Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [118]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [30]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [13]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: If k is an integer greater than 1, is k equal to 2^r for some positive [#permalink]
Kudos
s1 is insufficient because k is at least 64 if it is divisible by 2^6. so, k cannot equal to 2, 2^2 (4), 2^3 (8), 2^4 (16), and 2^5 (32). However, it can equal to 2^6, 2^7, 2^8 ....

s2 is sufficient because if k is larger than 1 and cannot divisible by any odd number, then 2 and any power of 2 are the only factors of k. Therefore, k can equal to any power of 2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: If k is an integer greater than 1, is k equal to 2^r for some positive [#permalink]
Bunuel - you rock man!
Kudos!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
(1) k is divisible by 2^6 - NOT SUFFICIENT - I Agree

(2) k is not divisible by any odd integer greater than 1 - SUFFICIENT - I disagree
This means k is divisible by 2,4,6,8,10,12,14 and so on.
so k can have 2,3,5,7 in its prime factors.

If k can only have 2's or it can have 2's and 3/5/7

So, this is NOT SUFFICIENT.

Please reply if I am missing something here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

Suppose if \(k=64\) and \(r=2\). In such case \(k=2^r\) does not hold true.

What I was thinking that we must have to get value of r in order to prove this..

Please, comment.

Cheers!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618696 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
samark wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Suppose if \(k=64\) and \(r=2\). In such case \(k=2^r\) does not hold true.

What I was thinking that we must have to get value of r in order to prove this..

Please, comment.

Cheers!

I'm not sure I understand your question. If k=64 why it's necessary r to equal to 2?

From (2) we have that the only prime factor of \(k\) is 2 which means \(k=2^r\), for some integer \(r\geq{1}\) --> \(k=64=2^6\), so in this case \(r=6\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
arjunrampal wrote:
If k is an integer greater than 1, is k equal to 2^r for some positive integer r?

(1) k is divisible by 2^6.
(2) k is not divisible by any odd integer greater than 1.

Question: Its a YES or NO question.

Either k=2^r or not, we need to get a definite answer thats all, r>0

(1) k is divisible by 2^6.

2^6 * x =k

x could be anything, 1,2,3,4 etc =>Not sufficient

(2) k is not divisible by any odd integer greater than 1.

well okay, so 3,5,7 etc are all out of the loop, anything that involves odd no's, then that leaves us only even no's to work with.

and even no's are all multiple of 2, so yeah, for some positive r? k=2^r is possible.

Sufficient.

Ans: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
If k is an integer greater than 1, is k equal to 2^r for some positive integer r? (D)
(1) k is divisible by 2^6
(2) k is not divisible by any odd integer greater than 1

Now here we have the word "some".
Stmnt 1 is true for some values of r = 7,8,etc

So why is it insufficient ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
shahrukh0603 wrote:
If k is an integer greater than 1, is k equal to 2^r for some positive integer r? (D)

I know it gives you different answers but the question also says "some". Not getting this discrepancy.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
shahrukh0603 wrote:
shahrukh0603 wrote:

I know it gives you different answers but the question also says "some". Not getting this discrepancy.

Dear shahrukh0603,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, this is a very specialized use of the word "some," a use quite different from the use in ordinary language, but a use typical of mathematics.

When a problem is specifying a precise mathematical condition, it uses the term "some value" to mean "a unique and in existence but currently unknown value." That is the sense of the word in this problem. You see, not in GMAT math, but in higher mathematics, many many proofs are "existence proofs." For example, if you have taken calculus, the Mean Value Theorem is an existence theorem: it merely guarantees that a particular value, the mean value, exists----it doesn't give us any concrete ideas about how to find that value. With the Mean Value Theorem, it's relatively simple to do the calculation to solve, but with many problem in levels of math far beyond calculus, all we have is the proof of existence: we have no way to know how to find the value whose existence is guaranteed.

This prompt question uses the word "some" in the sense of mathematical existence, not in the ordinary colloquial sense. In other words, it is saying,

If k is an integer greater than 1, does there exist a particular positive integer r, such that k = 2^r?

The problem with Statement #1 is that it gives a maybe answer to this precise question.

If k = 2^8, then r = 8, the unique value exists. Answer = Yes.

If k = 5(2^8), then there is no possible positive integer value of r such that k = 2^r (the value of r would be 8 + ln(5)/ln(2) = 10.32192809..., which is not an integer---you do not need to know how to find that expression or value for the GMAT). Answer = No.

Since both a yes and a no answer are possible, this statement is insufficient.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts