GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 06:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
B
Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 591
If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 11:26
2
11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (02:18) correct 38% (02:25) wrong based on 220 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prime, which of the following statements could be true?

(A) Each of a, b, and c is prime.
(B) Each of a + 3, b + 3, and c + 3 is prime.
(C) Each of a + b, a + c, and b + c is prime.
(D) The average (arithmetic mean) of a, b, and c is prime.
(E) a + b = c

From Manhattan's Challenge for this week.

_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2013
Posts: 266
Re: If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 12:00
2
1
mau5 wrote:
If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prime, which of the following statements could be true?

(A) Each of a, b, and c is prime.
(B) Each of a + 3, b + 3, and c + 3 is prime.
(C) Each of a + b, a + c, and b + c is prime.
(D) The average (arithmetic mean) of a, b, and c is prime.
(E) a + b = c

From Manhattan's Challenge for this week.


we know that all prime numbers are odd except 2. if 2 is also a part of these 3 positive numbers, then sum will always be even. (even+ odd + odd= even) thus sum of a,b,c will be prime only if all 3 of them will be odd.

lets consider each option
a) 3,5,23 satisfy this condition. hence this option is possible.
b) as a,b,c are odd. therefore a+3, b+3, c+3 will always be even. hence this option is not possible
c) again as a,b,c are odd. therefore a+b,b+c,a+c will always be even. hence this option is not possible
d) sum of a,b,c is a prime number. therefore its sum will never be divisible by 3. (as prime numbers are divisible by 1 and itself). hence it will be a fraction. therefore this options is also not possible
e) sum of two odd numbers is always even. thus, this option is not possible at all.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Re: If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 09:27
manpreetsingh86 wrote:
mau5 wrote:
If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prime, which of the following statements could be true?

(A) Each of a, b, and c is prime.
(B) Each of a + 3, b + 3, and c + 3 is prime.
(C) Each of a + b, a + c, and b + c is prime.
(D) The average (arithmetic mean) of a, b, and c is prime.
(E) a + b = c

From Manhattan's Challenge for this week.


we know that all prime numbers are odd except 2. if 2 is also a part of these 3 positive numbers, then sum will always be even. (even+ odd + odd= even) thus sum of a,b,c will be prime only if all 3 of them will be odd.

lets consider each option
a) 3,5,23 satisfy this condition. hence this option is possible.
b) as a,b,c are odd. therefore a+3, b+3, c+3 will always be even. hence this option is not possible
c) again as a,b,c are odd. therefore a+b,b+c,a+c will always be even. hence this option is not possible
d) sum of a,b,c is a prime number. therefore its sum will never be divisible by 3. (as prime numbers are divisible by 1 and itself). hence it will be a fraction. therefore this options is also not possible
e) sum of two odd numbers is always even. thus, this option is not possible at all.


can you please explain as to why you have not taken 2?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2013
Posts: 10
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 10:48
1
xena123 wrote:
manpreetsingh86 wrote:
mau5 wrote:
If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prime, which of the following statements could be true?

(A) Each of a, b, and c is prime.
(B) Each of a + 3, b + 3, and c + 3 is prime.
(C) Each of a + b, a + c, and b + c is prime.
(D) The average (arithmetic mean) of a, b, and c is prime.
(E) a + b = c

From Manhattan's Challenge for this week.


we know that all prime numbers are odd except 2. if 2 is also a part of these 3 positive numbers, then sum will always be even. (even+ odd + odd= even) thus sum of a,b,c will be prime only if all 3 of them will be odd.

lets consider each option
a) 3,5,23 satisfy this condition. hence this option is possible.
b) as a,b,c are odd. therefore a+3, b+3, c+3 will always be even. hence this option is not possible
c) again as a,b,c are odd. therefore a+b,b+c,a+c will always be even. hence this option is not possible
d) sum of a,b,c is a prime number. therefore its sum will never be divisible by 3. (as prime numbers are divisible by 1 and itself). hence it will be a fraction. therefore this options is also not possible
e) sum of two odd numbers is always even. thus, this option is not possible at all.


can you please explain as to why you have not taken 2?


I have tried to explain it using number properties -
3 different +ve integers (assume a, b, c) – sum is a prime number
All prime numbers except 2 are odd.
Consider 2 -> There is no combination of a, b & c to get a sum of 2. (a, b and c have to be different and positive integers)
Now for a, b and c to add up to a prime number (>2) the possibilities are
2 numbers are even positive integers and 1 is an odd positive integer ( E, E, O – i.e. assume a & b are even and c is odd)
OR
All 3 are odd positive integers (O, O, O – a, b & c are odd)

(A) E, E, O (even if 1 of the even numbers is 2 there is another number which cannot be prime) combination not true but O, O, O combination could be true.
(B) E+3 could be prime but O+3 is an even integer >2 so cannot be prime
So E,E,O combination not true (a+3 OK, b+3 OK but c+3 – cannot be prime ) and O,O,O (a/b/c+3 cannot be prime)combination is also not true.
(C) E+O could be prime but O+O cannot be
So E,E,O (a+b cannot be prime) combination and O,O,O (a+b, b+c and c+a cannot be prime) combination not true
(D) If the average of 3 numbers is a prime number then the sum of the 3 numbers is a multiple of 3 and the arithmetic mean. So the sum cannot be even – therefore this option is also not possible.
(E) If a+b=c then a+b+c = 2c which is an even no and hence this option is not possible
Answer (A) is the only choice which could be true.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1751
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2014, 00:21
1
Lets say a = 11, b = 13, c = 17

(A) Each of a, b, and c is prime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. YES
(B) Each of a + 3, b + 3, and c + 3 is prime. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> No in this case
(C) Each of a + b, a + c, and b + c is prime. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Not necessary
(D) The average (arithmetic mean) of a, b, and c is prime. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Its fraction in this case
(E) a + b = c >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Not required

Answer = A
_________________
Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2515
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 07:07
the question asks could be!!!!
this means that if at least one option works, it is the answer.
3, 7, 19 satisfies the condition, since 29 is a prime number. Since the question asks for a could be - we know automatically that A is the answer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 08 Mar 2016
Posts: 28
Re: If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 04:34
mvictor wrote:
the question asks could be!!!!
this means that if at least one option works, it is the answer.
3, 7, 19 satisfies the condition, since 29 is a prime number. Since the question asks for a could be - we know automatically that A is the answer.



I understood the question wrong now that you explain what "could" means. I got the meaning. Any other such things that I should remember?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2016
Posts: 189
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 00:08
If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prime, which of the following statements could be true?

(A) Each of a, b, and c is prime.

(B) Each of a + 3, b + 3, and c + 3 is prime.

(C) Each of a + b, a + c, and b + c is prime.

(D) The average (arithmetic mean) of a, b, and c is prime.

(E) a + b = c
_________________
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!
Senior PS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 3333
Location: India
GPA: 3.12
Re: If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 00:16
Since a,b,c are 3 different postitive integers, and its sum is prime.
In Option A, consider a=3,b=5,c=11, sum of a,b and c is 19(which is prime)

Hence Option A(Each of a,b and c are prime) is possible.
_________________
You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 745
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 00:26
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prime, which of the following statements could be true?

(A) Each of a, b, and c is prime.

(B) Each of a + 3, b + 3, and c + 3 is prime.

(C) Each of a + b, a + c, and b + c is prime.

(D) The average (arithmetic mean) of a, b, and c is prime.

(E) a + b = c



Let \(a = 3\), \(b = 5\) and \(c = 11\)

\(a + b + c = 3 + 5 + 11 = 19\) ---------- (Prime number)

Lets check the options.

(A) Each of a, b, and c is prime.

Let \(a = 3\), \(b = 5\) and \(c = 11\) ---------- (a,b and c is prime)--------- (Could be true)

(B) Each of a + 3, b + 3, and c + 3 is prime.

From (i) a + 3, b + 3 and c + 3 gives ( 6, 8 and 14) respectively ----------- (Not prime)

(C) Each of a + b, a + c, and b + c is prime.

From (i) \(a + b = 8\)

\(a + c = 14\)

\(b + c = 16\) ------- (Not prime)

(D) The average (arithmetic mean) of a, b, and c is prime.

From (i) \(\frac{3 + 5 + 11}{3} = \frac{19}{3}\) ------------- (Not prime)

(E) \(a + b = c\) ==> From (i) \(3 + 5 = 8\) not 11 ------- ( Not true)

Therefore Only A could be true . Answer (A)...
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58309
Re: If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 02:46
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prime, which of the following statements could be true?

(A) Each of a, b, and c is prime.

(B) Each of a + 3, b + 3, and c + 3 is prime.

(C) Each of a + b, a + c, and b + c is prime.

(D) The average (arithmetic mean) of a, b, and c is prime.

(E) a + b = c


Merging topics.

You are permanently violating our posting rules (https://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-po ... 33935.html). This post for example, was posted in DS instead of PS and is also a duplicate. Note that ignoring or breaking these rules will likely lead to removed posts, warnings, and eventual bans.
_________________
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 15240
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 16:27
Hi All,

This question has some interesting "restrictions" to it, but it's perfect for TESTing VALUES (even though you'll have to do a bit more work than normal to find a TEST that "fits").

We're told that A, B and C are 3 DIFFERENT positive integers whose SUM is PRIME.

Since the sum has to be prime, we should be looking for an ODD total. Since the answer choices emphasize the idea of prime numbers, you should think about "brute force-ing" a series of 3 odd numbers (likely primes) to see if you can get a match.

Without too much trouble, I got to 3, 5 and 11….

3+5+11 = 19 = a sum that is prime

Using these values, only one answer is true....

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13112
Re: If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2019, 19:43
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2019, 19:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If a, b, and c are three different positive integers whose sum is prim

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne