MIT Sloan MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 03:58
stib45 wrote:
Sloan:
Pros:
- Better brand, MIT is known everywhere, including India
- Rigorous quantitative education, known to be one of the most challenging MBAs
- larger student body
- Better relationship between MIT at large, better partnerships through i-teams etc.
- better "labs", including global health
Cons:
- Healthcare certificate was JUST launched, untested
- Limited healthcare coursework
- recruiting not as good as Haas in healthcare
- East coast winter!

This is an easy choice. Go with Haas MBA/MPH. It fits in perfectly with your goals whereas your pros for MIT are somewhat generic. For example, I am sure Haas's curriculum is rigorous enough and will not be a huge egative compared with MIT. As for brand recognition, that by itself is just not enough to offset the recruiting advantage you would have at Haas for your target companies.
VP
VP
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 09:42
I'm an Indian, interested in medical devices, have exact same goals, and I'm waitlisted at Haas. So... my perfectly objective advice is that you should pick Sloan.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 18:12
Hi;

Go with MIT better brand and very famous in India specially Bangalore. I guess they have regular sessions of executive education in India. You will find a lot of indian professors at MIT.

:-D
Best of Luck
Intern
Intern
Schools: AGSM '16

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2014, 08:37
Hi- I think my post got deleted or didnt post at all. I think both are good schools. However, I would choose Haas hands down. Bay area is awesome. Boston is not so close to it unless you are talking about HBS. I have a friend who went to Sloan, and he considered the community sub-optimal. He gave me really good reasons why he thought so. He even thought how some people got in to MIT (He has dinged by Haas). From my experience visiting both schools in Dec, Haas is very engaging. You can find out about it during the admit weekend. I am going to apply this Fall. :-) I would say go to Haas. :D Haas has good presence in health care. It's surprising that you didn't apply to Duke. Duke is supposed to be the strongest program in healthcare. Please keep us posted with your decision! I would love to hear.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2014, 01:13
Congratulations for making it to MIT and Haas. Both the programs are exceptional in there own way. As far as your post mba goals are considered, the MBA/MPH program at Haas looks slightly better. The brand of MIT is difficult to overlook, but with a program tailor-made for individuals interested health management, your goals of working in public health can be better met with the Master of Public Health degree which you will recieve in addition to the MBA at Haas. So, i would recommend you to go with Haas here.

Good Luck!
http://www.interviewbay.com
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2014, 10:53
Berkeley is known to companies that you would want to work :). Berkeley has smaller class size which can be helpful while recruiting.
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2014, 11:19
Generally I think the "brand" aspect of an MBA is a hard thing to measure and overall people weight it too much. After you get a post-MBA job the "brand" aspect of your MBA matters a lot less than job and continues to decrease in importance as time passes.

I think the better thing to evaluate is what opportunities you would have to make connections or intern in your area of choice and ultimately where you have a better chance of getting the job you want. If those are equal for both schools, then you can go ahead and consider other things like location / culture/ etc. . . at least, that would be my ranking.

I am currently a first year at Haas but not an MPH and don't know the Health industry well so really can't comment on if Haas or MIT would be better. Just trying to provide some perspective on the merits of an MBA program's brand.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
WE: Analyst (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2014, 21:55
Thank you all for your comments and opinions! I decided to go with Haas! Really looking forward :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Haas MBA/MPH vs MIT Sloan MBA   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2014, 21:55

Haas MBA/MPH vs MIT Sloan MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste