GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 04:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

I need 550 score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
I need 550 score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 01:22
Hi all,

First of all i'm a non-native speaker, so sorry for my bad english.

Second I wonder what it takes to get a 550 score on my GMAT.
Are there questions available with a 550 level?

I know it's not the highest score and for some of you it will be easy.
But for me it's difficult, so any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Jorian
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: I need 550 score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 02:12
jorianlamberink wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you very much,

Jorian

Hi Jorian,

Instead of targeting specific level questions randomly, just buy the Official Guide books and try to solve those questions, especially the first 20-30 questions. These are low level questions. You can also find the OG question links in GMATCLUB forums. GMATCLUB members comment on these questions. You can find the explanations here, if you can't buy all OG books.

Also, your English doesn't seem to be bad at all. I have seen candidates not even as proficient as you, but they were able to score 30+ in verbal section. I don't know your Quant level, so I can't comment on that. Just try to allocate time and learn concepts if you are weak in certain aspects, such as Grammar.

Follow this. It will help you
(1) Take a free OG test and assess your score level. If you are still unsure, take the other free test too.
(2) Start working on the weaknesses (RC, or CR or DS etc) using materials from different companies. These materials build your concepts. My advice for Verbal:-
For Sentence correction - Manhattan sentence correction guide
For Critical reasoning - Powerscore CR bible (the older version is available free as PDF. Just google it)
For RC - Read RC strategies from Veritas, Powerscore, EGMAT etc. Buy some good test series such as Manhattan, Veritas, Egmat etc, and try to use those strategies
while solving the RCs. Assess the efficiency of those strategies. There's no good or bad strategy. Some strategies suit well to some people. So do trial and error. Read
lot of articles from NewyorkTimes, Economist, WallStreet etc. Listen to audio files if possible- This one helped me.

(3) Along with step 2, keep practicing questions from the Official guide. These are the best questions. Try to apply the concepts from the above books while solving these questions.
(4) Take practice test every week. Go through all the questions and review them thoroughly- EACH and EVERY question, NOT just the questions you got wrong. REVIEW THOROUGHLY!!!

Plan the above steps properly. Follow this for 2-3 months. Now after you are done with all the preparation, buy a couple of practice tests from Official GMAC, and assess your level. If you hit your target score, go for the Actual GMAT.

I have self-prepared for the GMAT with above strategy, and I was able to score well. Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Thanks
Bharadwaj
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 06:29
jorianlamberink wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you very much,

Jorian

Hi jorianlamberink,

Welcome to GMATCLUB. I would highly encourage you to aim a little higher. You should dedicate around 3 months to achieve a good score. I would encourage you to start by taking a GMATPREP Mock. You can then know your weaknesses and can work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. You need to work on solidifying your base and clearing your concepts. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. You try out free access to EmpowerGMAT, Magoosh and Optimus Prep as they have great reviews on GMATCLUB.

Also for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

You can also use MGMAT guides for your preparation. MGMAT guides are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
I need 550 score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 09:19
Hi jorianlamberink,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help.

So before providing specific advice of how to move forward with your prep, it would be helpful for you to get a baseline GMAT score. Thus, in short order could you familiarize yourself with the GMAT and then take an official MBA.com practice exam. Once you take the practice exam, please report back here, and I can provide some further advice.

Also, I’d like to learn some more about your situation with the GMAT, so I have some questions:

1) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

2) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

3) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your GMAT?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 12:27
Hi, Jorian...
If you go into the GMAT Club question bank, you will see there is a selection of ways you can filter and find questions. I would recommend using the boxes for "Difficulty: Sub 600 Level" and "Difficulty: 600-700 Level". Go through all of the lower level questions first, paying attention to the concepts being tested and then try the next selection box that has higher difficulty questions.

PK

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 14:45
Hi jorianlamberink,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) When you say that you "need" a 550, what does that mean exactly? Will scoring 550 guarantee you entry into a particular School or Program? Is a 550 the minimum score that you need to apply to a particular Program?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 10:38
Well first of all, thank you very much for your reply's.

But I think I put all of you on the wrong track. Because I'm almost ready to take the GMAT.
Next week, 7/12 to be precise.

I need an 550 score to get into the university of my choice.
I'm quitte new to this forum and the question bank is amazing. I've been training the Sub 600 and 600-700 questions a lot.

These questions give me a lot of confidence that I will get my required score.

So thank you very much for the replies and all of the help.

Greetings.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 17:42
Hi jorianlamberink,

With a Test Date on December 7th, you are a little over 1 week away from your Exam. Have you taken any FULL-LENGTH practice CATs/mocks yet? If you have, then how did you Score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? If you have not taken any yet, then you really should take one soon - so that we can get a sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses.

If you are not actually close to your Goal Score at this point, then you might want to consider paying the rescheduling fee (currently $50) and pushing back your Test Date. If you choose to reschedule, then you have to do so at least 7 full days before your Exam.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 18:19
jorianlamberink wrote:
Well first of all, thank you very much for your reply's.

But I think I put all of you on the wrong track. Because I'm almost ready to take the GMAT.
Next week, 7/12 to be precise.

I need an 550 score to get into the university of my choice.
I'm quitte new to this forum and the question bank is amazing. I've been training the Sub 600 and 600-700 questions a lot.

These questions give me a lot of confidence that I will get my required score.

So thank you very much for the replies and all of the help.

Greetings.
Taking some GMATPrep practice tests is very important (assuming you haven't already started). Those tests will give you a good idea of what you can expect on the actual exam.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 11:17
jorianlamberink wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you very much,

Jorian

Hi jorianlamberink

For a Score of 550 Get a Copy of Princeton Review GMAT book (Latest one)
Read the book concept wise and also practice some questions with concept you learned
After reading the book do some more practice and take some CATs

I hope you can get a 550 score with a little study roughly in a month.

Good Luck

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: I need 550 score &nbs [#permalink] 30 Nov 2018, 11:17

I need 550 score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap