It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x and y are positive, is x < y?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 47 [3], given: 3

If x and y are positive, is x < y? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 01:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:42) correct 37% (00:49) wrong based on 500 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

(1) \(\sqrt{x} < \sqrt{y}\)
(2) \((x-3)^2 < (y-3)^2\)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 47 [3], given: 3

Expert Post
21 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135178 [21], given: 12671

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(1) \(\sqrt{x} < \sqrt{y}\). Since both sides of the inequality are positive (the square root from a positive number is positive), then we can safely square: x < y. Directly answers the question. Sufficient.

(2) \((x-3)^2 < (y-3)^2\). If \(x=3\) and \(y\neq 3\), the inequality will hold true: the left hand side will be 0, while the right hand side will be more than 0. Thus, if \(x=3\), y can be less than 3, giving a NO answer to the question, as well as more than 3, giving an YES answer to the question. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135178 [21], given: 12671

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6083 [5], given: 121

Re: if x and y are positive, is x<y? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Gurshaans wrote:
if x and y are positive, is x<y?

Hi,
we know that x and y are positive..
is x<y?

lets see the statements

we can say that ans is YES,
but lets solve it algebrically too..
is x<y can be written as x-y<0..
\(\sqrt{x}^2-\sqrt{y}^2\)<0..
\((\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y})(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}) <0\)..
\((\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}) >0\), as x and y are +ive,
so we have to find
if \((\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y})<0\) or \(\sqrt{x}<\sqrt{y}\)..
statement 1 tells us exactly this..
SUFF

It will hold in many cases : two case
a) if x = 1 and y= 7.. y>x
b) if x= 4 and y=1.. y<x.
two different answers
Insuff

A

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6083 [5], given: 121

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 3

Re: If x and y are positive, is x < y? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 02:49
Hi guys, thank you for your explanations Bunuel chetan2u . I have a question, I wanted to understand why we cant use an algebraic approach on the second statement? Since we have squares on either side, can't we take take the square root on either side, which would give us x - 3 < y - 3, then by adding 3 on either side we get x < y .. ? This is exactly what I did and marked D as the answer when I saw this question for the first time. From both the posts, my understanding is that we cant do what i mentioned earlier because we wouldn't know after taking the root whether x-3 and y-3 are positive or negative... Is this right? or am I mistaken? I'm asking this because I do not want to be confused in the exam under time pressure.. for example what would have happened had the question not specified that x and y are positive... and the first statement was x^2<y^2... ? would the answer in that case be E... Sorry about the long post, I just wanted clarity on this.. I do NOT want to get a 600-700 level question wrong in the exam.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135178 [3], given: 12671

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 03:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Gurshaans wrote:
Hi guys, thank you for your explanations Bunuel chetan2u . I have a question, I wanted to understand why we cant use an algebraic approach on the second statement? Since we have squares on either side, can't we take take the square root on either side, which would give us x - 3 < y - 3, then by adding 3 on either side we get x < y .. ? This is exactly what I did and marked D as the answer when I saw this question for the first time. From both the posts, my understanding is that we cant do what i mentioned earlier because we wouldn't know after taking the root whether x-3 and y-3 are positive or negative... Is this right? or am I mistaken? I'm asking this because I do not want to be confused in the exam under time pressure.. for example what would have happened had the question not specified that x and y are positive... and the first statement was x^2<y^2... ? would the answer in that case be E... Sorry about the long post, I just wanted clarity on this.. I do NOT want to get a 600-700 level question wrong in the exam.

MUST KNOW: \(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\):

The point here is that since square root function cannot give negative result then \(\sqrt{some \ expression}\geq{0}\).

So \(\sqrt{x^2}\geq{0}\). But what does \(\sqrt{x^2}\) equal to?

Let's consider following examples:
If \(x=5\) --> \(\sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{25}=5=x=positive\);
If \(x=-5\) --> \(\sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{25}=5=-x=positive\).

So we got that:
\(\sqrt{x^2}=x\), if \(x\geq{0}\);
\(\sqrt{x^2}=-x\), if \(x<0\).

What function does exactly the same thing? The absolute value function: \(|x|=x\), if \(x\geq{0}\) and \(|x|=-x\), if \(x<0\). That is why \(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\).

BACK TO THE QUESTION:

According to the above if you take the square root from \((x-3)^2 < (y-3)^2\) you'll get |x - 3| < |y - 3|, which means that the distance between x and 3 is less than the distance between y and 3, which is not sufficient to say whether x < y.

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Kudos [?]: 135178 [3], given: 12671

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 03:59
Hi bunuel,
Does this mean given 16<25, can we assume that square root of these will have the same sign?
Bunuel

Does x^2
Posted from my mobile device

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135178 [0], given: 12671

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 04:04
rahulkashyap wrote:
Hi bunuel,
Does this mean given 16<25, can we assume that square root of these will have the same sign?
Bunuel

Does x^2

If we take the square root from 16 < 25 we get 4 < 5.

As for your second question it is addressed in my previous post: x^2
Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 04:06
Bunuel, but it can also be that square root of 16 can be 4 and square root of 25 be - 5, in which case 4>-5
Bunuel

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6083 [0], given: 121

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 04:09
rahulkashyap wrote:
Bunuel, but it can also be that square root of 16 can be 4 and square root of 25 be - 5, in which case 4>-5
Bunuel

hi,
square root is always positive so \(\sqrt{25}\) will always be 5

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6083 [0], given: 121

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 04:10
Hi, could u pls explain that statement? According to me -5x-5 gives 25, so does 5x5

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 04:12
rahulkashyap wrote:
Bunuel

You should go through basics again before attempting the questions.

When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as \(\sqrt{x}\) or \(\sqrt[4]{x}\), then the only accepted answer is the positive root.

That is, \(\sqrt{25}=5\), NOT +5 or -5. In contrast, the equation \(x^2=25\) has TWO solutions, +5 and -5. Even roots have only a positive value on the GMAT.

P.S. You might find the following post useful: All You Need for Quant

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 04:24
Sorry, so only when there's an x² term can we assume it gives positive /negative when we take the root?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: LBS '18, IE April '17
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2016, 08:22
The problem can be solved using arbitrary numbers which are positive:

So as per 1) √x<√y
let the values be √4 and √9. Since all positive numbers will always satisfy this relation. Hence 4 is less than 9.
This implies x<y. There cannot be a scenario wherein given the above relation (A) x will be greater than y(√x or y will always give a positive result). Hence Ist statement is sufficient.

2) (x-3)^2<(y-3)^2

Lets again take two arbitrary numbers to satisfy this equation:

Case I) (4-3)^2<(5-3)^2 (taking x and y as 4 & 5)

Hence 1<4.

CASE II - Lets test the relation with x as 4 and y as 1

(4-3)^2 = 1 < (1-3)^2 = 4 here 1<4 again however x>y
we can get multiple cases like these for other numbers as well (try fractions also)
Basically if you try inserting values of x which are bigger in magnitude however closer to 3 then the squared value will be lesser as compared to a number y which although smaller in magnitude but far away from 3.

Hence statement 2 alone cannot be sufficient to answer.

Hence answer is A)

(Give kudos if you like the solution)

Give kudos and appreciate if you think its worthwhile

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Schools: Wharton '19 (A)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 11:19

(1) sqrt (x) < sqrt (y)
(2) (x-3)^2 < (y-2)^2

--------------------------------------------------

(1) Sufficient because you square both sides and since they are positive numbers x < y
(2) Take the sqrt of both sides and get (x-3) <(y-3). Because we are taking the sqrt ourselves, I thought only the positive situation (x-3) < (y-3) was possible? In that case, isn't this sufficient? OA is A.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 12:24
Sqrt(x^2) = |X|. We are given that x and y are positive, but x-3 and y-2 can result in negative values.
Now for statement 2, assume x = 3 and y = 1. This is true and here x > y.
Now for the 2nd statement x =3 and y =4. This is again true and here x < y. So statement 2 is not sufficient. Hence A.

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 165

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 09:48
BACK TO THE QUESTION:

According to the above if you take the square root from \((x-3)^2 < (y-3)^2\) you'll get |x - 3| < |y - 3|, which means that the distance between x and 3 is less than the distance between y and 3, which is not sufficient to say whether x < y.

Hope it helps.

Dear Bunuel,

Stem tells x>0 and y>0, so why cannot we take (x-3)<(y-3) as it is since we know the signs for both x and y.

In that case, I thought x was indeed less than y. Pls let me know why this is wrong?

Thnak you

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 07:15
Liza99 wrote:
BACK TO THE QUESTION:

Hope it helps.

Dear Bunuel,

Stem tells x>0 and y>0, so why cannot we take (x-3)<(y-3) as it is since we know the signs for both x and y.

In that case, I thought x was indeed less than y. Pls let me know why this is wrong?

Thnak you

We know that |x| = x, when \(x \geq{0}\) (so |something| = something, when that something is >=0) and |x| = -x, when \(x \leq{0}\) (so |something| = -something, when that something is =<0).

Know for positive x, x-3 (expression in modulus) can be positive (when x>3) as well as negative (when x<3), thus |x-3| = x-3, when x>3 and |x-3| = -(x-3), when x<3. Thus knowing that x>0 is not enough to say that |x-3| = x-3.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 09:35
THANK YOU BUNUEL !!! QUANT GOD!

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 122

Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 20:44
Bunuel wrote:
Gurshaans wrote:

The point here is that since square root function cannot give negative result then \(\sqrt{some \ expression}\geq{0}\).

So we got that:

What function does exactly the same thing? The absolute value function: \(|x|=x\), if \(x\geq{0}\) and \(|x|=-x\), if \(x<0\). That is why \(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\).

BACK TO THE QUESTION:

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel, I can't get this statement clear, can you help?

|x - 3| < |y - 3|, which means that the distance between x and 3 is less than the distance between y and 3.

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 122

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 22:08
Cez005 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Gurshaans wrote:

So we got that:

BACK TO THE QUESTION:

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel, I can't get this statement clear, can you help?

|x - 3| < |y - 3|, which means that the distance between x and 3 is less than the distance between y and 3.

Absolute value a number is the distance between this number and 0. For example, |x| is the distance from 0 to x. Similarly |x - 3| is the distance between x-3 and 0 or between x and 3.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: If x and y are positive, is x < y?   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2017, 22:08

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap