Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:23 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: IIM Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Background and nationality: Indian IT Female 30 yrs

Undergrad Information : B.E in Instrumentation and Control from tier 2 College, Chennai

GMAT:740

Work experience and leadership : Been with one of the Large IT companies in India for the entirety of my career (completing 9 yrs this September).

Currently donning the role of Technical Architect of a medium sized project and handling the development team for the same.

Extra curriculars : Trained classical Veena player. Have a few winning certificates in college events for events like Extempore, etc(Not sure if it'll be relevant). Volunteer for my RWA (300 households).

Post MBA goals : Want to take Product Management role in a Tech Company . Second preference is Management Consulting.

Anything else? : What do I highlight in my professional experience ? My experience I believe is a typical one in Indian tech giants, with a few awards received periodically.

Target Schools : IIM A,B,C, ISB
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Hello JANAN19

Interesting profile, with a decent shot provided you present your work experience well.
Academic fit looks good with a good GMAT score.
Coming to work experience, with 9 years, you'll be expected to show stronger achievements than an average applicant. More than your technical contribution, talk about your professional progression and impact on your business or that of your clients. And keep in mind that awards are not achievements, they are a result of those achievements.
Moving on, while your work experience is in IT and will bring a lot of competition, your extracurricular look strong enough to help you stand out. Hope most of these were recent (university level extracurricular may not add much weight). Just like work experience show impact or transferable skills.
Lastly, on career goals front, product management looks organic and realistic. On management consulting, I'd recommend do some more research on fit with your profile and years of work experience.

You may want to read here on what factors work in a profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
https://gmatclub.com/chat- +918452954888
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

JANAN19 wrote:

Undergrad Information : B.E in Instrumentation and Control from tier 2 College, Chennai

Work experience and leadership : Been with one of the Large IT companies in India for the entirety of my career (completing 9 yrs this September).

Currently donning the role of Technical Architect of a medium sized project and handling the development team for the same.

Extra curriculars : Trained classical Veena player. Have a few winning certificates in college events for events like Extempore, etc(Not sure if it'll be relevant). Volunteer for my RWA (300 households).

Post MBA goals : Want to take Product Management role in a Tech Company . Second preference is Management Consulting.

Anything else? : What do I highlight in my professional experience ? My experience I believe is a typical one in Indian tech giants, with a few awards received periodically.

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
HEMANTH518 wrote:
Hello all !

Please evaluate my profile

Indian Male 28
Industry: Construction
Acads:
PG Diploma in Construction Management - Tier 2 college - CGPA:8.7
B.Tech Civil Engineering - Well reputed Autonomous College in Telangana - 79%
12th - 92%
10th - 84%

GMAT: 680
Work experience: 5 Years in Infrastructure Development like Underground Metros and Tunnels. Working in Tata Projects Limited as Deputy Manager - Quantity Surveyor. Roles majorly include negotiating & finalizing contract terms with vendors, reconciling resources provided, maintaining cashflow, reviewing financial progress of project
Strengths - Ability to hold good relations with stakeholders, Negotiations

Post MBA Goals: Want to work in Supply Chain & Logistic industry

Co-Curricular activities: Won few few football tournaments at University Level. Represented my University in Athletics during my graduation.

Target schools: IIM A,B,C and ISB

Please evaluate.
Thank You

Hi HEMANTH518,

Thanks for sharing the details.

In so far as your profile and career goals are concerned, a lot seems to be in place, provided you are able to put forth your story in a way that highlights your achievements and skills in a compelling manner. The extra-curricular activities currently seem to revolve around athletics alone; thus, unless there is something that you have missed mentioning, this portion is somewhat weak.

With regard to the GMAT score, we urge you to take the test again; a 680 is fairly under the average and a higher GMAT score (something above a 720) will help make up for the weak aspects in your profile while giving you a very competitive chance.

Thanks.

All the best!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
JANAN19 wrote:

Hello JANAN19,

Hope this finds you well.

The GMAT score good and will definitely add value to your overall case; though, we feel that with 9 years of work experience, it is a bit late in the day for a career in management consulting.

In so far as your professional experience goes, besides the awards, you must focus on the impact you generated at work, career progression (talk specifically about the teams you led and the responsibilities you shouldered), and, of course, the skills you garnered along the way; the schools will look for strong managerial and problem-solving abilities in your profile and you must make an attempt to showcase the same.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: IIMB EPGP"18
Send PM
Hi Janan19,

Your GMAT score is excellent; however, you are in the IT sector, which is a very competitive sector for MBA admissions. Since you have 9 years of experience and all of it in one company, I would suggest you focus a lot on your learnings and motivations over these years. Also with the high experience you have, you should show clarity of thought on why you need an MBA now.
It is essential for your application to stand out amongst others and hence, I would suggest that you start working on your application and find the right points to showcase.

All the best, if you have any additional questions, feel free to PM.

Regards,
Trdisha

JANAN19 wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi Hemanth,

I don't see a reason why your profile will not make it to IIM A, B, C, and ISB. The GMAT score is a little lower than the class average, but we have worked with multiple candidates with scores in the range of 640-700 range who have successfully converted to these schools in the last few years.

In your profile, it will be key to focus on what has prompted you to explore the world of MBAs, why you want another master's degree, your learnings and understanding of the infra world, and your achievements. Additionally, your post-MBA goals should be feasible and align well with your skillsets. I would urge you to start working on developing an impactful application and essays that can help you differentiate from the herd.

Regards,
Tridisha

HEMANTH518 wrote:
Hello all !

Indian Male 28
Acads:
12th - 92%
10th - 84%

Work experience: 5 Years in Infrastructure Development like Underground Metros and Tunnels. Working in Tata Projects Limited as Deputy Manager - Quantity Surveyor. Roles majorly include negotiating & finalizing contract terms with vendors, reconciling resources provided, maintaining cashflow, reviewing financial progress of project

Co-Curricular activities: Won few few football tournaments at University Level. Represented my University in Athletics during my graduation.

Please evaluate.
Thank You
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello All,

Please evaluate my profile. Tridisha1 ExpertsGlobal

Indian, Male , 29 Yr

Acads:
B.E. - electronics & communication with 6.9 CGPA
12th - 79%
10th - 76%

GMAT: yet to take but will manage to get 710+

Work Ex: 9+ years.

Work Profile: Always been involved in business development and sales profile for manufacturer industry since graduation. Currently working for Dutch based MNC from last 5+ years and I am responsible for revenue and business development for India region. I was promoted last year January and was suppose to expand my region to south east Asia but then covid happen.

Why MBA? : well, I am an engineer turned sales professional. I do not have formal education or training about sales or business development and it sometimes become hurdle for new & better opportunities. Also I would like to learn more about business development, strategies, & sales and to improve my skills under academic setting & peer learning.

Post MBA: Business Strategy, Business Development, General Management

Target B Schools: IIM A/ B/ C

Thanking you in advance.

Jatin A.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello JatinAgharaGmat

Overall looks good to go, with a BD/sales role and your target GMAT, there's no evident weakness in the profile.
In fact you can build an interesting narrative by showing the transition into a sales role from engineering background. I'm pretty sure there are many stories to show a measurable impact of your contributions.
Future goals also look organic, just need to show what skill gaps you want the MBA to fill.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

JatinAgharaGmat wrote:
Hello All,

Indian, Male , 29 Yr

Acads:
12th - 79%
10th - 76%

Work Profile: Always been involved in business development and sales profile for manufacturer industry since graduation. Currently working for Dutch based MNC from last 5+ years and I am responsible for revenue and business development for India region. I was promoted last year January and was suppose to expand my region to south east Asia but then covid happen.

Why MBA? : well, I am an engineer turned sales professional. I do not have formal education or training about sales or business development and it sometimes become hurdle for new & better opportunities. Also I would like to learn more about business development, strategies, & sales and to improve my skills under academic setting & peer learning.

Thanking you in advance.

Jatin A.

Current Student
Send PM
Thank you for your reply MBAkarma . I do have some interesting stories about and during that transition.

Sine you have mentioned it, I do have one more query now. Do B school segregate/classify profile based on qualification or on nature of work ?
I mean as per my qualifications I belong to most competitive male engineer category but I am not involved in any technical work profile.

It may help me fetch call at lower gmat score and may help me convert it :lol: :lol:

MBAkarma wrote:
Hello JatinAgharaGmat

Overall looks good to go, with a BD/sales role and your target GMAT, there's no evident weakness in the profile.
In fact you can build an interesting narrative by showing the transition into a sales role from engineering background. I'm pretty sure there are many stories to show a measurable impact of your contributions.
Future goals also look organic, just need to show what skill gaps you want the MBA to fill.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

JatinAgharaGmat wrote:
Hello All,

Indian, Male , 29 Yr

Acads:
12th - 79%
10th - 76%

Thanking you in advance.

Jatin A.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Schools will look at both education and work experience.
You're an engineer who got into sales/BD. What is important is the story/rationale behind that decision (past), how well have you made of that opportunity (present) and where do you want it to lead to (future).
How you present your experience will decide whether it can compensate for a lower GMAT (heaven forbid)

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

JatinAgharaGmat wrote:
Thank you for your reply MBAkarma . I do have some interesting stories about and during that transition.

Sine you have mentioned it, I do have one more query now. Do B school segregate/classify profile based on qualification or on nature of work ?
I mean as per my qualifications I belong to most competitive male engineer category but I am not involved in any technical work profile.

It may help me fetch call at lower gmat score and may help me convert it :lol: :lol:

MBAkarma wrote:
Hello JatinAgharaGmat

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

JatinAgharaGmat wrote:
Hello All,

Indian, Male , 29 Yr

Acads:
12th - 79%
10th - 76%

Thanking you in advance.

Jatin A.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hey I'm currently in my final year of undergrad (pursuing in India) and I'm planning to apply to IIM A PGP this year for the 2022 intake. Wanted to know my chances at getting into the program. Thanks!

Undergrad: Bachelors in Business Administration with specialisation in Finance from a top 10 university for the mentioned program in India
Nationality: US Citizen
GPA: 3.8/4 (4 semesters average) - distinction
GMAT/GRE: planning to give it this year; hoping to score +730
Work experience: (1) Internship at BNP Paribas - Sharekhan as a financial analyst for two months (2) Internship at Bright network - Ernst and Young as a financial analyst for 1 month (3) Latham and Watkins Virtual Internship - legal assistant with prime area being White collar defence and investigation for 1 month (4) Interned with an Advocate on record at Supreme court of India as a Legal research assistant (5) Internship at Finlatics as a Portfolio Analyst for 1 month
Community and others: (1) Research paper on “Economics of Terrorism” (2) Research paper on “Islamic Banking” (3) Article on “Financialization of Housing: The New Era Perspective” (4) Volunteered at a local school to help teach underprivileged children for two months (5) Associated with one of India's premier dance companies as a trained jazz dancer with over 5 years of experience
Post master goals: Financial analyst at a Big4 or Big3

Kindly let me know how I can improve my profile and if I have a decent shot at getting into the program. Further recommendations are also appreciated. Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi Jatin,

I think your profile is on par with those that make it to IIM A, B, and C. If you get a GMAT score of around 700+, you should be good to go. From the limited information provided, I can say that while you are an Engineer, you have successfully shifted fields. You should focus on this shift and your learnings from the same. With your level of experience, your reasons for pursuing MBA, and your goals after the program should be crystal clear. Also, focus on bringing out the key factors that can help you differentiate yourself from many other engineers who apply to these programs.

Overall, you are good to go. Get GMAT out of the way soon and then focus on building a stellar application and essays/SOP.

Regards,
Tridisha

JatinAgharaGmat wrote:
Hello All,

Indian, Male , 29 Yr

Acads:
12th - 79%
10th - 76%

Thanking you in advance.

Jatin A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi Aditi,

This thread is for profile review for the 1 year MBA programs and not PGP (2-year program). However, let me give this a shot. For you, your CAT/GMAT score will decide a lot of factors. Your profile does look different from the mass of engineers who apply to these programs. Your background and internship experience in Finance, research papers in varied domains, volunteer experience, and extra-curricular should help you stand out.
Focus on highlighting these strong points in your application and SOP/Essay (the short one asked by most colleges) and you should be good to go.

Regards,
Tridisha

Aditi123a wrote:
Hey I'm currently in my final year of undergrad (pursuing in India) and I'm planning to apply to IIM A PGP this year for the 2022 intake. Wanted to know my chances at getting into the program. Thanks!

Undergrad: Bachelors in Business Administration with specialisation in Finance from a top 10 university for the mentioned program in India
Nationality: US Citizen
GPA: 3.8/4 (4 semesters average) - distinction
GMAT/GRE: planning to give it this year; hoping to score +730
Work experience: (1) Internship at BNP Paribas - Sharekhan as a financial analyst for two months (2) Internship at Bright network - Ernst and Young as a financial analyst for 1 month (3) Latham and Watkins Virtual Internship - legal assistant with prime area being White collar defence and investigation for 1 month (4) Interned with an Advocate on record at Supreme court of India as a Legal research assistant (5) Internship at Finlatics as a Portfolio Analyst for 1 month
Community and others: (1) Research paper on “Economics of Terrorism” (2) Research paper on “Islamic Banking” (3) Article on “Financialization of Housing: The New Era Perspective” (4) Volunteered at a local school to help teach underprivileged children for two months (5) Associated with one of India's premier dance companies as a trained jazz dancer with over 5 years of experience
Post master goals: Financial analyst at a Big4 or Big3

Kindly let me know how I can improve my profile and if I have a decent shot at getting into the program. Further recommendations are also appreciated. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Guys I'm planning on hiring an admission consultant. Can some one help me with some reviews

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Aekagra wrote:
MBAFightClub wrote:
Aekagra wrote:
Hi all !

Profile evaluation requested

Indian Male 33
Industry: BSFI
Acads:
B.Tech Biotechnology (Biochemical tech)- Tier 2/3 college
CGPA: 8.78
PG diploma in banking from Manipal university. CGPA:8.3
GMAT: Yet to attempt
Work experience: 10 years in ICICI bank. Currently heading an operations unit with turnover of 1000Cr cash volumes on monthly basis. Taking care of ATMs and branches of whole western and southern M.P in terms of currency flom and management. Job includes liaison with RBI, ALC, police authorities and other law enforcement agencies on bank matters. Managing RBI and internal audits. Drafting reverts and submission for compliance. Also responsible for product improvement (Cash is referred as product here). Part of team which reviews SOPs for the group. Part of team engaged in software development for efficient cash management- work includes BRS creation, inputs for UI/UX design, module testing and post go live monitoring. Few of projects inclined towards capability building in team and driving for complete west zone (1000 employees).
Community: Member of Zomato feeding India at Indore chapter. Handeled media team for spreading awareness among public of the city. Got certificate of appreciation from ZFI.
Post MBA Goals: Want move into fintech in product or project management from traditional banking as I firmly believe that next 20 years whole banking, payment and lending landscape will change. MBA will be a stepping stone towards my goal.

Target schools: IIM A,B and ISB(Less inclined towards ISB)

Please evaluate. TIA

Hi Aekagra,

Thank you for sharing your profile.

Lets start with the attractive of your profile -
1. You have good experience in a stellar leadership role. Handling operational unit with 1000 employees and facing complexity of the role along with the tremendous responsibility is no mean feat. This will make your application stand out.
2. Your domain of expertise is evergreen. Candidates with financial background are always in demand in one year MBAs. This will make your application attractive.
3. Your profile has the work exposure to digital world (Software development), which when combined with financial domain sells like hot cakes!!
4. Your community work adds good points to your overall profile.

But, there are some aspects in your profile where you will need some good points to project it in a better way. One, is the banking after biotechnology. Second, if your post MBA goal is fintech product/project management, then why explicitly a MBA? (You are already handling large team with huge responsibility which involves operations, finance, HR, stakeholder management, leadership skills, then what skills are you exactly aiming to enhance in MBA?)

Considering your profile and experience of over 10 years, IIMA PGPX will be the best place for you. You can keep IIMB EPGP and ISB PGP as back up colleges. Infact IIMC MBAeX will be as good as any other specially for finance background.

A GMAT score of 680 to 690 will put you in a good position for any of these colleges. (Considering your work ex and profile -- for candidates with richer experience, average GMAT is lower).

But, since you have still not attempted GMAT, you should aim as high as possible!!

Best wishes.

Thanks for evaluating my profing. You have highlighted a very important aspect on why MBA when I am already handling such a role. Would like your take on below reason:
My current job includes supervision of operational activities and liaison with different regulators and business stakeholders for running smooth operations. Firstly projects in cash management are limited in my org. and my engagement in projects is limited to subject matter expert so I act as consultant for IT team. I wish to completely move into projects management which is not possible for me while pursuing my current role. Internal transfers are not easy and not getting opportunity outside.

Hi Aekagra,

The reason that you mentioned for MBA are the genuine reasons for pursuing an MBA for the candidates. But still it requires more refinement - 1) In terms of specificity i.e. any candidate with the similar profile may put forward the same reason. Why Aekagra? Your explanation must bring out your personality to the fore. 2) To be prepared for the counter question- most post MBA roles specifically for experienced graduates are in some specific domains requiring a certain level of subject matter expertise. So your answer should be such that it covers this counter argument.

Hope it helps. Do contact us for a detailed discussion if required!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
HEMANTH518 wrote:
Hello all !

Indian Male 28
Acads:
12th - 92%
10th - 84%

Please evaluate.
Thank You

Hi Hemanth,

Your profile has some of the interesting points :
1) The domain of your work is different. Not many candidates in the race are from the construction background. Certain companies like KEC (RPG group) etc specifically require such expertise to recruit in senior management roles post MBA. So your profile is an "employable" profile for the colleges.
2) The post MBA goal is aligned with your previous work experience
3) The role at your company entails a lot of negotiation and stakeholder management, a quality much demanded in MBA candidates.
4) University level sports player is a big plus.

But the big question is whether GMAT of 680 is enough? Well, the average GMAT scores of the colleges that you have mentioned varies between 685 to 710. So, there will be about 30-40% candidates in these colleges with a GMAT score lower than you. If they can qualify, why cant you? Definitely, you need to prepare a better quality of application than average candidates to compensate for the GMAT marks.

And that's where we have the expertise. Do contact us for detailed discussion. But you are very well within the race. If you can improve the GMAT then its always better and if not, its not so decisive!!
Current Student
Send PM
Thank you Tridisha for your inputs.
I will get the GMAT score and then I will contact to you again for the application & essay writing.

Tridisha1 wrote:
Hi Jatin,

I think your profile is on par with those that make it to IIM A, B, and C. If you get a GMAT score of around 700+, you should be good to go. From the limited information provided, I can say that while you are an Engineer, you have successfully shifted fields. You should focus on this shift and your learnings from the same. With your level of experience, your reasons for pursuing MBA, and your goals after the program should be crystal clear. Also, focus on bringing out the key factors that can help you differentiate yourself from many other engineers who apply to these programs.

Overall, you are good to go. Get GMAT out of the way soon and then focus on building a stellar application and essays/SOP.

Regards,
Tridisha

JatinAgharaGmat wrote:
Hello All,

Indian, Male , 29 Yr

Acads:
12th - 79%
10th - 76%

Thanking you in advance.

Jatin A.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  26   27   28   29   30   31   32  ...  43