Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Highly Rated Prep Course or In-depth Prep Course? [#permalink]
adkor95 wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:
adkor95 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm sitting my first GMAT this summer and I'm aiming for 700+ to get into a M7 MBA program.

Focusing on quant, which is my weakness, what your thought are on signing up to a a highly-rated online course (e.g. Target Test Prep) vs a lesser-known, cheaper course that includes weekly tutoring sessions (e.g. GMAT Whiz)? The main reason is the depth that a tutor can provide, that I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford with a highly rated course (often $300+ per session).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Honestly, I guess both the courses you mentioned are well know. I have been using TTP for quite sometime and it proved to be really good for me. You can always try free trial courses and figure out.

There are free webinars as well that these companies (both GMATWhiz and TTP apart from others) offer regularly. You can join in those to understand more about them.

I didn't really know about the weekly tutoring sessions though that you are referring to. Is it included in the online course prize they offer? Is it one-one tutoring or in an online class?

Hey - it's not so much weekly, but rather one-to-one sessions.

GMATWhiz is well-known, but there's a lot less reviews and it doesn't really rank on Google. The fact that it's a GMATClub partner also means that it's high-quality, so it's hard to make a decision vs the number 1 ranked course on GMATclub (TTP).

Wow!! one-one sessions. Check with them if they are just to provide the feedback or address your queries in the session and that would they take up general questions other than the ones they have in their course during that session etc. It doesn't certainly feel right to me. But I can say one thing for sure, that even GMATWhiz is good. I have tried their free trial and have attended few Webinars during the weekends and they seem to be pretty good.

Ofcourse having said so, I have personally tried TTP and it worked pretty well for me. So, try out GMATWhiz's webinar tomorrow and day after and give their course a free trial as well. May be you can then figure out on your own then.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the advice - will do.

I'll see how it goes, as I've had a demo 1-to-1 (which covered general and specific course content) and I'm on a 5-day trial with TTP.

The TTP platform seemed a lot more developed, functionality wise and is similar to what I've used for other standardised tests. But the demo session really showed me the value of having someone work through weaknesses with you.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi adkor95,

I can understand the dilemma that you're in at the moment, so let me add a different perspective to look at this picture. GMATWhiz clearly is a new entrant to the market, and hence it is natural to have some concerns, but let me add some points.

1. The tutor that you had a demo session with has 10+ yrs of teaching experience and you have noticed the quality yourself. The only reason we offer the sessions at a steal is because we are new and we need to get more success stories. So, we are literally offering the session on cost-to-cost basis.
    2. The fact that we are new is a boon for our students as we want to prove the worth of our course and hence we always go that extra mile to help out our students. Every student is important for us.
    3. No doubt TTP is a good course, but I would recommend that you also check out the free trial version of GMATWhiz course to get an idea about how we teach. I'm sure you will love the pedagogy as you liked the session.
    4. GMATWhiz is new but the tutors aren't. The tutors at GMATWhiz have previously worked for top companies for years, so our methods are tried and tested. In fact, we have tried to better the methods from our experience. Also as I mentioned, Saquib has been teaching many European students. If you want I can get you in touch with some of these students, so that you can take some feedback from them directly.
    5. Working with a tutor gives you the extra edge as he can identify the core reasons behind the mistakes that you do and guide you accordingly. Your learning is much more effective this way as you work on exact pain points.

I hope the above points help you in arriving at a decision. Please check out the free trial of GMATWhiz course as well. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. I am happy to help.

Regards,
Piyush Beriwala
GMAT Strategy Consultant
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shameekv1989 wrote:
adkor95 wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

Honestly, I guess both the courses you mentioned are well know. I have been using TTP for quite sometime and it proved to be really good for me. You can always try free trial courses and figure out.

There are free webinars as well that these companies (both GMATWhiz and TTP apart from others) offer regularly. You can join in those to understand more about them.

I didn't really know about the weekly tutoring sessions though that you are referring to. Is it included in the online course prize they offer? Is it one-one tutoring or in an online class?

Hey - it's not so much weekly, but rather one-to-one sessions.

GMATWhiz is well-known, but there's a lot less reviews and it doesn't really rank on Google. The fact that it's a GMATClub partner also means that it's high-quality, so it's hard to make a decision vs the number 1 ranked course on GMATclub (TTP).

Wow!! one-one sessions. Check with them if they are just to provide the feedback or address your queries in the session and that would they take up general questions other than the ones they have in their course during that session etc. It doesn't certainly feel right to me. But I can say one thing for sure, that even GMATWhiz is good. I have tried their free trial and have attended few Webinars during the weekends and they seem to be pretty good.

Ofcourse having said so, I have personally tried TTP and it worked pretty well for me. So, try out GMATWhiz's webinar tomorrow and day after and give their course a free trial as well. May be you can then figure out on your own then.

Hi shameekv1989. I'm glad to know that you benefited from our free webinars. We do our best to help students learn the right strategies, so that they can prepare for GMAT effectively.

So, in addition to the online course that we offer, we also offer Private Tutoring courses. Since you don't seem to know much about this offering of ours, please allow me to share some information that you might find useful.

The Private tutoring sessions are one-on-one sessions with our experts. The same experts who take the webinars (Saquib for Quant and Sunita for Verbal) take the private tutoring sessions. When you take a Private tutoring course, your tutor helps you with your study plan and closely monitors your progress regularly from the data captured on the online portal. You complete the homework before each session by going through the suggested part of the course and then the expert looks at your performance on the portal before every session to figure out why are you struggling, if you're struggling. The discussion in the session is hence personalized, so it could be around concepts, methodology, and even helping you solve questions from other sources outside of GMATWhiz if you come up with doubts on them. The idea is to help you where you need it. So, the agenda of each session is dictated by your performance.

In short, the tutor will do everything required to help you succeed on GMAT. Since we are new we charge $50 for a 1.5 hr tutoring session, so effectively you end up paying around $35 per hour only. Most of our students are connected with us on https://gmatclub.com/chat/Facebook and we are more than happy to provide them support there if needed. The tutor customizes the plan when needed and specially during the final stages when you probably need more hand-holding for analyzing your performance in mocks and other sectional tests.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps you get some idea about our Private tutoring services too. Thanks again for vouching for our webinars :)

Regards,
Piyush Beriwala
GMAT Strategy Consultant
GMATWhiz
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi adkor95,

Based on all of the information that you have provided (including in a prior post here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/help-550-to- ... 20034.html), it's not clear whether you actually "need" a tutor or not. Since you recently took your 2nd CAT, we can analyze that result to define what you should be focused on at this point.

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi adkor95,

I know that we’ve already connected, so I’m happy to see that you’ve opted to take the 5-day trial. Also, in addition to chatting with folks here, feel free to take a look at the many reviews we have from past students here on GMAT club:

https://gmatclub.com/reviews/target-tes ... 85?fl=menu

Of course, if you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Let’s do this!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
adkor95 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm sitting my first GMAT this summer and I'm aiming for 700+ to get into a M7 MBA program.

Focusing on quant, which is my weakness, what your thought are on signing up to a a highly-rated online course (e.g. Target Test Prep) vs a lesser-known, cheaper course that includes weekly tutoring sessions (e.g. GMAT Whiz)? The main reason is the depth that a tutor can provide, that I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford with a highly rated course (often $300+ per session).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Go for Target Test prep. The course covers every topic thoroughly.
Best course for Quant.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi adkor95,

I know that we’ve already connected, so I’m happy to see that you’ve opted to take the 5-day trial. Also, in addition to chatting with folks here, feel free to take a look at the many reviews we have from past students here on GMAT club:

Of course, if you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Let’s do this!!

Thanks Scott - I've seen a lot of supportive comments, including your replies as well. I've just tested out the 5-day trial and already feel the improvements of the basic concepts, as well as a lot more specific, focused questions that are refining my processes and removing anxiety around DS questions.

I'll be signing up to the full course shortly.
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkor95 wrote:
Hi adkor95,

Let’s do this!!

Thanks Scott - I've seen a lot of supportive comments, including your replies as well. I've just tested out the 5-day trial and already feel the improvements of the basic concepts, as well as a lot more specific, focused questions that are refining my processes and removing anxiety around DS questions.

I'll be signing up to the full course shortly.

Awesome!! I'm here if you need me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
hi adkor95,

Which course did you pick ..gmatwhiz or TTP ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nr09 wrote:
hi adkor95,

Which course did you pick ..gmatwhiz or TTP ?

Went with TTP - super helpful, helped me climb from Q22 to Q44 (mbaPrep) and currently hovering around Q41. This isn't to say GMATwhiz isn't helpful (who knows if I'd be scoring Q51?), but TTP was definitely very well structured. There isn't enough emphasis on conceptually/strategic thinking though - such as MGMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: ISB '24
Send PM
Hey adkor95,

How helpful was TTP with respect to your verbal preparation?
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sakshi1995 wrote:
Hey adkor95,

Have you had a chance to check out our trial?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: ISB '24
Send PM
sakshi1995 wrote:
Hey adkor95,

Have you had a chance to check out our trial?

Hi. No, I haven't.

I was looking to schedule a call with someone from the team to understand if TTP will suit my situation.

Posted from my mobile device
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sakshi1995 wrote:
Hey adkor95,

Hi Sakshi1995,

For GMAT Verbal, it is very important that you follow the right methodology and the logical approach. Your focus has to be on eliminating four incorrect choices rather than choosing the right one. The key is to develop a solid understanding of the concepts that are typically tested on the GMAT and master the process skills that are required to solve GMAT questions. Only then, you will be able to smartly avoid the traps set by the test makers.

Verbal questions on GMAT are very tricky. For example,

• In SC, you have to read the sentence from the meaning standpoint and then start looking at the grammatical errors.
  • In CR, you have to understand the argument, identify the premise and the conclusion and then pre-think the answer before looking at the solutions.
  • In RC, you need to have the right reading strategies to understand the inferences which are not directly stated in the passage.

I’d recommend you to follow this order for the verbal part - SC->CR-RC. The reason for this is very specific. Each question type on the GMAT is testing a specific skill. SC tests your comprehension skills. CR tests comprehension & analytical skills. Finally, RC builds on the previous two skills and also tests your ability to be able to grasp the central point of the passage i.e. Your inferential skills. Thus, when you learn in this order, it's much more effective.

GMATWhiz follows a structured and methodical way of teaching things, which makes the learning process simpler and efficient. It also helps you to develop an understanding of the test maker’s intention behind asking the question. It uses an AI powered learning platform to provide you with real time improvement modules after every practice quiz. It provides you with additional concept videos and practise quizzes which helps you overcome your weaker areas in a specific topic right away without having to put in additional effort to identify your weaker areas.

You can check out GMATWhiz and go for its Verbal Prep Course.

Here’s a link to our free trial – https://learn.gmatwhiz.com/?page=signup

You can also check the reviews on the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/reviews/gmatwhiz-345345722?fl=menu

Hope this helped and feel free to contact if you have any queries.

You can always write back to me here or the better way would be to connect over a call and have a discussion. You can schedule a free consultation call using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot