GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 04:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas vs. Tuck for Venture Capital VC

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Haas vs. Tuck for Venture Capital VC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2015, 18:28
Hello All!

I have been fortunate enough to be accepted into 2 amazing MBA programs (Haas and Tuck). I am very into small programs, which is why I chose to apply to the 2. I am looking to transition into Venture Capital in the long-run. I have no banking/consulting/tech experience so I understand that I most likely need to do something relevant to Venture Capital/Tech immediately after post-MBA in order to transition into Venture Capital. However, if I can get into VC immediately after school, that would be preferential.

All that being said, between Tuck and Haas, which of the 2 would provide the best opportunities for VC (either immediately after school or down the line a couple years after school)? I know Haas has a strong presence in Tech, but it seems like the Tuck network is tighter, which is definitely helpful in a hard-to-break-into industry like VC. From my research on the Employment Stats at each of the schools, Tuck seems to place a greater percentage of students into Private Equity (which includes VC), although both numbers are pretty small in the grand scheme of things (5% for Tuck, 2% for Haas).

Also, my location preferences are SF, LA, NYC, and Boston.

Any insights would be helpful! Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 10:56
I would go for Haas, the rankings difference is negligible and since you didn't mention money I'm going to assume that's a non-factor as well. However since Haas is near Sand Hill and all the major VC's you're going to have a much better networking opportunities than you would in Hanover. I'm sure Tuck places well, especially on the East Coast, however if VC is your endgame you really can't beat Silicon Valley.
Intern
Intern
Re: Haas vs. Tuck for Venture Capital VC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 19:30
dmarkham28 - thanks for the reply and congrats on Anderson!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 3.15
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 11:02
Tuck. Better school. Better brand. GREAT FANTASTIC alumni base.

VC is really a hard job to get. You need the pre-mba experience. It is not the kind of job you can get without pre-mba experience. The school wont get you the job. So if you are a person who has the background then you can go to either school and get a VC job. But unless you are that person its going to be really hard. Go to the better school.

I bet Hass has better look females and great weather.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 11:13
dontquixote wrote:
Tuck. Better school. Better brand. GREAT FANTASTIC alumni base.

VC is really a hard job to get. You need the pre-mba experience. It is not the kind of job you can get without pre-mba experience. The school wont get you the job. So if you are a person who has the background then you can go to either school and get a VC job. But unless you are that person its going to be really hard. Go to the better school.

This literally could not be further from the truth.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 3.15
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 11:29
This is what Sandy Kreisburg from poets and Quant aka hbsguru thinks about VC jobs. Feel free to disagree. But if you are a fan of or know about the 'handicapping your mba odds' series, the hbs guru thinks so

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2015, 10:26
I would say these are peer schools although some may disagree, but will definitely give the slight edge to the strength/loyalty of the alumni network to Tuck. Tuck doesn't place much on the west coast besides PE/VC, booths been gaining traction in tech due to their west coast trek. Having most of their west coast alumni in PE/VC may give you an advantage as well as having the Center for PE/Entrepreneurship as a resource. If you had prior relevant experience before this (e.g., banking/consulting/tech), I would of definitely said Tuck, but since you don't, I would think the odds of going straight to VC from either of these schools is going to be slim. Haas has the advantage of getting you any of that experience while keeping you close to the VC firms to strengthen and/or build your network. I love Tuck as a school and am applying there later this year, but Haas is definitely better for your situation.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 23:11
Yes, I'm partial, but the VC and tech connections at Haas are very strong. Through faculty, alumni and program-related elements there are some great opportunities here. I'm in the EMBA program and the access to founders and VC's is deep and frequent.

You're best bet is to talk with current students in the programs to which you've been accepted and get their perspectives.

Good luck and congrats on two great options!
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 14:20
Hi lilb837
Although I like Tuck a lot, if I were you I would choose Haas. It is in the west coast and VC funds tend to feed on the West coast.
Haas is tech school. so the logic behind looks like Haas->West Coast&Tech->VC which is not the same for Tuck.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 16:41
dsb Very insightful points, thanks!

dontquixote - Thanks. Your reasons are why I'm leaning towards Tuck. Chances are that I'll have to get a typical VC-feeder career (tech banking, consulting [Tuck does very well in this], or start-up [Haas probably better for this]) immediately post-MBA to make the logical shift to VC a couple years afterwards. I feel like the strength of the Tuck network in these careers may make up for its location compared to Haas, but I may be wrong. Just by some googling around, it does seem like there's more partners at VC's who are Tuckies vs. VC's who went to Haas, although it seems that a lot of VC's did their undergrad at Haas. Would undergrads of a particular school be willing to help out MBA alums?

PTK Thanks. I remember seeing you around in the Tuck admit thread, so there's a chance we can be classmates! What about East Coast opportunities? Do you know if Tuck places well for VC-feeder careers (tech banking, start-ups) in the East Coast. I know there's a big VC/start-up community in both Boston and NYC, and I am open to those locations as well.
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 22:54
lilb837
I was denied at Tuck, so it was someone else.
Yes, there's a big VC/start-up community in both Boston and NYC. But I dont know specifics. About Haas/Tuck I was speaking from general understanding.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 18:45
In our experience, we've seen the most success in securing a post-MBA position in VC by those students who have done something entrepreneurial during their 2 years in school (and preferably before). VCs are increasingly opting towards former-entrepreneurs/ early employees at startups rather than former "feeders" such as bankers/ consultants.

To that end, we believe Haas, with its proximity to the valley, would provide you with greater exposure and support in finding entrepreneurial opportunities (whether joining a startup or starting something of your own). To better inform your decision, you could use LinkedIn's advanced search capabilities to see which alumni network has a greater presence in VC in the geography of your choice (SV, NYC, etc).

--
Hey Ivy: Admissions Advice from Current Students at Top Business Schools
HeyIvy.com
$5 off first video chat with code "GMATCLUB"

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 18:46
In our experience, we've seen the most success in securing post-MBA positions in VC by those students who have done something entrepreneurial during their 2 years in school (and preferably before). VCs are increasingly opting towards former-entrepreneurs/ early employees at startups rather than former "feeders" such as bankers/ consultants.

To that end, we believe Haas, with its proximity to the valley, would provide you with greater exposure and support in finding entrepreneurial opportunities (whether joining a startup or starting something of your own). To better inform your decision, you could use LinkedIn's advanced search capabilities to see which alumni network has a greater presence in VC in the geography of your choice (SV, NYC, etc).

--
Hey Ivy: Admissions Advice from Current Students at Top Business Schools
HeyIvy.com
$5 off first video chat with code "GMATCLUB"

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.7
WE: Human Resources (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 14:14
Hi lilb837,

What a great problem to have - congratulations on getting into 2 great schools.

Have you reached out to current Tuck and Haas students with similar interests? I would try to "reality-test" your assumptions about each school - an insider perspective would probably be best!

Get free school selection help at Touch MBA

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 23:55
Berkeley Haas. This isn't even a close call, tbh.
Its location -- the Mecca of startups and VC -- and its strong alumni in VC, will link you up easily to the right people.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 22:57
Hey Friends,

It was indeed a very insightful thread discussing the better B-school for VC, but although I am into one of the earliest small deep tech fund in India, Would want to know my chances to get into US B-schools?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Haas vs. Tuck for Venture Capital VC &nbs [#permalink] 29 Nov 2018, 22:57

Haas vs. Tuck for Venture Capital VC

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap