GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west, because that di

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west, because that di  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2015, 18:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:23) correct 21% (01:34) wrong based on 2696 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west, because that direction is the way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow, but they then veer off toward higher latitudes, in many cases changing direction toward the east before dissipating over the colder, more northerly waters or over land.

(A) Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west, because that direction is the way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow, but

(B) At first, hurricanes travel from east to west, because that is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics, but

(C) While hurricanes travel from east to west at first, the direction of the prevailing winds blowing in the tropics, and

(D) Because hurricanes at first travel from east to west, since it is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics,

(E) Hurricanes, beginning by traveling from east to west, because this is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics,

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 46: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 10:03
Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west, because that direction is the way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow, but they then veer off toward higher latitudes, in many cases changing direction toward the east before dissipating over the colder, more northerly waters or over land.

(A) Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west, because that direction is the way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow, but

(B) At first, hurricanes travel from east to west, because that is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics, but

(C) While hurricanes travel from east to west at first, the direction of the prevailing winds blowing in the tropics, and

(D) Because hurricanes at first travel from east to west, since it is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics,

(E) Hurricanes, beginning by traveling from east to west, because this is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics,

Hurricanes

(A) Meaning

(B) CORRECT

(C) Sentence Structure

(D) Meaning

(E) Sentence Structure

First glance

The beginning of the sentence changes in nearly every answer choice, so keep an eye out for more global issues, such as Meaning, Sentence Structure, Modifiers, or Parallelism.

Issues

(1) Meaning: at first begin

You might not notice this on your first read; try comparing answers (A) and (B). They are substantially similar in meaning and structure, but answer (B) drops the verb begin. That might be your clue to examine whether the sentence needs that word.

To begin by doing a certain thing means to do that thing first. Using both at first and begin is redundant. Eliminate answer (A).

(2) Sentence Structure

While begins a subordinate clause: While I like cheese, I don’t care for pizza. This structure requires only a comma to connect the while clause with the main clause. Choice (C) offers this structure:

“While hurricanes travel (in a certain direction), and they then veer off…”

This choice is flawed in the same way as the sentence: While I like cheese, and I don’t care for pizza. A conjunction (such as and) is not an acceptable way to join a dependent clause to an independent clause. Eliminate answer (C).

Side note: in this problem, while means although. It can also mean at the same time as.

Now that you know that Sentence Structure might be an issue, check whether any other answers also mess up that core structure. Answer (E) does so:

“Hurricanes, (modifier), (modifier), they then veer off…”

The sentence repeats the subject. This would be the equivalent of saying: Larry he likes pizza. Eliminate answer (E).

(3) Meaning

In choice (D) the word because is attached to hurricanes travel from east to west. In most of the other choices, because goes with the direction of the prevailing winds. Is the change in location of that word okay?

Choice (D) states:

“Because hurricanes travel from east to west, they then veer off…”

This meaning is illogical. The hurricanes don’t veer off because they first travel from east to west. Rather, they first travel from east to west because that’s the same direction that the prevailing winds blow. Eliminate answer (D).

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (B) fixes the redundancy in the original sentence by removing the verb begin. It conveys a logical meaning and has a legal core sentence structure: …hurricanes travel from east to west, but they then veer off

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 10:08
This is cool, I really don't see a whole lot of disagreement on this one. I'm a little bit surprised, because I've seen a few students flail helplessly on it. :?

Quote:

This is the GMAT's attempt to cram as much redundancy into one answer choice as possible. "At first begin" is redundant. So is "that direction is the way." And why would we bother saying that the "winds in the tropics blow" in that direction? Of course the wind blows. So does this answer choice. Eliminate (A).

Quote:

All of that unnecessary, useless phrasing in (A) is gone now. That's pleasant. So if you have a problem with (B), it's probably because of the word "that." But "that" is just a pronoun here, referring back to "east to west." And that seems completely fine, as we discussed in a recent Topic of the Week on "that". Keep (B).

Quote:

This isn't even a real sentence, because it has no independent clause. I'm also not crazy about the placement of the modifier "the direction of the prevailing winds blowing in the tropics" -- it should ideally be closer to "east to west." The "and" also seems like a worse choice than "but", since we're drawing a contrast between the east to west direction of the wind and its later changes of direction. Eliminate (C).

Quote:

The meaning is a hot mess here: it's saying that because hurricanes at first travel from east to west, they then veer off toward higher latitudes? That doesn't make any sense. Eliminate (D).

Quote:

"Hurricanes, ... they then veer off..." -- that's a diaper fire right there. If "hurricanes" is the subject, where is the verb? Plus, "this" is trying to operate as a pronoun here, and that's not OK -- "this" can only be an article, not a pronoun. Eliminate (E).

(B) is the winner.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Most Helpful Community Reply
Current Student
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Re: Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west, because that di  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2015, 23:38
"because that direction.." is modifying "Hurricanes at first begin travelling from east to west".
However, it is NOT that "Hurricanes at first begin travelling from east to west" which is the "direction".
"Direction" is simply "Hurricanes travelling from east to west". So the use of phrase "at first" is extra.

"because that direction.." is correctly modifying what is this "direction" which is presented as"Hurricanes travel from east to west".

1) Again, "the direction" should modify only "...travel from east to west", "at first" is extra.
2) If you fit this option in the original sentence, it becomes "While hurricanes travel, and they veer off.., in many cases changing direction...,.." you will see there is no verb in this sentence.

"because...,since" 2 subordinators in 1 sentence. Redundant.

1) "This" should be followed by noun, as per MGMAT SC book. Just saying "this is" is ok in colloquial not in GMAC Verbal.
2) Not all hurricanes travel from east to west. So the modifier "beginning by traveling from east to west" is incorrectly modifying "Hurricanes".
3) 1st part of the sentence which has the subject "Hurricanes" does not have a verb at all.

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

General Discussion
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west, because that di  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 22:41

Meaning : At first, hurricanes blow east to west because that is direction of prevailing winds. But they then veer off toward higher latitudes and other things.

Two issues:
1) "begin travelling" is wordy as we can replace with "travel". We need a simple present to make it parallel with "veer off" -> another simple present verb.
2) "is the way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow" -> is too wordy and can be easily replaced by construction in option B)

Clear and concise -> Correct

while is a contrast word and we have conjunction "and" so it feels that contrast is still continuing.
For example -> While I was standing and sweating outside, others were seating in the AC.
But after "and" we need the contrasted part and that is the reason usage of " and " is incorrect

Since is the reason why hurricanes at first travel from east to west -> this is correct.
Similarly, Because should provide the reason why "they then veer off" -> meaning is illogical

beginning -> is a verb+ing modifier modifying "Hurricanes" which is correct. So we can remove the "modifier".
If we remove the modifier the sentence becomes
"Hurricanes, because X" -> this doesn't make sense.
because -> cannot modify a noun. It has to modify a clause.

For example I went to market because my supplies were out. ->Here because is modifying the clause "I went to market".

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 10:15
Hi, I hope this video helps. This question is tricky, but if you take advantage of the rule "skip over the appositives and see if it makes sense," then it becomes easier to handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMq1qD3 ... t-&index=4

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 03:33

Vertical scan reveals that Option A and B have 'but'
C has 'and'
The sentence, (Hurricanes travels from east to west.................they then veer off......), needs a contrast
Therefore C, D and E are out

Option A 'first begin' is redundant..Out

Therefore, Option B is the correct answer

Founder, GMAT Mantra
One to One Live Online GMAT Coaching
http://www.gmatmantra.com

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 17:51
Hi Experts,
Though I got correct OA, it seems my approach wasn't correct.
My query is regarding - traveling - in Option A and usage of - that - in option B
I discarded A at first glance thinking traveling in written in continuous tense, whereas
meaning wise this sentence shows a fact whixh needs to be communicated in
present tense. On closer look, it seems traveling seems to modify the verb in present tense - begin
Is my interpretation correct?
Is this version of A correct?
Hurricanes begin to travel from east to west, because that direction is the
way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow, bu
t they then veer off toward higher
latitudes, in many cases changing direction toward the east before dissipating over
the colder, more northerly waters or over land.

Here, is to travel a verb or modifier?

Furthermore, - that- refers to travel in option B. It jumps over both nouns - east / west Am I correct?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 19:20
Top Contributor
To make life simple, before we embark on solving this question, just dump C and E for being blatant fragments. We can also drop D for using two back-to-back subordinate clauses with just a main clause. In addition, the use of 'because' and 'since' in the same sentence is awkward.
A prickly observation giving a serious doubt whether GMAT is oblivious of this norm is that in A and B which are complex sentences, the comma shouldn't have been used when the subordinate clause follows the main clause.
Notwithstanding the punctuation error, we may drop A for using the redundant 'direction' and 'the way' together as afterall a direction is actually a way.
B is perhaps the choice by POE.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 13:40
adkikani, you're right that "traveling" modifies the present tense verb "begin" in A. There's nothing grammatically wrong with that. The problems with A are elsewhere: the redundancy of "at first begin" and the confusing phrase "that direction is the way."

As for "that" in B, it has to modify a noun, and "travel" is serving as a verb. It's directly modifying "east to west": east to west is the direction of the winds.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 11:19
souvik101990 wrote:

(E) Hurricanes, beginning by traveling from east to west, because this is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics
Correct answer must be (B) for the highlighted errors in other options...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jul 2017, 09:25
Top Contributor
Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west because that direction is the way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow, but they then veer off toward higher latitudes, in many cases changing direction toward the east before dissipating over the colder, more northerly waters or over land.
Let's remove the easily visible errors.

(A) Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west because that direction is the way the prevailing winds in the tropics blow, but -- at first begin and direction and way are redundant.

(B) At first, hurricanes travel from east to west, because that is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics, but----can't find anything wrong.

(C) While hurricanes travel from east to west at first, the direction of the prevailing winds blowing in the tropics, and --- This is a fragment since the subordinate clause doesn't have a main clause.

(D) Because hurricanes at first travel from east to west, since it is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics, --- Two subordinate clauses not connected by proper conjugation but depending upon one main clause is a fragment.

(E) Hurricanes, beginning by traveling from east to west, because this is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics,--- 'Hurricanes' in the underlined part and 'they' in the non-underlined part turn the sentence as a double subject -single verb one

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 04 Jul 2017, 05:45.
Last edited by daagh on 04 Jul 2017, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 10:15
Abhishek009 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

(E) Hurricanes, beginning by traveling from east to west, because this is the direction of the prevailing winds in the tropics

in choice B, "that is" is correct or not. "that " can refer to a noun only if "that " is relative pronoun. pls, explain this point
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 10:06
thangvietnam wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

in choice B, "that is" is correct or not. "that " can refer to a noun only if "that " is relative pronoun. pls, explain this point

All constructions contained in an OA are, by definition, correct!

In this case, "that" is serving as a pronoun referring to "east to west," as discussed in this explanation. The easiest way to test whether a given pronoun properly connects to the referent in question is to substitute the referent for the pronoun and see if the sentence is logical. Here, "that is the direction of the prevailing winds" becomes "east to west is the direction of the prevailing winds." Sounds logical to me!

And if you want a more thorough treatment, check out this article for a full rundown on the various ways in which "that" might show up on the GMAT.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Bot
Re: QOTD: Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west &nbs [#permalink] 03 Aug 2018, 10:06

Hurricanes at first begin traveling from east to west, because that di

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap