GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 04:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

If n is an integer, the greatest possible value of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
If n is an integer, the greatest possible value of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 07:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (00:59) correct 39% (01:46) wrong based on 1343 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If n is an integer, the greatest possible value of the expression: 12 - |32 - 7n| is

A. -20
B. 1
C. 8
D. 9
E. 12

I know to answer this correctly I can just plug in numbers. I was wondering is there any tricks to solving it faster.
Thanks.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: Are there any tricks to solving this question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 09:00
PASSINGGMAT wrote:
if n is an integer, the greatest possible value of the expression: 12 - |32 - 7n| is

A) -20
B) 1
C) 8
D) 9
E) 12

I know to answer this correctly I can just plug in numbers. I was wondering is there any tricks to solving it faster.
Thanks.

Algebraic approach:

The greatest possible value of the expression \(12-|32-7n|\) will be for the least value of \(|32-7n|\). Now, the least possible value of an absolute value is 0 --> \(|32-7n|=0\) --> \(n=\frac{32}{7}=4\frac{4}{7}\), but we are told that \(n\) is an integer so the least value of \(|32-7n|\) will be for \(n=5\) (the closest integer value to \(4\frac{4}{7}\)) --> \(n=5\) --> \(12-|32-7n|=12-3=9\).

Answer: D.

Similar question from OG: if-y-is-an-integer-then-the-least-possible-value-of-139867.html

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

General Discussion
Math Expert
V
Re: If n is an integer, the greatest possible value of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2013, 00:44
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Abolute Values: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

DS Abolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37
PS Abolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

Hard set on Abolute Values: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2013, 01:35
Let the greatest possible value be x.

1. For n>4, i.e., when the value within the modulus is negative, the modulus becomes, -(32-7n)
12- (- (32-7n))=x
12+32-7n=x
x=44-7n
so when n>4, x is greatest for n=5 and the value of x is 9.

2. For n<=4 , the modulus is 32-7n
12-(32-7n)=x
So when n<=4, the greatest value of x is 8

So , of the two, x=9 is the greater value.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Holistic Solutions
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 17:54
PASSINGGMAT wrote:
If n is an integer, the greatest possible value of the expression: 12 - |32 - 7n| is

A. -20
B. 1
C. 8
D. 9
E. 12

Thanks.

good one...so...we need to get the greatest possible value..we have an absolute value..thus, it will always be positive.
since n must be an integer, 7n can't be 32. it can be either 28, or 35. in case it's 35, then we have |-3|. in case it is 28, then |4|. since we have a minus sign, we would rather have |-3|, since 12-3=9, but 12-4=8. thus, the max value is 9.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 09:56
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
Let the greatest possible value be x.

1. For n>4, i.e., when the value within the modulus is negative, the modulus becomes, -(32-7n)
12- (- (32-7n))=x
12+32-7n=x
x=44-7n
so when n>4, x is greatest for n=5 and the value of x is 9.

2. For n<=4 , the modulus is 32-7n
12-(32-7n)=x
So when n<=4, the greatest value of x is 8

So , of the two, x=9 is the greater value.

x is greatest for n = 5; x is 9 , when n = 6; x is 2
so greatest x =9

I welcome analysis on my posts and kudo +1 if helpful. It helps me to improve my craft.Thank you

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 00:20
My approach, no difficult algebra needed, but please correct me if i'm wrong. I'm still learning!:

First look at |32 - 7n|.

On the number line you would be at number 32 with 7n to the left en 7n to the right. The question asks for the greatest possible value of 12 - X.
X stands for |32 - 7n|. So you know X must be small in order for the formula to turn out big.

You know n is an integer, and you know X needs to be small, so:
32-7*4=4 (Let's try one more)
32-7*5=-3 (Bingo)

-3 it is. (Absolute value, so 3)

12-3=9. There you go.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.12
WE: Education (Internet and New Media)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 01:07
maximum value for the expression
12-mod(x)
to maximise the value of the expression x must be minimum
mod(x)=35-7x
x=4 mod x =4
x=5 mod x =3
x=6 mod x =7

Hence max value of the expression =9

Never stop fighting until you arrive at your destined place - that is, the unique you. Have an aim in life, continuously acquire knowledge, work hard, and have the perseverance to realise the great life. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 03:28
Let's think of it like this -

n is an integer so 7n must also be an integer. Correct?

Now the question asks for the greatest value, for this the part in the modulus needs to be be the smallest value. (The smaller the number is from 12 the better)

Inside the modulus we have 2 numbers |32-7n|

So, the value of 7n should be as close to the number 32 as possible to get a small value.

What multiples of 7 is the closest to 32? --->>> You guessed it right it is 35. That means n=5, (since 7x5=35)

So now let's get to the simple math -

32-35=-3, Since there is modulus, it will only be 3

Next -> 12-3=9. Which is the greatest value of the expression

Answer D
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If n is an integer, the greatest possible value of the &nbs [#permalink] 30 Aug 2018, 03:28

If n is an integer, the greatest possible value of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap