GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jan 2019, 08:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     January 20, 2019

     January 20, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     07:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     January 19, 2019

     January 19, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 25 Dec 2018
Posts: 87
Location: India
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13
GPA: 2.86
CAT Tests
If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 20:41
1
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:13) correct 51% (01:12) wrong based on 51 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?

(1) a + b = 9

(2) (a − 4)^2 + (b − 5)^2 = 0
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 18 Jul 2018
Posts: 573
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 20:56
From statement 1:

a+b = 9
As a and b are greater than 1. then a and b can take values (6,3) or (4,5) or (7,2)
6*3 = 18 < 20.
7*2 = 14 < 20
4*5 = 20 and 20 is not greater than 20.
Hence, Insufficient.

From statement 2:

\((a − 4)^2 + (b − 5)^2 = 0\)
Here a and b can only take values 4 and 5. and 20 is not greater than 20.
Hence, a*b can never be greater than 20.
Sufficient.

B is the answer.
akurathi12, is the OA correct?
_________________

If you are not badly hurt, you don't learn. If you don't learn, you don't grow. If you don't grow, you don't live. If you don't live, you don't know your worth. If you don't know your worth, then what's the point?

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Aug 2018
Posts: 18
CAT Tests
Re: If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 21:10
I think OA is wrong. The correct answer is B.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 01 May 2017
Posts: 69
Location: India
CAT Tests
Re: If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 03:08
1
(1) a + b = 9

Combinations possible are (2,7), (3,6) and (4,5)
2*7 < 20
3*6 < 20
4*5 = 20

Is a*b > 20, No it is less than or equal to 20
So, clearly I can say a*b not greater than 20
i.e.,\(a*b <= 20\)
Sufficient

(2) (a − 4)^2 + (b − 5)^2 = 0
for some of squares i.e., positive values to be zero, they should be zero
a = 4 and b = 5 is the only possibility
a*b = 20 which is not greater than
Sufficient

So, option D is correct
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 25 Dec 2018
Posts: 87
Location: India
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13
GPA: 2.86
CAT Tests
Re: If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 05:16
Afc0892 wrote:
From statement 1:

a+b = 9
As a and b are greater than 1. then a and b can take values (6,3) or (4,5) or (7,2)
6*3 = 18 < 20.
7*2 = 14 < 20
4*5 = 20 and 20 is not greater than 20.
Hence, Insufficient.

From statement 2:

\((a − 4)^2 + (b − 5)^2 = 0\)
Here a and b can only take values 4 and 5. and 20 is not greater than 20.
Hence, a*b can never be greater than 20.
Sufficient.

B is the answer.
akurathi12, is the OA correct?

I am in a confusion with OA, that is the reason I have posted.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 25 Dec 2018
Posts: 87
Location: India
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13
GPA: 2.86
CAT Tests
Re: If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 05:18
Dare Devil wrote:
(1) a + b = 9

Combinations possible are (2,7), (3,6) and (4,5)
2*7 < 20
3*6 < 20
4*5 = 20

Is a*b > 20, No it is less than or equal to 20
So, clearly I can say a*b not greater than 20
i.e.,\(a*b <= 20\)
Sufficient

(2) (a − 4)^2 + (b − 5)^2 = 0
for some of squares i.e., positive values to be zero, they should be zero
a = 4 and b = 5 is the only possibility
a*b = 20 which is not greater than
Sufficient

So, option D is correct


Thank you for the statement 1 explanation.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 01 May 2017
Posts: 69
Location: India
CAT Tests
Re: If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 08:42
akurathi12 wrote:
Dare Devil wrote:
(1) a + b = 9

Combinations possible are (2,7), (3,6) and (4,5)
2*7 < 20
3*6 < 20
4*5 = 20

Is a*b > 20, No it is less than or equal to 20
So, clearly I can say a*b not greater than 20
i.e.,\(a*b <= 20\)
Sufficient

(2) (a − 4)^2 + (b − 5)^2 = 0
for some of squares i.e., positive values to be zero, they should be zero
a = 4 and b = 5 is the only possibility
a*b = 20 which is not greater than
Sufficient

So, option D is correct


Thank you for the statement 1 explanation.


My Pleasure... ;)
We are here to help out each other... :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Mar 2018
Posts: 215
Location: India
Re: If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 11:10
akurathi12 wrote:
If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?

(1) a + b = 9

(2) (a − 4)^2 + (b − 5)^2 = 0


Given
a and b are integers with each being greater than 1

Statement 1
a + b = 9
2+7, is 14>20, No
3+6, is 18>20, No
4+5, is 20>20, No
Consistent, No.
Sufficient.

Statement 2
\((a − 4)^2 + (b − 5)^2\) = 0
Can only be true when a = 4 and b = 5
is 20>20, No
Sufficient.

Answer D
_________________

If you notice any discrepancy in my reasoning, please let me know. Lets improve together.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20? &nbs [#permalink] 08 Jan 2019, 11:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If a and b are integers with each being greater than 1, is a × b > 20?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.