GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 10:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
D
Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 23:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:19) correct 52% (01:23) wrong based on 281 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they hear, picturing for themselves such dramatic elements as characters’ physical appearances and spatial relationships. Hence, while earlier generations, for whom radio drama was the dominant form of popular entertainment, regularly exercised their imaginations, today’s generation of television viewers do so less frequently.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the historian’s argument?

(A) People spend as much time watching television today as people spent listening to radio in radio’s heyday.

(B) The more familiar a form of popular entertainment becomes, the less likely its consumers are to exercise their imaginations.

(C) Because it inhibits the development of creativity, television is a particularly undesirable form of popular entertainment.

(D) For today’s generation of television viewers, nothing fills the gap left by radio as a medium for exercising the imagination.

(E) Television drama does not require its viewers to think about what they see.

Source: LSAT 60
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 21:06
I would go with option D as it clearly states the assumption as to why the author thinks that today's generation use less of their imagination.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 08:00
Is E wrong because of the 'drama' bit after Television? In the argument we are concerned with tv viewers, but the AC narrows it to TV drama viewers?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.9
Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Mar 2018, 12:47
stickman wrote:
Is E wrong because of the 'drama' bit after Television? In the argument we are concerned with tv viewers, but the AC narrows it to TV drama viewers?

I was also stuck between D and E, and then realized that probably the key here is 'imagination' and not just mere 'thinking'. Because D plugs in the gap about the lack of imagination, whereas E is just making a generalised statement, requiring us to make the additional assumption that 'thinking' about something must be a part of 'imagination', I went for D.

Originally posted by carolinexi on 10 Mar 2018, 12:34.
Last edited by carolinexi on 10 Mar 2018, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V34
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 12:39
carolinexi wrote:
stickman wrote:

I was also stuck between D and E, and then realized that probably the key here is 'imagination' and not just mere 'thinking'. Because D plugs in the gap about the lack of imagination, whereas D is just making a generalised statement, requiring us to make the additional assumption that 'thinking' about something must be a part of 'imagination', I went for D.

Ah yes - okay that is a much stronger case for why E is wrong than what I had thought.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 09:27
Between E and D: E contradicts the information in the para. The para says "today’s generation of television viewers exercise their imagination less frequently". Nowhere it says that the tv viewers don't exercise the imagination at all. Also, the language of E makes a bit of broader stretch from "using imagination" wording to "not think about what they see". All from above makes E incorrect.
Re: Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they &nbs [#permalink] 21 Mar 2018, 09:27

Historian: Radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap