GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 09:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
D
Joined: 17 May 2015
Posts: 246
Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 23:17
5
11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:52) correct 49% (01:55) wrong based on 563 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they hear, picturing for themselves such dramatic elements as characters’ physical appearances and spatial relationships. Hence, while earlier generations, for whom radio drama was the dominant form of popular entertainment, regularly exercised their imaginations, today’s generation of television viewers do so less frequently.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the historian’s argument?

(A) People spend as much time watching television today as people spent listening to radio in radio’s heyday.

(B) The more familiar a form of popular entertainment becomes, the less likely its consumers are to exercise their imaginations.

(C) Because it inhibits the development of creativity, television is a particularly undesirable form of popular entertainment.

(D) For today’s generation of television viewers, nothing fills the gap left by radio as a medium for exercising the imagination.

(E) Television drama does not require its viewers to think about what they see.

Source: LSAT 60
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 387
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 21:06
1
I would go with option D as it clearly states the assumption as to why the author thinks that today's generation use less of their imagination.



Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jun 2017
Posts: 49
Location: United Kingdom
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 08:00
Is E wrong because of the 'drama' bit after Television? In the argument we are concerned with tv viewers, but the AC narrows it to TV drama viewers?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Dec 2017
Posts: 7
Location: India
Schools: ISB '20 (II)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.9
Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Mar 2018, 12:47
3
stickman wrote:
Is E wrong because of the 'drama' bit after Television? In the argument we are concerned with tv viewers, but the AC narrows it to TV drama viewers?


I was also stuck between D and E, and then realized that probably the key here is 'imagination' and not just mere 'thinking'. Because D plugs in the gap about the lack of imagination, whereas E is just making a generalised statement, requiring us to make the additional assumption that 'thinking' about something must be a part of 'imagination', I went for D.

Originally posted by carolinexi on 10 Mar 2018, 12:34.
Last edited by carolinexi on 10 Mar 2018, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jun 2017
Posts: 49
Location: United Kingdom
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 12:39
carolinexi wrote:
stickman wrote:
Is E wrong because of the 'drama' bit after Television? In the argument we are concerned with tv viewers, but the AC narrows it to TV drama viewers?


I was also stuck between D and E, and then realized that probably the key here is 'imagination' and not just mere 'thinking'. Because D plugs in the gap about the lack of imagination, whereas D is just making a generalised statement, requiring us to make the additional assumption that 'thinking' about something must be a part of 'imagination', I went for D.


Ah yes - okay that is a much stronger case for why E is wrong than what I had thought.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 May 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 09:27
1
Between E and D: E contradicts the information in the para. The para says "today’s generation of television viewers exercise their imagination less frequently". Nowhere it says that the tv viewers don't exercise the imagination at all. Also, the language of E makes a bit of broader stretch from "using imagination" wording to "not think about what they see". All from above makes E incorrect.
LBS Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 649
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 11:05
1
nightblade354

Mate, I think I found another LSAT problem.

(I come across most of these via the "Daily Practice Questions" functions)

Regards,
Chris
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Mar 2015
Posts: 29
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 23:52
I will go with option D as it talks about imagination, option E instead talks about thinking.
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 780
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 12:53
Bumping this one for discussion as well. Really a great LSAT question that forces you to not make further assumptions.
_________________
D-Day: November 18th, 2017

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 168
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2019, 04:54
ganand wrote:
Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they hear, picturing for themselves such dramatic elements as characters’ physical appearances and spatial relationships. Hence, while earlier generations, for whom radio drama was the dominant form of popular entertainment, regularly exercised their imaginations, today’s generation of television viewers do so less frequently.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the historian’s argument?

(A) People spend as much time watching television today as people spent listening to radio in radio’s heyday.

(B) The more familiar a form of popular entertainment becomes, the less likely its consumers are to exercise their imaginations.

(C) Because it inhibits the development of creativity, television is a particularly undesirable form of popular entertainment.

(D) For today’s generation of television viewers, nothing fills the gap left by radio as a medium for exercising the imagination.

(E) Television drama does not require its viewers to think about what they see.

Source: LSAT 60



Dissecting given options:
A). No comparison of time given. Out of scope.
B). Again, not stated anywhere. Out of scope.
C). Judgement. Not in the passage.
D). Let's counter this: If something else is filling the gap and lets people exercise their imaginations (eg.- iPad, smartphones, PC, etc.); then only would the author's argument be valid. This is precisely the option we are looking for. CORRECT.
E). It says 'does not' whereas the author is assuming 'less than what radio drama does'. You get the point.

Hope it helps.
_________________
Hit Kudos to keep the community alive !
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 168
Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2019, 04:56
stickman wrote:
carolinexi wrote:
stickman wrote:
Is E wrong because of the 'drama' bit after Television? In the argument we are concerned with tv viewers, but the AC narrows it to TV drama viewers?


I was also stuck between D and E, and then realized that probably the key here is 'imagination' and not just mere 'thinking'. Because D plugs in the gap about the lack of imagination, whereas D is just making a generalised statement, requiring us to make the additional assumption that 'thinking' about something must be a part of 'imagination', I went for D.


Ah yes - okay that is a much stronger case for why E is wrong than what I had thought.



D). Let's counter this: If something else is filling the gap and lets people exercise their imaginations (eg.- iPad, smartphones, PC, etc.); then only would the author's argument be valid. This is precisely the option we are looking for. CORRECT.
E). It says 'does not' whereas the author is assuming 'less than what radio drama does'. You get the point.

Hope it helps.
_________________
Hit Kudos to keep the community alive !
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Apr 2018
Posts: 16
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 05:27
I can't grasp why D. As I've understood, the argument says that viewers do exercises of imagination merely less frequently; it doesn't mean that people stopped doing the picturing. If we negate option D, it says "something fills the gap left by radio as a medium for exercising the imagination" So what? Something fills the gap but probably people are not interested in picturing dramatic elements?
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4774
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 08:22
popovarseniy wrote:
I can't grasp why D. As I've understood, the argument says that viewers do exercises of imagination merely less frequently; it doesn't mean that people stopped doing the picturing. If we negate option D, it says "something fills the gap left by radio as a medium for exercising the imagination" So what? Something fills the gap but probably people are not interested in picturing dramatic elements?


The author states : People are not using creative power/imagination for visualizing characters’ physical appearances and spatial relationships in today’s generation of television viewers as they did during the radio listeners of earlier times...

Now comes the point : Mark the word , today’s generation of television viewers , it doesn't mention TV viewers, it generalizes hence, generation of television viewers may include iPad users , smartphones users , PC users , etc. and mark my words there are opportunities for imagination....

What do you say about an Audio Book ? (There are many here http://www.loyalbooks.com/ )....

Thus, (D) can not be negated and must be our Answer !!!!
_________________
Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2019, 08:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne