GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 07:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If a, b, and c are different nonnegative digits, which of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 22
If a, b, and c are different nonnegative digits, which of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Nov 2012, 03:38
12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:29) correct 60% (02:19) wrong based on 229 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If a, b, and c are different nonnegative digits, which of the following CANNOT be a solution to the addition problem below?

abc +
cba
------------

A) 929
B) 1,110
C) 1,111
D) 1,322
E) 1,776

Originally posted by monsoon1 on 18 Nov 2012, 13:22.
Last edited by Bunuel on 19 Nov 2012, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 596
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Sum of the Digits  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2012, 17:40
5
3
monsoon1 wrote:
If a, b, and c are different nonnegative digits, which of the following CANNOT be a solution to the addition problem below?

abc +
cba
------------

A) 929
B) 1,110
C) 1,111
D) 1,322
E) 1,776


abc can be written as = 100a +10b+c
similarly cba = 100c+10b+a

Hence sum = 101a+101c+20b = 101(a+c) +20b
Sum has to be of the form of 101 *Number1 + 20 *Number2

Choices,
A) 929 = 101 *9 + 20*1 => possible
B) 1,110 = 101*10+20*5 =>possible
C) 1,111= 101*11+20*0 => possible
D) 1,322 = 101*13+9 or 101*12+110 => not possible
E) 1,776 = 101*17 + 59 or 101*16+20*8 = possible

Ans D it is!
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

General Discussion
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1829
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Sum of the Digits  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2014, 01:11
Vips0000 wrote:
monsoon1 wrote:
If a, b, and c are different nonnegative digits, which of the following CANNOT be a solution to the addition problem below?

abc +
cba
------------

A) 929
B) 1,110
C) 1,111
D) 1,322
E) 1,776


abc can be written as = 100a +10b+c
similarly cba = 100c+10b+a

Hence sum = 101a+101c+20b = 101(a+c) +20b
Sum has to be of the form of 101 *Number1 + 20 *Number2

Choices,
A) 929 = 101 *9 + 20*1 => possible
B) 1,110 = 101*10+20*5 =>possible
C) 1,111= 101*11+20*0 => possible
D) 1,322 = 101*13+9 or 101*12+110 => not possible
E) 1,776 = 101*17 + 59 or 101*16+20*8 = possible

Ans D it is!


I randomly took 415 & 514 to give 929 ; so ruled out option A

Reached upto this point:

abc can be written as = 100a +10b+c
similarly cba = 100c+10b+a
Hence sum = 101a+101c+20b = 101(a+c) +20b

Cant understand how the numbers were picked / tested to check the results??

Can someone please explain? Thanks
_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49913
Re: Sum of the Digits  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2014, 01:41
1
2
PareshGmat wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
monsoon1 wrote:
If a, b, and c are different nonnegative digits, which of the following CANNOT be a solution to the addition problem below?

abc +
cba
------------

A) 929
B) 1,110
C) 1,111
D) 1,322
E) 1,776


abc can be written as = 100a +10b+c
similarly cba = 100c+10b+a

Hence sum = 101a+101c+20b = 101(a+c) +20b
Sum has to be of the form of 101 *Number1 + 20 *Number2

Choices,
A) 929 = 101 *9 + 20*1 => possible
B) 1,110 = 101*10+20*5 =>possible
C) 1,111= 101*11+20*0 => possible
D) 1,322 = 101*13+9 or 101*12+110 => not possible
E) 1,776 = 101*17 + 59 or 101*16+20*8 = possible

Ans D it is!


I randomly took 415 & 514 to give 929 ; so ruled out option A

Reached upto this point:

abc can be written as = 100a +10b+c
similarly cba = 100c+10b+a
Hence sum = 101a+101c+20b = 101(a+c) +20b

Cant understand how the numbers were picked / tested to check the results??

Can someone please explain? Thanks


abc can be written as 100a + 10b + c.
cba can be written as 100c + 10b + a.

The sum = (100a + 10b + c) + (100c + 10b + a) = 20(5a + 5c + b) + (a + c) = {a multiple of 20} + (a + c).

A. 929 --> 920 + 9 = {a multiple of 20} + (a + c) --> a + c can be 9;
...
D. 1,322 --> 1,320 + 2 = 1,300 + 22 --> a + c can be neither 2 (because a and c are different, non negative digits) nor 22.

Answer: D.

Similar questions to practice: given-that-a-b-c-and-d-are-different-nonzero-digits-and-126865.html

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1315
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
If a, b, and c are different nonnegative digits, which of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 19:12
monsoon1 wrote:
If a, b, and c are different non negative digits, which of the following CANNOT be a solution to the addition problem below?

abc +
cba
-------------

A) 929
B) 1,110
C) 1,111
D) 1,322
E) 1,776


Source : Manhattan Advanced Quant Question No. 4

OFFICIAL SOLUTION



Note that many of the answer choices have four digits, which would require “carrying” from the hundredths digit. This observation gives us a good starting place.

If \(a + c < 10\), no carrying would be required from the ones place to the tens place. The resulting sum would have an even tens digit (\(b + b = 2b\)) and could have either three or four digits. A three digit sum will be a palindrome, as both the ones digit and hundreds digit will be the single-digit \(a + c\). A four digit sum occurs for \(a + c < 10\) only when \(a + c = 9\) and \(2b ≥ 10\) (i.e., carry a 1 from the tens place to the hundreds place), and must have the following digits: 1 0 even 9 .

If \(a + c ≥ 10\), we must “carry” a 1 from the ones place to the tens place. The resulting sum would have an odd tens digit (\(1 + b + b = 2b + 1\)) and must have four digits. Both the ones digit and hundreds digit are formed by summing a + c, so these digits will either be the same (if we don’t carry from the tens digit) or differ by exactly 1 (that is, if a 1 is carried from the tens digit).

We now inspect the answer choices:
(A) OK. Even tens digit in a three digit number.
(B) OK. Odd tens digit in a four digit number with hundreds digit = ones digit + 1.
(C) OK. Odd tens digit in a four digit number with hundreds digit = ones digit.
(D) NO. Even tens digit in a four digit number, yet the first two digits are not 1 and 0.
(E) OK. Odd tens digit in a four digit number with hundreds digit = ones digit + 1.

Alternatively, we could try to produce each sum:
(A) 929 = 316 + 613
(B) 1,110 = 258 + 852
(C) 1,111 = 209 + 902
(D) CANNOT
(E) 1,776 = 789 + 987

The correct answer is D.
_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Sep 2016
Posts: 118
If a, b, and c are different nonnegative digits, which of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 11:04
(100a +10b+ c) + (100c + 10b + a) = 101a+20b+101c
101(a+c) + 20b

I got stuck here so I then looked at the answer choices.

I immediately tried c by setting (a+c) = 11. I was able to get 1111
I next tried answer d by setting (a+c) = 13. I noticed 20b is a multiple of 20 so I got 1333. I ran out of time and chose D since I couldn't see how I could get 1322.
GMAT Club Bot
If a, b, and c are different nonnegative digits, which of &nbs [#permalink] 07 Apr 2018, 11:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If a, b, and c are different nonnegative digits, which of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.