It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 17:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Huge solar panels often constitute the most conspicuous component of a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Huge solar panels often constitute the most conspicuous component of a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 22:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (00:45) correct 62% (00:57) wrong based on 140 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Huge solar panels often constitute the most conspicuous component of a spacecraft, as large sails billowing on a 19th-century sea vessel.

a) as large sails billowing on a 19th-century sea vessel
b) as large sails that billowed on a 19th-century sea vessel
c) as did large sails billowing on a 19th-century sea vessel
d) like large sails billowing on a 19th-century sea vessel
e) like large sails did that billowed on a 19th-century sea vessel
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Last edited by broall on 11 Aug 2017, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question

Manager
Manager
G

Re: Huge solar panels often constitute the most conspicuous component of a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 22:11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mikemcgarry : Hey Mike, I was wondering whether you could help me with this. In one of your lessons, I remember that you mentioned that the construction: Preposition + Noun + Participle is not considered correct on the gmat- the reson being that too much action was being crammed in a few words. In this question, a similar construction is happening in the Choice D, which also happens to be the correct answer. Is it safe to assume that this question has been wrongly framed. In my opinion, the best answer out of the remaining asnswer choices should be C. Can you help please. Thanks

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 477

CAT Tests
Re: Huge solar panels often constitute the most conspicuous component of a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 23:13
Experts-could you please explain why C can't be the correct answer?

GMATNinja, Sayantan, Chetan2u

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 477

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 23:48
This post received
KUDOS
I would go with the choice D. Here is a quote from the gmat club's "Ultimate GMAT grammer" p54 as an explanation:

"The word like is very often misused in conversational English. In written English, like is traditionally used as a preposition (different from like the verb), while as is a conjunction (clause connector).

Like is used to compare only nouns (i.e. use like to say two things are similar, and let the clause that follows tell how they are similar).

The earth, like other planets, spins on an axis.
Like other planets, the earth spins on an axis.

As is used to compare clauses (i.e. use as if two actions are similar).

A globe spins around an axis, as does the Earth itself."

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 49

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 09:58
I agree that the OA should be (C). "billowing", in my opinion, makes the second part of the sentence a clause. This makes the use of the word 'like' a grammatically incorrect answer.

I am new to the forum! Trying to improve my scores, so any tips are appreciated!

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 157

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 10:56
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Huge solar panels often constitute the most conspicuous component of a spacecraft, as large sails billowing on a 19th-century sea vessel.

I have chosen option C too.
Did not like either of them.
Now, that I know the right answer, suppose, it can be next explanation:

It seems to us that there must be "did" in the right option (I expected to see it in the end of the sentence, but only found in the beginning in option C) - we compare solar panels of spacecrafts and large sails on 19th-century vessels in the past. But maybe this is an error.

Option C is bad because, chosing it, we use logic above. BUT.
These 19th-century sea vessels float Today, Now, not in the 19-th century.
So we compare solar panels and sails today.

And because of it option D is better.

It is my assumption. Would like of course to hear from experts. Thank you! :)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 157

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8162 [2], given: 100

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
mikemcgarry : Hey Mike, I was wondering whether you could help me with this. In one of your lessons, I remember that you mentioned that the construction: Preposition + Noun + Participle is not considered correct on the gmat- the reson being that too much action was being crammed in a few words. In this question, a similar construction is happening in the Choice D, which also happens to be the correct answer. Is it safe to assume that this question has been wrongly framed. In my opinion, the best answer out of the remaining asnswer choices should be C. Can you help please. Thanks

Dear bkpolymers1617,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, on the [preposition] + [noun] + [participle], this construction is not always wrong. See this blog for a more nuanced explanation of the situation.
with + [noun] + [participle] on GMAT Sentence Correction
What we have in this situation is the Case II situation described in that blog.

I would say that (D) is clearly the best answer, and (C) is 100% wrong and presents a very typical trap.

We use "as" when what follows is a [noun] + [full verb] structure: it is incorrect in a comparison to follow "as" with and noun that is not attached to a full verb. We use "like" when we have a noun and no full verb: it is incorrect in a comparison to follow "like" with a [noun] + [full verb] structure.

What we have after the "as"/"like" term is [noun] + [participle]. This is NOT a [noun] + [full verb] structure. Instead, this is a noun plus a noun modifier. Thus, this has to have "like."

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
G

Huge solar panels often constitute the most conspicuous component of a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 11:43
mikemcgarry wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:

Dear bkpolymers1617,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, on the [preposition] + [noun] + [participle], this construction is not always wrong. See this blog for a more nuanced explanation of the situation.
with + [noun] + [participle] on GMAT Sentence Correction
What we have in this situation is the Case II situation described in that blog.

I would say that (D) is clearly the best answer, and (C) is 100% wrong and presents a very typical trap.

We use "as" when what follows is a [noun] + [full verb] structure: it is incorrect in a comparison to follow "as" with and noun that is not attached to a full verb. We use "like" when we have a noun and no full verb: it is incorrect in a comparison to follow "like" with a [noun] + [full verb] structure.

What we have after the "as"/"like" term is [noun] + [participle]. This is NOT a [noun] + [full verb] structure. Instead, this is a noun plus a noun modifier. Thus, this has to have "like."

Hey Mike- I hope you know that you are awesome. I love Magoosh. Now coming back to the question. I did a detailed review of the choices again. Please let me know if I am thinking correctly please. Choice C is wrong because somehow it means that the large sails themselves constituted a part of the spacecraft sometime in history. Is this the trap that you are referring to?

I understand that option D has a participle phrase, and that participle phrases are not actual verb clauses. I get this point that it still acts a noun. But my question is that is this really the best way to show contrast. In your article, you mention in case 2 that the particular form (with+ noun+ participle) should act as a NOUN MODIFIER. But in this case, no such modification is taking place, infact this is a comparison. So probably, I would have marked option D, if I had realized the typical trap C was presenting. But still, D does not look to be the best of representations. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 14:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Hey Mike- I hope you know that you are awesome. I love Magoosh. Now coming back to the question. I did a detailed review of the choices again. Please let me know if I am thinking correctly please. Choice C is wrong because somehow it means that the large sails themselves constituted a part of the spacecraft sometime in history. Is this the trap that you are referring to?

I understand that option D has a participle phrase, and that participle phrases are not actual verb clauses. I get this point that it still acts a noun. But my question is that is this really the best way to show contrast. In your article, you mention in case 2 that the particular form (with+ noun+ participle) should act as a NOUN MODIFIER. But in this case, no such modification is taking place, infact this is a comparison. So probably, I would have marked option D, if I had realized the typical trap C was presenting. But still, D does not look to be the best of representations. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much.

Dear bkpolymers1617,

I'm happy to respond. Thank you for your kind words, my friend. :-)

The core comparison in this sentence is between the "huge solar panels" and the "sails." The writer somewhat poetically suggests that the "huge solar panels" on a "spacecraft" are comparable to the "large sails" on a "19th-century sea vessel."

Incidentally, all five answer choices end with the words "on a 19th-century sea vessel," so that should be part of the underlined section. That's a bit of sloppiness on Kaplan's part.

How would we state this bare comparison, with "like" or with "as"?
1) The huge solar panels on a spacecraft are as large sails on a 19th-century sea vessel. = WRONG
2) The huge solar panels on a spacecraft are like large sails on a 19th-century sea vessel. = CORRECT
That's the trap I was attempting to indicate. At this point, it should be very clear that "like" is correct and "as" is incorrect. Sentence #2 is perfectly correct.

Now, add a participle noun modifier to "sails."
3) The huge solar panels on a spacecraft are like large sails billowing on a 19th-century sea vessel.
Still, "like" is correct, and sentence #3 is perfect correct. At this point, the core comparison is still very clear. This can introduce the element that confuses some non-native speakers, who confuse a participle modifier for a full verb: those students might think "as" is appropriate.

Now, we will make a more emphatic statement about the solar panels, but still retain the core comparison:
4) Huge solar panels often constitute the most conspicuous component of a spacecraft, like large sails billowing on a 19th-century sea vessel.
Here, we are making a more extended statement about the solar panels, but we are still retaining the same comparison we had in #2 and #3. Admittedly, the core comparison might be a bit harder to pick out, but it's still the same. Thus, we still need to use the word "like" in the comparison of noun to noun. Sentence #4 is 100% correct, and this is version (D), the OA, from this SC question.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 20:39

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

Re: Huge solar panels often constitute the most conspicuous component of a   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2017, 20:39

Huge solar panels often constitute the most conspicuous component of a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap