Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [36]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [5]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Re: If F is the prime factorization of N!, how many factors in F have an e [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
If F is the prime factorization of N!, how many factors in F have an exponent of 1?

(1) 30 ≤ N ≤ 40

(2) 25 ≤ N ≤ 35

Kudos for a correct solution.

(1) 30 ≤ N ≤ 40
If N=30 There are say X prime factors with exponent 1.
for N=31 , we have X+1 prime factors with exponent 1.
so we cannot find the total number of primer factor with exponent 1 till we do not know value of N .
Insufficient.

(2) 25 ≤ N ≤ 35
same issue with this statement
if N=25 , in N!, we will have Y prime factors with exponent 1
N=29, Y+1
N=31, Y+2
Insufficient.

Together:
\({30}\le{N}\leq{35}\)
If N=30 There are X prime factors with exponent 1.
but If N=31 There are X+1 prime factors with exponent 1.

Answer E.

Originally posted by Lucky2783 on 10 Apr 2015, 00:07.
Last edited by Lucky2783 on 10 Apr 2015, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: If F is the prime factorization of N!, how many factors in F have an e [#permalink]
King407 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If F is the prime factorization of N!, how many factors in F have an exponent of 1?

(1) 30 ≤ N ≤ 40

(2) 25 ≤ N ≤ 35

For statement A for 40!, the factors with exponent 1 would be 23, 29, 31, 37 etc. If N=40, there could be upto 5 factors with exponent 1. (as 34 = 17*2 and 38=19*2)
and if N=30, there will be upto 4 factors with exponent 1 (13, 17, 19, 23 and 29). Insufficient

For statement B for 35!, the factors with exponent 1 would be 19, 23, 29, 31 etc. If N=35, there could be upto 4 factors with exponent 1. (as 34 = 17*2)
and if N=25, there will be upto 5 factors with exponent 1 (13, 17, 19, 23 and 29). Insufficient

Combining A & B, 25 ≤ N ≤ 40; again, N can assume any value, say 30 or 40, for which the no. of factors with exponents 1 would vary. Insufficient

Answer E

This is not important for this question but it can be a pitfall in another question:
combining A & B gives us \({30}\le{N}\leq{35}\)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(1) 30 ≤ N ≤ 40

(2) 25 ≤ N ≤ 35

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

This is a tricky one.

Let’s think about, say, 40! This number, 40!, is the product of all the integers from one to 40. Let’s think about its prime factorization. It would have at least one factor of 2 for every even number from 2 to 40, and a second factor for every multiple of 4, and a third factor for every multiple of 8, etc.; a lot of factors of two. Think about the factors, say, of 7: there are five multiples of 7 from 7 to 35, so in the prime factorization of 40!, the factor 7 would have an exponent of 5. Which factors would have exponents of 1? Well, the prime numbers that are less than N, but have no other multiples less than N. For example, in 40!, the factor 37 would have an exponent of 1 since it appears once and no other multiple of it is less than 40.

Statement #1: 32 ≤ N ≤ 40

As we move through different N’s in this region, we cross the prime number 37, which will have an exponent of 1 if it appears. Some N’s include this prime number and some don’t, so the number of factors with an exponent of 1 is different for different values of N. This statement, alone and by itself, is not sufficient.

Statement #2: 27 ≤ N ≤ 35

As we move through different N’s in this region, we cross two prime numbers, 29 and 31, each of which will have an exponent of 1 if it appears. Some N’s include neither, some include 29 and not 31, and some include both, so the number of factors with an exponent of 1 is different for different values of N. This statement, alone and by itself, is not sufficient.

Combined: 32 ≤ N ≤ 35

Now, there are no prime values in the range specified. But, here’s a tricky thing. If N = 32 or 33, then either 32! or 33! contains exactly one factor of the prime numbers {17, 23, 29, 31}: four prime factors with an exponent of one. BUT, if N = 34 or 35, there are now two factors of 17 (one from 17 and one from 34), either 34! or 35! contains exactly one factor of the prime numbers {23, 29, 31}: three prime factors with an exponent of one. Even in this narrow range, different choices lead to different answers for the prompt question. Even together, the statements are not sufficient.

Answer = (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Send PM
Lucky2783 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) 30 ≤ N ≤ 40

(2) 25 ≤ N ≤ 35

(1) 30 ≤ N ≤ 40
If N=30 There are say X prime factors with exponent 1.
for N=31 , we have X+1 prime factors with exponent 1.
so we cannot find the total number of primer factor with exponent 1 till we do not know value of N .
Insufficient.

(2) 25 ≤ N ≤ 35
same issue with this statement
if N=25 , in N!, we will have Y prime factors with exponent 1
N=29, Y+1
N=31, Y+2
Insufficient.

Together:
\({30}\le{N}\leq{35}\)
If N=30 There are X prime factors with exponent 1.
but If N=31 There are X+1 prime factors with exponent 1.

Answer E.

This is where I started. I figured if I could find a difference in prime factors in 30<=N<=35, I could go straight to answer E. Did I over look something?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) 30 ≤ N ≤ 40

(2) 25 ≤ N ≤ 35

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

This is a tricky one.

Let’s think about, say, 40! This number, 40!, is the product of all the integers from one to 40. Let’s think about its prime factorization. It would have at least one factor of 2 for every even number from 2 to 40, and a second factor for every multiple of 4, and a third factor for every multiple of 8, etc.; a lot of factors of two. Think about the factors, say, of 7: there are five multiples of 7 from 7 to 35, so in the prime factorization of 40!, the factor 7 would have an exponent of 5. Which factors would have exponents of 1? Well, the prime numbers that are less than N, but have no other multiples less than N. For example, in 40!, the factor 37 would have an exponent of 1 since it appears once and no other multiple of it is less than 40.

Statement #1: 32 ≤ N ≤ 40

As we move through different N’s in this region, we cross the prime number 37, which will have an exponent of 1 if it appears. Some N’s include this prime number and some don’t, so the number of factors with an exponent of 1 is different for different values of N. This statement, alone and by itself, is not sufficient.

Statement #2: 27 ≤ N ≤ 35

As we move through different N’s in this region, we cross two prime numbers, 29 and 31, each of which will have an exponent of 1 if it appears. Some N’s include neither, some include 29 and not 31, and some include both, so the number of factors with an exponent of 1 is different for different values of N. This statement, alone and by itself, is not sufficient.

Combined: 32 ≤ N ≤ 35

Now, there are no prime values in the range specified. But, here’s a tricky thing. If N = 32 or 33, then either 32! or 33! contains exactly one factor of the prime numbers {17, 23, 29, 31}: four prime factors with an exponent of one. BUT, if N = 34 or 35, there are now two factors of 17 (one from 17 and one from 34), either 34! or 35! contains exactly one factor of the prime numbers {23, 29, 31}: three prime factors with an exponent of one. Even in this narrow range, different choices lead to different answers for the prompt question. Even together, the statements are not sufficient.

Answer = (E)

Why 19 is missing from the set of exactly one factor of the prime numbers i.e. {17, 23, 29, 31} ?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3130 [1]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Bunuel and Magoosh
I think this question has a language issue
I marked the answer E
here when you say that how many factors have power of one => " EVERY FACTOR OF THE NUMBER WILL HAVE A POWER OF ONE"
e.g => N=24 say
that N=2^3*3 => It has 8^1 ; 3^1,
or it can have 24^1
Hence i marked it E.
I know you will say it says Prime factorization.
But even if it says prime factorization then too the facyors would be the same .

GMAT like?
I doubt that..!

P.S => in both cases E is the answer

Regards
Stone Cold
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM