GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 12:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Have I locked myself into waiting an additional year?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Have I locked myself into waiting an additional year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 20:55
So I graduated Uni in 2014: business degree, below average GPA but pretty good GMAT. I went on to work a year internationally in the industry I want to ultimately end up in (though on the agency side with a startup company rather than on product side). I then got the opportunity to work product side (small startup again) in the US for 1.5 years before recently getting an offer to move up into a global media agency a month or two ago.

Ultimately this last move was because my new role is an awesome position to learn a lot in my chosen profession and meet plenty of people. But because I have just started work here I'm afraid I've locked myself into waiting another year before applying to MBA programs as I would have 1 year, 1.5 years, and 1.5 years work experience.

GOAL: I have known I've wanted an MBA for 3 years, and I've known this whole time I've wanted to do brand management in the gaming industry. I have been talking to people at my target companies for years and applying here and there for years. So my question basically boils down to two notes:

1) FOR MBA - would it look bad to be applying again this fall even though I've had a clear path (and have recommendations from everywhere I worked)?
2) FOR WORK - Can justify all these 1-2 year stints when networking for an internship or job interview post MBA with these companies by saying that this entire time has been me trying to join their team and you can see that by the conversations I've had and paperwork of applications over the years?

I know this was a little disjointed sorry it's hard to articulate over text my situation but wanted to hear you all's insights.

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Coaching
Re: Have I locked myself into waiting an additional year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 10:21
Same QUERY posted twice in different forums!!!

https://gmatclub.com/forum/do-i-need-to ... 43281.html

Check my Blog for Stellar MBA Admit Testimonials
| Top 5 MBA admissions consulting since 2006 | >95% success rate |
| First essay GRATIS | Pay what you want thereafter | email: jeffrey.adcom@gmail.com

If this response helped you, please give the post a KUDOS!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Have I locked myself into waiting an additional year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jun 2017, 22:47
jeffreyadcom wrote:
Same QUERY posted twice in different forums!!!

https://gmatclub.com/forum/do-i-need-to ... 43281.html

You're an excitable fella aren't ya? I posted it twice because the audience is *supposed* to be more diverse than just you between admissions consultants who would have one viewpoint and fellow applicants who would have another. If you think seeking different perspectives is wacky I don't know what I can do for you.

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Originally posted by redfield on 24 Jun 2017, 15:44.
Last edited by redfield on 24 Jun 2017, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 16:03
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background. As long as you are able to explain why you made the moves that you did and are able to "connect the dots" between those roles and what you would like to do post-MBA, it should not be a problem either for the MBA or for work. I have worked with candidates in the past who changed roles/jobs right before application deadlines, so in my view, it is not necessary to wait another year to apply. The most important thing will be to clearly convey your story and to answer the "why" (i.e., why you changed roles/jobs).

I hope this helps - if you would like to discuss further, feel to free to reach out at info@ivygroupe.com or https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact.

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Coaching

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 18:43
Cheers Your highness! I meant I had already posted a response elsewhere to the same query. I couldn't guess there might be dedicated fan following for different threads.

redfield wrote:

You're an excitable fella aren't ya? I posted it twice because the audience is *supposed* to be more diverse than you and your exclamations between admissions consultants who would have one viewpoint and fellow applicants who would have another. If you think seeking different perspectives is wacky I don't know what I can do for you.

Check my Blog for Stellar MBA Admit Testimonials
| Top 5 MBA admissions consulting since 2006 | >95% success rate |
| First essay GRATIS | Pay what you want thereafter | email: jeffrey.adcom@gmail.com

If this response helped you, please give the post a KUDOS!

MBA Admissions Consultant
B
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 03:49
It should be ok for you to apply now - make sure you explain clearly why you've made the changes you did. Also talk about what you expect to achieve in the year leading up to your enrolment. If that story makes sense, the school should have no problem overlooking the fact that you've just started at a new job.

About how companies would perceive your frequent changes - yes, that will be a weakness - but you should be able to circumvent that by explaining your position clearly. Every job applicant has weaknesses - so its up to you to find a company that weighs your strengths more than your weaknesses.

Best,
Karthik

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Have I locked myself into waiting an additional year? &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jun 2017, 03:49

Have I locked myself into waiting an additional year?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap